TomRocco's Training Journal

pretty good night sleeps yesterday and today with about 7.5 hours each.

didnt do anything yesterday. today took about 7-8 discus throws. discus is feeling very awkward. my 2 throws from the stand were disgusting, and my spin feels very uncoordinated. the best way to explain the problem is by saying that i dont remember what im doing. i feel like i forgot how to do the spin. i dont know whats going on.

big meet on saturday. im hoping to hit a PR in shot, and just maintain my throw PR in discus.

Your workouts seem random too. Since you don’t answer your phone or Facebook call me later…pce wop dago

Not alot of sleep. had work last night. Track meet today went pretty bad but i had fun. i threw 2- 46 something, and qualified for finals. my other throws were 42.

I dont know whats going on. im getting really discouraged with all this poor throwing. DIscus was no better. my first 2 were 99 and 98 feet, and my last one was 118. Its weird because my first 2 throws felt pretty good too. my first one’s release was bad, but the seond one felt pretty good and it still only went 98.

I dont get why i threw so poorly at the end of the season. today was my last meet. I really let myself down considering that not only have i not improved, but ive actually gotten much worse in the past 3 weeks. I feel like i let my team and myself down.

im going to start a single-body part training program. Probably something that looks like this:

Mon- Chest
Tues- Legs
Wednesday- shoulders
Thursday- back
Friday- arms
Saturday- w/e i feel like

• i plan on doing some throwing mixed into that training schedule as well.

been really tired lately. im not too sure why? i have gotten 7 hours or a bit more both the night before last and last night. i have been going to bed late though, so that may be the problem.

i havent been in the mood to workout yet, whereas normally when a season ends or i get much more free time i want to workout like crazy.
I will say that i actually am kinda bored because i enjoy working out, so i kinda have nothing to do. Im going to try to take most this week off, and maybe start introducing some light work on thursday. I think ill do something like 1 set for each body part at a weight id usually warm up with.

• bench- 1x10 with 95
  • row- 1x10 with 95
    pull ups- 1x 8 with 25 lbs
    military press- 1x 8 with 75 lbs
    squats- 1x 8-10 with 135
    curls- 1x10 with bar

i also need to admit that even though ive been trying to gain weight/am gaining weight, i feel that i am gaining fat. I also dont think im being the healthiest person, and some vanity is taking over in that id like to look good at the beach this year :sunglasses: I think im going to try to maintain 170, and just try to lean out.

I usually gain about 10 lbs so far in high school. usually i gain it within the 1st 4 months, but this year it took me basically the whole year. Id really like to go into next school year at 180 of muscle.

About 7 hours of sleep. i went to bed about 7.5 hours before i had to wake up, just my mind was really wandering so i didnt get to bed right away. i was up for probably a 1/2 hour.

i dont think im gonna be able to take all this week off. im going to be too bored. im gonna start thinking about working out like a mad man if i dont hit the gym eventually. I still have my thursday workout to be planned, then really training starts on monday.

Had a basketball game tonight. i felt very springy/explosive and was jumping very well. We were up by like 20 and then went on to losing. we do intramural ball for fun while the other team was incredibly serious. I played 5/8 periods. I dont take this stuff to seriously- i just want to stay associated with the game.

got about 6 hours of sleep but not too tired today. I got home from school and slept for an hour. I had another basketball game today. i played 6/8 periods, then the 2 overtime periods. we wound up losing. i did pretty well. my shins are bothering me a bit, probably since im not used to all this running.

Ill be doing the workout as planned tomorrow. i think im going to do 2 sets of everything. the first set of each exercise with 10 reps, and the second set with either 10 reps, or maybe ill go lower reps.

about 7.5 hours of sleep. wasnt too tired until my workout, but at the end of the day was in a really horrible mood. i was so angry. nothing was going my way. I was incredibly warm and was just having a really tough time.

Worked out today for about an hour. As mentioned before i was pretty tired during it. my wrists dont feel too strong and my whole body feels drained, probably from basketball the past 2 nights.

A1) Back Squats

1. 135 x 10
  2. 185 x 10

A2) Bench Press (slow and controlled)

1. 95 lbs x 10
  2. 115 lbs x 10

really felt this in my chest, probably from having neglected it for so long.

A3) Pull Ups

1. BW + 25 x 8
  2. BW + 25 x 8 (CU)

B1) Military Press

1. 75 lbs x 10
  2. 75 lbs x 10/11?

really felt the lactic buildup on these. they were burning my shoulders very badly.

B2) BB Rows

1. 95 lbs x 10
  2. 115 lbs x 10

C1) BB Curls

1. bar x 10
  2. bar x 12

C2) Hanging Leg raises from chinups bar

1. BW x 10
  2. BW x 10

Overall a good workout. the high reps didnt feel too bad. i would like to continue with these higher reps as long as i dont become unmotivated with doing them.

i had an award ceremony today for spring track and field. i am honored to have received the MIP (most improved player) award. Next year i plan on being the best and winning MVP for both winter and spring track. I will work hard this summer and continue to make improvements. receiving this award was a great way to end a really rough day.

Got about 6 hours of sleep last night, and i napped for an hour when i got home. I was sore from yesterday- my chest was the most sore. I can tell i need to get back into the “flow” of things.

Decided to workout again today. did some light work, all with high reps. I basically only did one set of each exercise i chose to do. i did alot so the order may be slightly off.

1. BW x 12 Pull Ups (neutral grip)
  2. 30 lb DB’s x 16 reps- low incline Press- could have used more weight
  3. 110 lbs x 16 reps- V-Bar rows
  4. Hang Cleans- 95 lbs x 5
  5. Lunges- 20 reps (10 each leg- alternated legs) with 95 lb Barbell
  6. Deadlifts off wood stand- bar was just above toes- 135 lbs x 12/15? reps
  7. Chain Supported Pushups- BW x 15, 4-5?- loved these. would like to incorporate them more often. i really felt my chest working on them
  8. DB Overhead Press- 20 lbs x 15 reps
  9. External Rotations- 7.5 lbs x 12, 6 on pulley (each arm)
  10. Reverse lateral raise- 8 lb DB’s x 12 reps
  11. 16 BW Hanging leg raises
  12. Weighted decline sit ups- 30 lb DB x 12, 25 lb plate a 4-5
  13. Seated Face Pulls- 40 lbs x 15 reps
  14. DB twisting Curls (reverse curl up, regular eccentric)- 15 lbs x 24 reps, BB x 10 reverse curls
  15. some work with a broom stick- mainly some spins, stretching etc

Overall a pretty good workout. im really going to stick to higher reps. i feel like its best if i let my muscles do some work opposed to mainly my tendons. another thing i noticed about higher rep sets is that i dont psyche myself up very much, if at all. although the past 2 workouts are mainly to get the blood flowing, i havent psyched myself up one time yet. With lower reps, i usually get incredibly psyched/focused, but with lighter weights/higher reps this doesnt happen. i focus more on catching a rhythm when i life. anyone else notice this?

i can tell that increasing my bench press strength will definitely correlate very well to my shot putting/ discus. Im very upset about my lower numbers, so im going to really try to emphasize chest work over the next few weeks. i believe that my weak bench is definitely keeping me from throwing very far.

i also want to mention that lately ive been feeling very drained. im tired and lackadaisical. Im having a tough time getting back into the mood of working out. im hoping to be there by monday.

all right night sleep. about 7 hours. woke up on my own. My chest is sore, along with my glutes. it actually feels more like the outside of my glute, like an external rotator soreness. It is tender to the touch. Ive been trying to keep my calories up and have not been pigging out as much as a normally would.

about 8 hours of sleep. walked to the track today and threw some discus for about 40 minutes. It was a really nice day out. i was hitting about 120 or so pretty consistently. My PR is 130, so im hoping to get to 170ish by next season. i also want to throw 60 by next season in shot put. Definitely doable, considering ive added 13 feet from sophmore to junior season.

My ultimate goal is to go to nationals in shot, and at least qualify for states in discus.

Im starting my workouts again tomorrow. Doing body part split. im doing chest tomorrow, then legs tuesday. Ill probably do some light recovery work on wednesday, and thursday ill do shoulders. friday i plan on doing back, and saturday ill either do arms, or throw, or both.

about 6 hours of sleep. probably less. i was in bed at like 1020, but i couldnt get to sleep.

we had a party for one of the clubs im in and i ate brownies and cookies. probably shouldnt have eaten that stuff.

Before my workout, i did some jogging, mobility, and form work for mainly shot. i can tell that im letting my upper body go before my lower body, so i need to concentrate on keeping my weight/upperbody and the shot put back.

I worked out chest today, the first day of my bodybuilding routine.

A) Flat Bench Press

1. 95 lbs x 10
  2. 135 lbs x 10
  3. 135 lbs x 10
  4. 135 lbs x 10

Benching didnt feel too bad. the last rep of my last set i may have been helped a bit on the lockout. the weight feels extremely light off of my chest. The most challenging part is the lock out.

B) Incline Bench Press

1. 40 lbs x 10 reps
  2. 30 lbs x 12 reps
  3. 30 lbs x 13 reps

My triceps were shot from benching. i have a pretty low work capacity. im hoping to fix this over the next few weeks.

C) Discus Flies

1. 10 lb plates a 12
  2. 15 lb DB’s x 12
  3. 15 lb DB’s x 12

These felt all right. i hope they correlate well to throwing.

Overall a good workout. took just about 1 hour. im hoping to build up some strength endurance, and once summer comes ill hit some strength work with reps between 4-6.

six hours of sleep. maybe less. not to tired throughout the day. pretty tired now at 7 oclock. my triceps are sore, along with my chest. im really liking the single body-part training.

Alternate sets between the 2 exercises

A1) Deadlifts

1. 95 x 5
  2. 135 x 4
  3. 185 x 4
  4. 225 x 4
  5. 275 x 4
  6. 315 x 3
  7. 365 x 3- good set-used straps- i felt my glutes and lower back working. my lower back was really sore after this set.
  8. 315 x 0 - didnt put much effort in. i was hoping it was gonna feel alot lighter. i failed to even get it up.

A2) Chin Ups

1. BW x 3
  2. BW + 25 x 3
  3. BW + 45 x 2
  4. BW + 70 x 2
  5. BW + 90 x 2- good set
  6. BW + 105 x 3.75
  7. BW + 90 x 4

Good sets overall. i dont like starting from the dead hang at the bottom because i feel it stresses my joints a bit much. i usually touch my feet on the eccentric, and then i give a little push towards the concentric.

Superset of the following:

B1) T-Bar Row

1. 45 lbs x 12
  2. 45 lbs x 13

B2) Hammer Strength Chest Supported Rowing machine

1. ~65-70? lbs x 15
  2. same x 16

Overall a very good workout. i like the single body part training. ill stick to this for a couple weeks, and once summer comes ill bump my frequency like crazy in hopes of leaning out.

Just a question for anyone who reads this. is the amount of volume im doing in these single body workouts enough to stimulate gains in size and strength? thanks in advance.

about a bit more than 6 hours of sleep. kinda tired throughout the day. I was going to take today off, but after a change of plans i went to the gym and had an amazing workout. Im overall pretty sore from monday and yesterday. my lower back is very sore, and my chest is sore as well. my lats are pretty sore too.

A) Military Press

1. bar x 8
  2. 75 lbs x 8
  3. 95 lbs x 8
  4. 105 lbs x 6/8?
  5. 95 lbs x 9.5- missed midway on last rep
  6. 75 lbs x 13

these reps were all very strict. i really felt my shoulders doing a majority of the work and i really felt as if my muscles were “synchronized”- all working together well.

B1) DB Reverse Lateral Raise

1. 10 lb DB’s x 12
  2. 10 lb DB’s x 15
  3. 10 lbs DB’s x 12-15?

B2) DB Overhead Press

1. 25 lb DB’s x 7
  2. 25 lb DB’s x 8

did full and half reps. just wanted to pump up the volume.

C1) Lateral Raises- 5 lb DB’s x 15
C2) Fat Bar Front Raise- bar x 8
C3) DB Front raise- 5 lb DB’s x 4-6?

also asked my coach a question. just putting this here for my knowledge: In shot, upon landing from the glide, i will turn my lower body, ideally keeping my upper body back, and THEN turn the upper body.

Overall a solid workout. i really felt myself driving my elbows up.
I think tomorrow i may decide to throw, and then train legs on friday and arms on saturday. i might not even do any of that. i would really like to get at least one shot session in before the end of this week.

A bit more than 7 hours of sleep. spinal erectors still very sore today. In particular by my lower back. upper back is a little bit sore. My chest is still kinda tight today.

I applied “IcyHot” to my back today in school, and then when i got home i put BioFreeze on my back. i then reapplied biofreeze to my chest and my back later on this night.

i plan on throwing tomorrow, assuming my lower back is not sore and weather isnt ugly.

about 6 hours of sleep. i think a little less. not too tired today at all actually.

I decided to throw some shot put today, and then a little discus. i threw the 16 from a stand a couple times and 1 glide, and then the primary amount of my workout was with a 12 and 4k. My best 12 was only about 45 feet i think, and that might be an overguess. most of my throws were just around 40 feet. i feel kinda awkward with the 12, im not too sure why. I have no clue why im not throwing well from the end of my season until now. My best 4k throw was about 51 feet, with the next 3-4 furthest being a bit past 50. throwing the 4k felt really good actually. i dont know whats going on with the 12 though :frowning:

I also threw discus today and it felt awesome. i only threw about 8 throws, but most of them felt really good. I also was doing a couple of 1/2 turns and they felt great. i was “winding” my upperbody today on the half turns, which is probably why they felt so good.

about 6 hours of sleep. maybe less. took an SAT II and probably did all right on it.

I signed up to a closer gym to my house for the summer. i like to walk there and back, not to mention its much more convenient. today was incredibly warm, but i enjoy this weather.

I had a very good squat workout today. I was planning on hitting squats in the 10-rep range, but that changed up a bit.

A) Back Squats

1. 135 x 5- done explosively
  2. 185 x 5- done explosively
  3. 225 x 5- done as fast as possible
  4. 275 x 5- felt semi-heavy. had moderate strain. can tell my max has gone down considering i havent squatted for about a month.
  5. 225 x 15- big PR! the most ive ever done for high reps is 205 for 12 i think. i probably could have gotten another 3 reps in too. at the bottom of my squat i lean over a bit, but after that im all right.

I was planning on doing lunges as well, but a big set like that killed me.

B) Barbell Curls

1. bar x 8
  2. 65 x 8
  3. 85 x 5
  4. 95 x 4
  5. 65 x 8

C) Reverse CUrls with EZ bar

1. bar x 10
  2. bar + 10 each side x 10.

D) Hanging Leg Raises

1. BW x 16ish

Overall im very happy with my performance today. i think this will be my new set up for the next few weeks, because i liked doing this a ton. ill up the set of 275 each week by like 10 pounds, and then ill do one all out high rep set.

my quads are pretty sore right now. So are my hamstrings.

just a question about creatine. as of now theres a strong chance ill be ordering some. my question is this: is it “useless” to be taking creatine if im going to try and get pretty lean for the summer. will i only benefit most from creatine if i am not too worried about what i eat? thanks alot.

About 7 hours of sleep. i went to the beach today and just chilled. I got very badly sun burnt. plan on hitting chest tomorrow. Weighed in this morning at ~168.8 i think. It was in boxers + t-shirt after going to the bathroom.

my quads. glutes, and hammies are all very sore. Actually not as bad as i thought they would be.

about 5 hours of sleep i think. maybe it was 6. not too tired today actually. I got to the gym and did a decent chest workout. My back is so burnt from the beach that it was really tough to get “tight”, so i didnt get to go all out. my legs are still kinda sore from squatting on saturday. im hoping theyll be all right for deadlifts tomorrow.

A) BB Bench Press

1. 95 lbs x 8
  2. 135 lbs x 5
  3. 165 lbs x 4
  4. 165 lbs x 4
    5?) 165 lbs x 4
  5. 135 x 8
  6. 135 x 8

Felt pretty light off the chest, but my triceps seem to have gotten a bit stronger.

B) Incline DB Press- 4x8 with 40 lb DB’s

C) Neutral grip Flies

1. 10 lb DB’s x 15
  2. 10 lb DB’s x 17

i did a couple sets of dips here and there in between some sets. i also plan on training abs almost every session.

Ive been putting aloe on my burns. if anyone has any other suggestions it would be great.