T Nation

Tonight's Debate

[quote]katzenjammer wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:
The guys without TVs, do a search for Sopcast and presidential debates or even just sopcast.

It will allow you to view digital television streamed by users over the web. I saw every out of market NHL playoff game I wanted last spring. I guarantee somebody will be streaming the debate from somewhere.

Hey, that sopcast is kinda neat. Thanks! :)[/quote]

No trouble. Couldn’t live without it for the NHL playoffs. Kinda fun watchin the guy on the other end change channels to other games during commercials.

Damn you rainjack for pointing out Obama’s “uhs.” Now I notice ALL of them, and it’s kinda funny because it’s part of his speech pattern when he answers on the fly. I don’t know how that wasn’t coached out of him by now. LOL.

This is the shallow bullshit session I expected though the format is a bit better.

If either one says “fundamental” or “main street” one more time I’m gonna smash my TV.

Actually it’s gittin kinda good now.

Did I just hear Obama say that China recently had a space launch and a space walk and we have to keep pace in our schools? Is Biden rubbing off on him.

A republican that wants to cut defense spending?? That’s new…

However, as of 30 minutes in, I’m calling it an Obama win so far. McCain is a bit too feisty and playing into his hands. I actually thought that BO was going to play a harder attack line early on, but it’s been McCain.

Interesting so far. McCain does not “look good” next to Obama on camera.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
A republican that wants to cut defense spending?? That’s new…

However, as of 30 minutes in, I’m calling it an Obama win so far. McCain is a bit too feisty and playing into his hands. I actually thought that BO was going to play a harder attack line early on, but it’s been McCain.

Interesting so far. McCain does not “look good” next to Obama on camera.[/quote]

I actually thought Mccain’s passion was making him look good myself. I guess we’ll see. He said to freeze spending on everything except defense, veterans affairs and entitlements. He didn’t say he would cut defense spending.

true, but he did imply it shortly before then, when he mentioned that we needed a fixed contract strategy there-- in an industry where contracts routinely run over budget by as much or more than 200%. That alone will cut spending (in a net fashion)

They are both handling themselves very well in my opinion. This is much better than I expected.

McCain now says that spending is out of control and cites US borrowing from China as an example of this.

Does anyone remember McCain’s reaction when Ron Paul said the exact same thing during the Republican debate?

Ron Paul: "I believe we’re in a recession. I think it’s going to get a lot worse…it’s going to be delayed.

Overstimulation by the [Fed]…is the source of the recession"

4:59 Paul vs. McCain

8:25
Paul “We need to borrow 10b dollars from China…”

It looked like it was going to turn ugly there at the end of the Iran question.

But it really rubs me the wrong way when McCain says BO hasnt been to Iraq or Afgan. Who gives a sh**t if either one has been? When they do go they only get in the way and become a liability.

…and I dont think its going to do McCain much good to keep calling Obama naive.

Obama is handling himself much much better than I thought he was going to on foreign policy. He’s been fairly substantive except on the spending question and the implementation of alt-fuel policy, which Mccain was able to give a straight answer (or at least a proposal).

McCain is communicating his ideas very effectively throughout this debate. He seems to easily pull in his long experience to support a lot of his arguments. He seems very comfortably almost as if he just telling stories.

Obama also seems like he doing alright to but he is straining to make sure he hits all his talking points. It is also pathetic to see him look to Jim Leherer for help every time McCain says something that he doesn’t agree with. He is also a bit defensive

Harping on the voting record is a good strategy, but I think McCain’s been overplaying it quite a bit in this debate. He’s been too focused on attacking and Obama has for the most part done a good job of accepting his attacks and not biting back too badly. That makes him look good to the audience.

He’s also done a good job of agreeing with McCain in spots and giving him credit (or lip service at least) in spots (such as the “I give him great credit for determining that no one should be tortured”) and through doing it promptly stealing his thunder by making it not seem like a following remark (ie ‘’ Oh, yeah I say that too, btw").

I did like the early Reagan reference from McCain (“our best days are ahead of us”). That was a great touch at the time.

I thought they both sounded very knowledgeable and intelligent, but I give the edge to Obama. I thought some of his answers were better and his eloquence increased as he became more comfortable.

I like being able to see these guys disdain each other a bit.

It’s refreshing.

My quick n dirty take is that most minds won’t be changed, but of the ones that are or or swayed I would say that Mccain edged him by a hair.

Mccain looked passionate and Obama looked like a campaigner… overall.

Oh, yeah, I’d like to think I have a pretty solid vocabulary and don’t hear unknown words very often, but “festooned” was good one LOL!

I thought they both gave very thoughtful answers. Enjoyable debate indeed.

No offense, but McCain seems to have trouble staying on topic without trying very hard to say, “well, Obama stated this” even if Obama just stated otherwise seconds before.

His attention seems to be much less on answering the questions and much more on pushing the idea that Obama is younger and less “experienced”. That is just poor debating skills. There is no way McCain comes out of this debate with positive marks overall.