Tommy Boy's Fat B@st@rd 5-3-1 Log.

[quote]pbclax1 wrote:
Deadlifts looked really smooth man!! Really missing deadlifts right now…rehabbing the ankle, cant wait to get back at em! Keep up the STRONG work dude! =)[/quote]

Thanks man. Deads will still be there when you get back. Heal up and come back strong.

[quote]Power GnP wrote:
Beast log, I’ll be watching.

How tall are you?[/quote]

Thanks dude. Depending on the conveinence store… 5’9’’ to 5’11". I have not checked my height in a LONG time, so I would venture 5’10". I am under 6’0" I know for sure.

EDIT: I got the date wrong in the video. 385X3 happened on the 29th, not the 28th.

Thanksgiving went well. Spent way to much time in my car, but ate a hell of a lot of good food(thanks Mom) and slept like a rock. I had 3 days in a row of 12+ hours of sleep. It was epic.

Anyway, here is a video of what I have done lately:

11/23/10

front squats

Warmups:
barX15
135X5
225X5

work sets:

70% 300X5
85% 345X3
95%X2 then dump. +1. My ass went too far back and the bar rolled on my shoulders. The bar rolled on my shoulders on my second rep, and I thought I had re-adjusted enough. Turned out I had not. From now on I will take my sets to shoulder fatigue and then rack the weight. Slow progress, slow and steady wins the race etc. etc. I for damn sure have the tortoise part nailed down.

On the bright side, I think I got 2 full inches in the air after I dropped the bar. 1.5 inch verticle PR. America, fuck yeah!!!

Ok, as punishment, I did a hellashous amount of volume on the hack squat:

lotsXlots
ended with a widow maker with 4 plates per side.

RDLs:
135X5
225X5
315X5
365X5
425X5
455X5

These felt good too.

Did some hanging leg raises and called it a night.

11/29/10

Front squat redo:

warmups: same shit

300X5
345X3
385X3 +2 reps. One more than last time, and I called the set shy of failure. Mostly, I just hate missing reps, so this was a good thing physically and mentally.

RDLs:
135X8
225X8
315X8
405X8
315X8

Leg presses:
+400X10
+600X10
+800X10
+1000X10
+600 paused X5

Hanging leg raises for 3X8.

Doneskies.

METAL: Tis the season, sort of.

12/1/10

Bench night.

Video:

Warmups and such.

BarX20
135X8
225X5

Work sets:

75% 285X5
85% 325X3
95% 365X8 +7 reps, and a 2 or 3 rep PR. I do not remember if my last rep max was 5 or 6, and am too damn lazy to look back in my logs to find it. Bitching: Ok spotter, I said: “do not touch the bar unless it falls back down on top of me.” Maybe I accidentally spoke Latin to home boy here, cause he did not appear to get it. Looking at it, I do not beleive that he lifted the bar, so I am counting this as an 8 rep set. Still annoys me though.

315X6 paused. Feet on bench, no lift off, no arch, no belt, and no leg drive after rep 1(I had to actually think “no leg drive”). This felt good, as I was just trying to get some pause work in and make it as hard as possible. At least home boy got it this time. Credit this idea to Meat and another 500 bencher that trains at my gym.

Barbell rows:
135X8
225X8
275X5 for 3 sets. I worked on staying as strict as possible with these, but I did not video them for some dumb reason, so there is not a way to check. Eh, after the de-load next week I shall remember. Maybe.

Dips:
BDW X10
+miniband X5 for 2 sets

I wanted some volume here, but my shoulders just were not having it tonight. Eh, fuck it.

Switch to

DB floor tri press:
75sX15
105sX15
125sX10

These felt pretty damn awsome.

Phat gripz hammerzz curlzz
55sX6 for 4 sets.

Went to one of the local parks and did some hill “sprints” and walking for about 30min. Bassically long enough to finnish my anaconda mix(I use close to a gallon of water with it.) I didn’t video this cause it was dark as fuck, and my nightrunner sled work just looked like shit.

General thoughts:
I may stick with that no arch paused work for a bit. I kinda wanna hit 315 for 10 like that, but maybe it had some ill effects on my shoulders, as dips just felt different in a painfull way. Could just be that I need a break from dips maybe. Anyway, I think I will just stick with the floor tri press for a while, as that smoked my tris like no other, and gave me no shoulder, elbow, or wrist pain.

Training is one big never ending experiment.

METAL:

screw you and your awesome benching. my left shoulder just flipped you the bird.

nah, jk, great job bud.

I’ve never seen anyone roll the dumbells into place like that for floor presses. That’s impressive man.

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:
screw you and your awesome benching. my left shoulder just flipped you the bird.

nah, jk, great job bud. [/quote]

Thanks. And hey, my short arms give everybody the bird when its time for deadlifts.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
I’ve never seen anyone roll the dumbells into place like that for floor presses. That’s impressive man.[/quote]

Thanks. Yeah, this is the hands down easiest way to set up a DB floor press if you train alone. Just get the bells right up against your shoulders and do a very short range of motion pull over to get them in place. Works everytime. Sure as hell beats worming them up your legs and torso into position.

Do you feel like you get a lot out of floor presses, both db and bar? My sticking point is from around 4" off the chest to probably 8" off the chest. Been doing 2-board work for the last month but am gonna do something else for my next ME move and looking for something that strengthens that range.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Do you feel like you get a lot out of floor presses, both db and bar? My sticking point is from around 4" off the chest to probably 8" off the chest. Been doing 2-board work for the last month but am gonna do something else for my next ME move and looking for something that strengthens that range.[/quote]

The floor press may well help you there. I really like them as a general auxillary to the bench. I’ve not ever ran them as my main bench movement for an extended period of time though. I usually use the barbell version as a way to get some added volume in after my main bench movement, as I feel like it saves my shoulders from all the wear and tear that high volume benching/dips can sometimes cause. I particularly like them as tricep movements, as a lot of the “normal” tricep movements cause me wrist and or elbow problems(i.e. skull crusher variants, most forms of push downs etc.) With these, I can usually keep the weight pinned right over my forearms and it saves my wrists. I do feel that these have helped with my lockout, which is where I am weakest on the bench. Here are a couple of ways that I like to use them, though most are more for direct tricep work:

DB neutral grip floor press: Just like you saw in that last video I posted. Work on keeping the elbows tucked as much as possible, and the DB balanced on the heal of your hand.

Barbel floor JM presses. Again, more tircep work. I usually stay very light with these and work out highish rep sets(10-20).

Regular DB floor press, paused or touch and go. Set up the same way that you would a normal DB bench press, but pause at the bottom of each rep. I usually use the pull over trick to get them into place, as you can’t really kick them up.

Barbell floor presses. Paused, touch and go, or close grip. Wide(normal for me) grip barbell floor presses are the only ones I have ever gone heavy with. If I were to choose any of these for a mian movement, this one would be it. I always keep my legs straight and no arch with them.

Sorry for the rambling. Short version:

Yes, the floor press(in all variants) is a good movement to help your bench. As a main movement, I would use whatever grip you normally bench with, and set this up with a barbell out of a power cage. I think this works pretty well as an ME movement.

^^^That’s awesome man. Thanks.

12/3/10

Deads.

Warmups:
135X8
225X5
315X3

Work sets:

75% 375X5
85% 420X3
95% 470X8 +7 reps.

Stopped at 8, as I felt like I would have started hitching if I took it any further. This was ok I suppose.

DB rows:
130X10 for 3 sets

Pull-ups:
5X5

cable hip thrusts:
3X10

Called it here as the gym was closing. People act like there is more important shit to do on a Friday night than deadlifts. Loosers.

Overall, shit felt good. Push press is tomorrow then its a de-load and the start of cycle 2 after that.

METAL:

^^^^ Post lifting walk in the dark/park.

12/5/10

Push press and auxillaries.

Video:

Push press:

Warmups:
barX15
95X10
135X5

Work sets:
75% 215X5
85% 240X3
95% 280X1 Well, this was supposed to be 270, but I can’t count, add, or see well sometimes hahah.

315X4 I wish I had not lost my balance/missed my groove on this set, as I wanted 5 or more. Oh well another time. I am resetting my push press max from this next cycle.

Back down to
260X10 Again, my stamina always fails here. More conditioning needed.

Bent over rear delt raise:
75sX8 for 3 sets

DB tri floor presses:
125sX10 for 3 sets.

Walked in the park, and did some various abdominal work, which consisted of planks/crunches/v-ups and what not. It was nice and chilly.

METAL:

This next week will be rather boring, due to the nature of de-loads.

[quote]DoveofWar08 wrote:
This next week will be rather boring, due to the nature of de-loads. [/quote]

And the fact that you do pussy push presses. bitch.

jk bud, kickin ass as always.

question, you ever done reverse band deadlifts or band resisted deadlifts? If so, whats your experience been? helpful?

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:

This next week will be rather boring, due to the nature of de-loads. [/quote]

And the fact that you do pussy push presses. bitch.

jk bud, kickin ass as always.

question, you ever done reverse band deadlifts or band resisted deadlifts? If so, whats your experience been? helpful?[/quote]

I’ve never tried reverse band deads, so no idea. Come to think of it, I have never done reverse bands on any lift. Huh, I guess I will have to get around to trying that sometime.

I have tried band resisted deadlifts before. I’ve done them with both short and long bands. With long bands, I set them up the same way that I do for squats. I just choke them around a few DBs and have some small plates set up to keep things stationary(I really wish my gym had band pegs on SOMETHING). The biggest thing that I have found about this is the shear pain in the ass factor of setting it up, as it takes time that you could spend on other things. The bands are rather different than straight weight and chains in that they seem to actually try to pull the bar out of your hands. It will be very challenging for your grip.

Above is a video that kinda shows how I set them up. Really, that band tension was a bit too heavy for the weight involved, as I had to hitch the weight up a bit. I’d recomend either light, monster minis, or mini bands for this. Or, make sure that the bar weight is light enough.

Here is a video of how I set them up with short bands:

I’m honestly not that big of a fan of short bands for deads. They always seemed to get stuck on my legs or screw with my feet while I was pulling. Not to mention that they can slide on your feet while you pull if you raise your toes when you pull. This suprised me when it happened. In general, the short bands just screwed with my set up too much for them to be usefull on deads. They are good for benching and certain machine work though.

I tend to like the lighter band tensions for band resistance on most lifts. When I got them, I bought the EFS band pack and got 2 of everything, so naturally, I tried the heaviest ones first. I really think that these had to be ment for folks much stronger than I am, or people in a shit ton of gear. The tension that the heavy band give at the bottom of most lifts is rather small, but is mind blowing at the top. The tension from the medium and heavy/strong bands also hits me like a ton of bricks on just about every lift. There really wasn’t a gradual build up, or maybe its better to say that the build up was much larger and much faster than the light and mini bands.

My total opinion on the bands is that, well, I’m not exactly sure yet. The light and minis are great for spead work I think. I also like them better for ME type work for the reasons mentioned above. I guess you could say that I am still forming an opinion on their Me effectiveness. Like I said, I think they are great for spead work though. I do know that StormtheBeach has written a bit about reverse band usage on deads.

Hope that my wall of text helps man.

12/1/10

Bench night.

Dips:
BDW X10
+miniband X5 for 2 sets

I wanted some volume here, but my shoulders just were not having it tonight. Eh, fuck it.

General thoughts:
I may stick with that no arch paused work for a bit. I kinda wanna hit 315 for 10 like that, but maybe it had some ill effects on my shoulders, as dips just felt different in a painfull way. Could just be that I need a break from dips maybe. Anyway, I think I will just stick with the floor tri press for a while, as that smoked my tris like no other, and gave me no shoulder, elbow, or wrist pain.

Training is one big never ending experiment.

[/quote]
x2 on “One big never ending experiment” haha

Dips started feeling strange to me about a month ago after some heavy pressing (bb and machine). Very strange feeling in my shoulder moving into my collar bone. Definately not going back to dips for a while epsecially with that creepy feeling.

I too have never had shoulder problems with neutral DB floor press, even with 130-150lb DBs

Alright, so I did reverse band deadlift. That. Was. Fun. I was able to overload the lockout in ways rack pulls have never done, made my lower back really have to power through. Got a photo of the set up on my log if you want to check it out.

Right about head level, so that it took about 120 or whatever to take the bands to the floor, and close to the top they go slack so that its all bar weight.

Damn I have awesome with paint skrillz.

ROFL… Awesome paint skillzz indeed. Thanks man. I may work this in as an auxillary lift sometime in the future.

Deat,

Yeah my feeling was not so much pain per say(there was some though) but just something that I know was off. Given that have run dips for a while, I think its time for a break.