T Nation

Toning Myth

I’ll sometimes come across people on other forums who REFUSE to believe that low weight high rep training won’t make them “toned”. While I don’t really care if they’re close-minded to realise that they’re wrong, it does annoy me that it leads others to believe them. Does anybody know of a link to a very good article that explains this in-depth, if possible by a high-profile trainer? I searched on here, but couldn’t find one.

Thanks

what does an article prove ?

wouldnt it be better to show them a pic of yourself as proof ? thats assuming that your training style has brought you enough results to prove the “toning myth” is false .

its as simple as this:

plus 15 = muscular endurance

8-12 = optimum size gains

under 8 = strength

Meaning thats where your primary focus will be, it dosent mean you wont be making strength gains if your doing 15 plus reps you just wont be making as good of gains at that intensity. and visa versa

[quote]FLABREZU wrote:
I’ll sometimes come across people on other forums who REFUSE to believe that low weight high rep training won’t make them “toned”. While I don’t really care if they’re close-minded to realise that they’re wrong, it does annoy me that it leads others to believe them. Does anybody know of a link to a very good article that explains this in-depth, if possible by a high-profile trainer? I searched on here, but couldn’t find one.

Thanks[/quote]

Why try to prove a point to an ignorant person?

[quote]marlboroman wrote:

wouldnt it be better to show them a pic of yourself as proof ? thats assuming that your training style has brought you enough results to prove the “toning myth” is false .[/quote]

better yet, have marlboroman send them a pic, he’s obviously massive and ripped judging by his attitude, he’ll easily disprove the myth with his incredible physique

I lift heavy. Very seldomly will I go above 10-12 reps.

Tell them that to get toned or ripped they must deplete the muscle of glycogen and cause the body to burn fat for fuel. Mostly occurs in a low carb and caloric deficit diet. U can deplete a muscle of glycogen by lifting heavy…trust me. lol

DG

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
I lift heavy. Very seldomly will I go above 10-12 reps.

Tell them that to get toned or ripped they must deplete the muscle of glycogen and cause the body to burn fat for fuel. Mostly occurs in a low carb and caloric deficit diet. U can deplete a muscle of glycogen by lifting heavy…trust me. lol

DG[/quote]

yes because you lift heavy your fatiguing the muscle the just the same as you would if you are lifting lighter more often yes you hit different muscles and whatever else but
I personally would rather lift a few times than many many times.

also how can you tone something you do not have?

you can polish a turd but its still a what?

Actually for people that are generally sedentary, jumping into a challenging high rep program that could increase energy storage and circulation in the muscle, encourage muscle separation and muscle tonus, “toning” isn’t even that far from the truth, and people usually do this in coordination with a fat loss diet anyway which also helps.

So maybe you should stop trying to prove your intellectual superiority with the help of internet articles and just focus on your own body.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
marlboroman wrote:

wouldnt it be better to show them a pic of yourself as proof ? thats assuming that your training style has brought you enough results to prove the “toning myth” is false .

better yet, have marlboroman send them a pic, he’s obviously massive and ripped judging by his attitude, he’ll easily disprove the myth with his incredible physique[/quote]

Wash the sand out of your vagina little lady.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:

Wash the sand out of your vagina little lady.[/quote]

oh yeah, you’re mature

marlboroman wrote:

better yet, have marlboroman send them a pic, he’s obviously massive and ripped judging by his attitude, he’ll easily disprove the myth with his incredible physique[/quote]

my question remains un-answered .

zephead4747 wrote:

Wash the sand out of your vagina little lady.

oh yeah, you’re mature[/quote]

Pot, kettle?

other forums mean bodybuilding.com and IDontLikeToSquat.com…so dont waste your time. Ill bet you 20 bucks you could give them gold and they would just wipe their bony asses with it and hand it write back to you

Rippetoe talks about it one of his books, either Practical Programming or Strong Enough, I think it was Strong Enough.

I’m not sure if he is thinking the same thing you are, he uses the word “tonus” as in the muscle is continually tense and ready to do work not just lean and shredded.

He uses olympic lifters as an example, and says go poke one in the traps while they are at rest if they will let you. Their traps will be rock hard, and this is his definition of “toned”.

I’d find the page if it wasn’t so late and if you weren’t going to use the information to argue with people on the internet, which is a complete waste of time.

I don’t recall if it was Waterbury or Thibs who I’ve read stating that heavy lifting will increase “myogenic tone” which will make muscles look more flexed while at rest.

but yes, I can’t stand the people who think that fat just “turns in to muscle” or vice versa…or fat women doing crunches

[quote]FLABREZU wrote:
I’ll sometimes come across people on other forums who REFUSE to believe that low weight high rep training won’t make them “toned”…[/quote]

Please define “toned”.

[quote]KrayzieD wrote:
its as simple as this:

under 8 = strength

[/quote]

Nothing is quite that simple! :slight_smile:

[quote]Boffin wrote:
KrayzieD wrote:
its as simple as this:

under 8 = strength

Nothing is quite that simple! :)[/quote]

He’s pretty much dead on though. While rep ranges are a continuum rather than clear cut, he’s not wrong.

How to get ripped, shredded, jacked, hyooooge, swole, etc…
click on the red box with a white x in it, at the top of your internet browser.
go to the gym.
talk less than you listen.
Do more than you talk about.

[quote]FLABREZU wrote:

Thanks[/quote]

You are using the technical definition of myogenic tone. They just want to look like Jessica Alba/Brad Pitt in Fight Club. They don’t care about Marius Pudzianowski looking jacked all the time. They don’t care about whatever article of Thib’s you manage to dig up. Lots of people are stupid about training. Point?