Told I Shouldn't Lift Heavy Anymore

Bummer - but I agree with the guy talking about Tate/Meadows - Look into training types that involve volume, intensity techniques and low rest times. It’s difficult but in a different way than lifting heavy.

I would assume it was roughly based on what he said he was capable of doing.

I have no pertinent medical background of which to advise but I did just want to say that there does have to be a point where you draw the line and determine what’s important. Props to you for knowing when to cut back.

Personally, if it were me, I would focus more on volume and the mind muscle connection and stop worrying about the numbers as was said earlier. Dial in your nutrition, focus on that training, and you will probably be pretty happy with how you turn out…

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]silverblood wrote:
I was told today that I shouldn’t lift heavy any more. I’ve been out on sick leave for over 2 mths recovering from emergency retina detachment surgery in my rt eye. went in today to see the doc and was told when I get back to the gym not to push it. I’ve got a thinning in my left eye that might let go or it might stay fine.

it changed the rx in the eye. I can see but things still look a little like a funhouse mirror. I’m probably going to have to get cataract surgery within a year because of what they did to my eye. if it doesn’t heal right I might lose my job. as of now my depth of field is still shakey.

I love to lift heavy although I’m not in the category of most of the people here. before the surgery I was dead lifting 505, squatting 465, and benching 365 for reps. not bad for 56 but nothing special. the doc I saw today told me I should probably not go over 315. got to figure out a whole new program and any suggestions would be welcome.

I mean WTF, I’m going to be one of the ugliest cardio bunny’s in the gym. and yes, I’m going to get a 2nd opinion.

if you go to youtube you can see the type of surgery I had. it’s rough to watch.[/quote]
DO NOT fuck with this.

Unless you are fine being blind in that eye. [/quote]

Yeah, there is no way I would suggest you go against his advice to the detriment of your eyes. Most dr’s don’t get lifting, but that doesn’t mean they don’t know what they are talking about either. Most doctors would suggest you never lift heavy, so you would have to go to one that is friendly to the lifting community. To get an honest to goodness second opinion.

I get it. I am screwed because of a botched back surgery. I will never get big numbers ever again. That’s why I dropped a bunch of weight. I cannot maintain it and what I cannot maintain, I did not want to carry.
It’s depressing, but seeing is more important that lifting 500 lbs.

Truly, 315 lbs is a lot of weight still. We don’t think about it that way because we’re used to it, but in reality, it is still a shit ton of weight.
If I were you, I would cut.

I’ll just have to learn a new way of working out but I still won’t do those 1/4 squats I see in the classes at my gym!

[quote]silverblood wrote:
I’ll just have to learn a new way of working out but I still won’t do those 1/4 squats I see in the classes at my gym!
[/quote]
You’re lucky you only see them in classes and not in the cage!

Come log in the 035. Many of us (myself included) have physical limitations we have to work around.

Good luck!