Tomatoes, Yes or No?

Eating tomatoes may help prevent some cancers

http://foodconsumer.org/7777/8888/C_ancer_31/071109172007_Eating_tomatoes_may_help_prevent_some_cancers.shtml

A review by the Food and Drug Administration concludes for now that there is little evidence to suggest eating tomatoes and lycopene supplements would reduce risk of many forms of cancers. But the agency also concludes that “very limited evidence” suggests that consumption of tomatoes may reduce risks of prostate, ovarian, gastric and pancreatic cancers.

No Evidence Tomatoes, Lycopene Cut Cancer: FDA

http://www.forbes.com/forbeslife/health/feeds/hscout/2007/07/10/hscout606274.html

TUESDAY, July 10 (HealthDay News) – There’s little hard evidence that a diet rich in tomatoes and the tomato antioxidant lycopene can ward off cancer, according to research from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Reporting in the July 10 issue of the Journal of the American Cancer Institute, FDA experts lay out in great detail the evidence – or mostly lack of it – behind their November 2005 statement that tomato consumption is not linked to any reduction risk of tumors of the prostate, ovary, stomach and pancreas.

Same study. Opposite headlines.

Who knows. Tomatoes are healthy in many ways though and if a person likes them, they may as well continue eating them. If it wards of cancer, great. If not, they probably weren’t being relied upon for cancer prevention anyways.

Organic tomatoes on-the-vine have to be up there among the very best fruits you can eat.

Doesn’t matter. As an Italian, tomoatoes are in the diet anyway.

Ack. Only in salsa.

Tomatoes, “Yes”, sliced thin with some salt, pepper and a dose of olive oil. Maybe a little chopped basil and mozzarella cheese if I have it.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
Tomatoes, “Yes”, sliced thin with some salt, pepper and a dose of olive oil. Maybe a little chopped basil and mozzarella cheese if I have it.[/quote]

All you need is the toasted bread for bruschetta.

I’m not at all surprised. I think all that miracle foods crap is bullshit.

“If you eat a handful of brazil nuts everyday for the rest of your life, you have a 15% less chance of dying of pancreatic cancer.” Well glory be!

They should just say “Eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and you’ll probably live longer and better than someone who doesn’t.” But they’ve got to get funding for their big important “studies.”

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Same study. Opposite headlines. [/quote]

This shows the perversion that has corrupted science: business.

Now research journals all have publicists. It’s not even about the science anymore, it’s about getting the headline.

Will people stop “using” tomatoes because of the negative article? I really hope not.

BTW-Tomatoes are my favorite fruit/vegetable. (peppers are up there too)