T Nation

Toned/Pumped Feeling & Progress Spurts

“But I actually feel that a generalized “toned” feeling is more indicative of a strength gain spurt while a pump that is suddenly larger than usual indicates an upcoming growth spurt.”

this is very interesting. When you notice it, is there something you can, or should do to take advantage of it?
Maybe on a strength spurt, push a little harder on the ramp?
On the growth spurt, maybe more reps?

The other day I did some 1.5 db curls. 1 set got me wicked pumped. maybe because i havent done any bicep work in a long time. Dunno.

Insert joke about pumping and spurting here

I wouldn’t do anything different… the body is just primed for growth. You can actually halt the spurt by doing too much.

As for the biceps, yes, it was probably because you had not trained them in a while. Today I went to pick up a set et chains for squatting and my friend who runs the equipment store had me try a new chest press machine he was selling, I actually got a chest cramp from doing one rep with the empty machine!!!

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
I wouldn’t do anything different… the body is just primed for growth. You can actually halt the spurt by doing too much.

As for the biceps, yes, it was probably because you had not trained them in a while. Today I went to pick up a set et chains for squatting and my friend who runs the equipment store had me try a new chest press machine he was selling, I actually got a chest cramp from doing one rep with the empty machine!!![/quote]

that is too funny.
ok, "just roll with it"
nothing different with food either i guess?
unless i get more hungry for a bit? or maybe that “beef crave” i get.
then maybe i’d have to eat about 16 burgers :slight_smile:

by the way. thanks to T Nation for editing my title.