T Nation

Toning Myth. Is it Real?

Small weights with high reps, is the usual myth to tone your body, instead of bulking up and looking like a “freak on steroids”.
“I’ve tried that. I didn’t tone shit, maybe because the weight was too light, but when i raised the weights, I still gained SOME muscle and it didn’t look toned.” A quote from people I know, or people I’ve talked to.

I’m confused about this. Please explain it to me…

so let me get this straight:

A.) You don’t want to bulk up and look like a ‘freak on steroids’.

B.) You were informed that lifting low weight and high reps to ‘tone’ muscle is a myth.

C.) You then went and did that anyways (see point “A”)

D.) You then got mad because when you followed the KNOWN myth of toning it didn’t work.

You then decided to post this golden nuggest of your life on a website that has the quote ‘The Intelligent and Relentless Pursuit of Muscle’ on the top of the page.

keep it up.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
so let me get this straight:

A.) You don’t want to bulk up and look like a ‘freak on steroids’.

B.) You were informed that lifting low weight and high reps to ‘tone’ muscle is a myth.

C.) You then went and did that anyways (see point “A”)

D.) You then got mad because when you followed the KNOWN myth of toning it didn’t work.

You then decided to post this golden nuggest of your life on a website that has the quote ‘The Intelligent and Relentless Pursuit of Muscle’ on the top of the page.

kill yourself.[/quote]
Wrong. I want to get huge and strong, I just want to clear this thing out.
I was quoting other people.

There are Shrinks for that.

Edit: The voices in your head, I mean.

[quote]ridethecliche wrote:
There are Shrinks for that.

Edit: The voices in your head, I mean.[/quote]
What the hell are you talking about?

Alright, so I keep hearing a lot about this myth about toning your body. Everybody says use light weights with high reps.
I’m just asking if it’s true?

Yeah of course it’s a crock of shit. Read some articles on here.

[quote]marty. wrote:
Yeah of course it’s a crock of shit. Read some articles on here.[/quote]
Yes, sure.

[quote]silkyhorse wrote:

[/quote]

if you want to get huge and strong, why were you doing light weights?

to get big and strong, you lift heavy and eat a lot.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:

[quote]silkyhorse wrote:

[/quote]

if you want to get huge and strong, why were you doing light weights?

to get big and strong, you lift heavy and eat a lot.[/quote]
I wasn’t, I just did a very bad job in letting you know that I was quoting other people.
I’m sorry about that. I’m actually lifting heavy.

haha umm so im confused you dont wanna bulk up and look like a freak on steroids but you want to get big…but u also want to “tone” up? u seem very confused with what you want

[quote]N. Robinson wrote:
haha umm so im confused you dont wanna bulk up and look like a freak on steroids but you want to get big…but u also want to “tone” up? u seem very confused with what you want[/quote]
It’s not about what I want. It’s about the info I want. I want to know the deal with this myth. People I know are the ones who DON’T want to grow big. I just messed up writing it clear enough.

[quote]silkyhorse wrote:

haha umm so im confused you dont wanna bulk up and look like a freak on steroids but you want to get big…but u also want to “tone” up? u seem very confused with what you want[/quote]
It’s not about what I want. It’s about the info I want. I want to know the deal with this myth. People I know are the ones who DON’T want to grow big. I just messed up writing it clear enough.[/quote]

oh oh ok gotcha man. no that whole toning with high reps is bullshit. it comes down to diet when getting “toned” as everyone seems to like to say nowadays lol

[quote]silkyhorse wrote:

It’s not about what I want. It’s about the info I want. I want to know the deal with this myth. People I know are the ones who DON’T want to grow big. I just messed up writing it clear enough.[/quote]

oh oh ok gotcha man. no that whole toning with high reps is bullshit. it comes down to diet when getting “toned” as everyone seems to like to say nowadays lol[/quote]
Yeah, sorry about that. I fixed the original post, too.
Diet? yeah, I’ll just search for articles here about diets to help you get lean. Thank you for quickly posting and giving me a good answer.

no prob man. if u got any other questions feel free to PM me

no prob man. if u got any other questions feel free to PM me[/quote]
Nice, thanks. :smiley:

[quote]ridethecliche wrote:
oops[/quote]
Don’t worry about it.

[quote]silkyhorse wrote:
Small weights with high reps, is the usual myth to tone your body, instead of bulking up and looking like a “freak on steroids”.
“I’ve tried that. I didn’t tone shit, maybe because the weight was too light, but when i raised the weights, I still gained SOME muscle and it didn’t look toned.” A quote from people I know, or people I’ve talked to.

I’m confused about this. Please explain it to me.[/quote]

They probably had their muscles take up nutrients for the first time in their life under an actually load being applied, so their new flab covered muscles looked kinda lame after 2 weeks and they stopped cause the scale wasn’t moving. Also a misunderstanding about how you want to lose fat, not weight and a whole other pile of misunderstandings about exercise etc

But yeah, toning is a myth in that regard, getting lean is what they really want to do. Unfortunately they read or learn myths like this and then never learn how to properly succeed in their goals.

[quote]Chris The Great wrote:

[quote]silkyhorse wrote:
“I’ve tried that. I didn’t tone shit, maybe because the weight was too light, but when I raised the weights, I still gained SOME muscle and it didn’t look toned.” A quote from people I know, or people I’ve talked to.

I’m confused about this. Please explain it to me.[/quote]

They probably had their muscles take up nutrients for the first time in their life under an actually load being applied, so their new flab covered muscles looked kinda lame after 2 weeks and they stopped cause the scale wasn’t moving. Also a misunderstanding about how you want to lose fat, not weight and a whole other pile of misunderstandings about exercise etc

But yeah, toning is a myth in that regard, getting lean is what they really want to do. Unfortunately they read or learn myths like this and then never learn how to properly succeed in their goals.[/quote]
Excellent way of expressing yourself.
It’s a shame that people find these myths through their friends or fake websites.
I usually tell people to just go see a dietitian. I do, when I have the chance to, and she explains everything very thoroughly.(guess I should go pay her a visit)

This thread made it just in time for the “worst of 09” awards. Anyone want to nominate it?