T Nation

Tonight's Debate

OK Folks. The debate is tonight, and I keep hearing from everyone that even though this debate is supposed to be about foreign policy, it will most likely turn into a debate about the economy.

Here is the thing. Everyone is saying that while foreign policy is McCain’s strength, the economy is Obama’s.

But does anyone know exactly WHY the economy is Obama’s strong suit here? Because I certainly have no idea why.

Just wondering…

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
OK Folks. The debate is tonight, and I keep hearing from everyone that even though this debate is supposed to be about foreign policy, it will most likely turn into a debate about the economy.

Here is the thing. Everyone is saying that while foreign policy is McCain’s strength, the economy is Obama’s.

But does anyone know exactly WHY the economy is Obama’s strong suit here? Because I certainly have no idea why.

Just wondering…[/quote]

Because he’s not a Republican.

Prepare to hear over and over how if it weren’t for the war all would be peachy.

I’m just excited that my home state is in the news for something other than being last in something positive or first in something negative (like obesity rates)

Is this getting streamed on any news site?

I don’t have a tv.

The site looks like ESPN College Gameday with all the cheering students and Obama signs. I think I even saw face paint in the crowd. This could be a very rough crowd for McCain.

That said, I’m wondering how Obama will lend substance to his attacks. The debate is as much about posturing as it is about the issues, and I think Obama will have an easier time posturing with a “home crowd” of enthusiastic students.

Will it carry well over TV? I don’t know. Obama has a definite advantage from the photogenic side.

As of right now, I’m getting visions of the debate of 1960. JFK vs. Nixon. I can’t explain it and I know this is a different ballgame from then, but I just started getting that gut feeling.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:

Just wondering…[/quote]

Because people are idiots. To say the economy is either’s strong suit is laughable.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
skaz05 wrote:

Just wondering…

Because he’s not a Republican.

Prepare to hear over and over how if it weren’t for the war all would be peachy.[/quote]

LOL! I hope that’s the essence of it - that should be easy enough for McCain to counter.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Is this getting streamed on any news site?

I don’t have a tv.[/quote]

I don’t have one either - i’m listening via NPR.

If someone find a live stream, please post it here.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:

Just wondering…[/quote]

Obama has not strong suite. If his voting record is any indication of his leadership then it’s pretty safe to say that I have shit a more viable candidate.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:

Just wondering…[/quote]

Mainly because McCain is not an economy guy. He’s a foreign policy guy.

Opie has dick for economic experience. If he gets rattled, he will be a stuttering fool, and no one will be able to know what the fuck he is saying.

The guys without TVs, do a search for Sopcast and presidential debates or even just sopcast.

It will allow you to view digital television streamed by users over the web. I saw every out of market NHL playoff game I wanted last spring. I guarantee somebody will be streaming the debate from somewhere.

EDIT: Actually it looks cnn will have it live online.

http://www.cnn.com/video/live/live.html?stream=stream1

You may need to install the plugin

[quote]rainjack wrote:

If he gets rattled, he will be a stuttering fool, and no one will be able to know what the fuck he is saying.

[/quote]

But unfortunately that might actually be a positive for him.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Streaming video can be found here:

http://www.cnn.com/live/

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
Obama as the younger taller better looking candidate has the advantage in the media age. But, as far as substance and actual experience at the podium McCain blows him away.

If McCain can add some humor and not come off as mean spirited he’ll win, or at least tie with the general public. If he can’t do that he loses. Obama tends to lecture too much and loses people. [/quote]

If this debate spends a lot of time on foreign policy and Obama pulls off a tie it will be a win for him.

Rules for tonight’s debate:

DEBATE: Drink away the boredom

[i]It took some time forJohn McCain to finally realize Congress doesn’t really want him around making the battle over the bailout any more politically charged than it already is, but he agreed to go ahead with this evening’s debate with Barack Obama at the University of Mississippi (6 p.m. PST).

It is every voter’s responsibility to watch these debates so they can make a truly informed decision. Yet, we all know debates can be stuffy and boring, with all those navy blue suits, lapel pins and PBS anchors in the room.

What better way to lively up this showdown of senators than with some boozing? This is going to take some investment (you’ll have to buy lots of liquor and forsake sobriety for the rest of the evening), but no one ever said choosing a president was easy.

The topic for tonight’s debate is foreign policy. With that in mind, here are the rules for Street’s first presidential debate drinking game:

1. When McCain mentions “the surge”, pound a Red Bull and vodka.

2. Chug a PBR every time Obama attempts to tie McCain to President Bush.

3. Waterfall when either candidate mentions Iran or Korea.

4. Drink a Car Bomb every time they bring up Iraq.

5. Swig from a bottle of peach Schnapps when Georgia is mentioned.

6. When foreign oil is brought up, steal some of your neighbor’s drink with a turkey baster.

7. Every time McCain mentions his military service, salute and pour some beer on the floor.

8. Every time Obama says “change”, the first person to bounce a quarter into his cup gets to command another gamer to finish her drink.

9. Take a shot of tequila when either candidate mentions “immigration” or “border security”.

10. Since the debate is in Mississippi, begin and end the debate with shots of SoCo and lime.

It may be impossible to hold this debate without addressing the current state of the economy. So, if either candidate says “bailout,” everyone pours their drink into a pitcher. The last one to finish dumping their drink has to guzzle.

Check in with us next month to see the drinking rules for the other two presidential debates on Tuesday, Oct. 7, and Wednesday, Oct. 15. Cheers![/i]

http://www.signonsandiego.com/entertainment/street/2008/09/debate_drink_away_the_boredom.html

[quote]jbumgarner wrote:
I’m just excited that my home state is in the news for something other than being last in something positive or first in something negative (like obesity rates)[/quote]
LOL

And ^ that will be a quick game. #4 especially will result in mass car bombings.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
The guys without TVs, do a search for Sopcast and presidential debates or even just sopcast.

It will allow you to view digital television streamed by users over the web. I saw every out of market NHL playoff game I wanted last spring. I guarantee somebody will be streaming the debate from somewhere.

[/quote]

Hey, that sopcast is kinda neat. Thanks! :slight_smile: