Tom Hardy and Pnut Training

I’ve just read this article, quite interesting:

British film star Tom Hardy had to get into the shape of his life for mixed martial arts film Warrior. Follow his muscle maxims and you too can pack on lean muscle worthy of the Octagon.
Hardyâ??s trainer, Pnut, has a simple but unorthodox method for bulking fast. â??I call my philosophy â??signallingâ??,â?? he says. â??Throughout the day you need to send constant signals to your body, so that it adapts in the direction you point it in. Itâ??s better to do 10 press-ups every hour than 100 in a single burst. If you do things often enough, your body adapts for the task you set it, and you evolve.â??

Pnut recommends performing these exercises four times a day â?? when you wake up, at lunchtime, when you get home from work and before bed. It should only take about 20 minutes, but donâ??t rush. Use light weights and move slowly through the exercises, concentrating on perfect form. Start by doing it in the morning and evening, and then gradually add the other sessions in. If you want to pile on muscle as soon as possible, youâ??re going to have to get used to working out little but often. â??Remember,â?? says Pnut, â??there are no shortcuts.â??

Seems like it’s just high-volume bodybuilding to me. But instead of doing a double-split, the workload is spread out to 4x/day.

Similar concept to Pavel’s ‘greasing the groove’ and Waterbury’s recent bodyweight HFT specialization stuff.

Makes sense, I’ve always found I progress very rapidly on a lift/movement if I do it very often throughout a day, going nowhere near failure, but just slowly building up on a lot of volume.

Done this with pull ups, muscle ups on gymnastics rings, cleans, snatches (I just have a loaded barbell in the garden and I’ll go out there and do 1-2 reps every so often).

This is similar to weightlifters training 6 days a week.

You dont go all out all the time.

Funny that no actual fighter trains like that and they have an actor using body building style training for combat sports…

[quote]cstratton2 wrote:
Funny that no actual fighter trains like that and they have an actor using body building style training for combat sports… [/quote]
Yeah because Hardy was actually training like a full time fighter and he had to compete… hilarious.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
(I just have a loaded barbell in the garden and I’ll go out there and do 1-2 reps every so often).[/quote]

Like…in the vegetable garden, or the flower garden?

Do you have to move the barbell around when you cut the grass so it’s not in the way?

What about when it rains? Do you move it indoors, or put an umbrella over it?

Can your neighbors see you when you’re doing 1-2 reps? Do they holler over the fence they used to lift too and they have a brother with a friend that used to lift a lot more than you in his garden?

[quote]sen say wrote:

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
(I just have a loaded barbell in the garden and I’ll go out there and do 1-2 reps every so often).[/quote]

Like…in the vegetable garden, or the flower garden?

Do you have to move the barbell around when you cut the grass so it’s not in the way?

What about when it rains? Do you move it indoors, or put an umbrella over it?

Can your neighbors see you when you’re doing 1-2 reps? Do they holler over the fence they used to lift too and they have a brother with a friend that used to lift a lot more than you in his garden?

[/quote]

It’s a flower garden.

There is no grass only gravel.

I put it in the shed if it’s raining.

And yes to the last two questions!

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]cstratton2 wrote:
Funny that no actual fighter trains like that and they have an actor using body building style training for combat sports… [/quote]
Yeah because Hardy was actually training like a full time fighter and he had to compete… hilarious. [/quote]

Yeah I know bro I was being sarcastic haha

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]cstratton2 wrote:
Yeah because Hardy was actually training like a full time fighter and he had to compete… hilarious. [/quote]

Yeah I know bro I was being sarcastic haha