T Nation

Tokyo Help!

I’ll be studying abroad next semester in Tokyo at Meikai University (it’s in Makuhari in Chiba Prefecture). I’d love to start training Judo while I’m there, but I’m more concerned with maintaining my lifting gains/ continuing to grow.

I know nothing about the gyms there and I know nothing about the supplement market. Presumably if I’m staying with a host family then I really just have to eat when they eat, but I’m sure I’ll find a way to boost the protein.

Anyway, um. Help! Or as they would say: Tasukete!

Well I got nothing on the supplements there. But you can always save some cash in a “food fund” now, so when you get there you can supplement the protein intake, and get more milk and/or meat. Good luck though.

You could always order online for some supplements. I don’t know how good the delivery will be, but if that is your only method, then I would stongly recommend it.

yeah thanks guys, that’s probably the way to go… looks like there is a gold’s gym in makuhari actually! haha! these things are everywhere!

Sweet, im thinking of trying to study abroad either there or spain for my master’s.

Im so jelous of you.

Find out if its legal to bring creatine, or if they sell it there, thats all you really need.

Other than that, theyve got tons of rice and fish for you to eat, shouldn’t be a problem.

[quote]FutureGL wrote:
I’ll be studying abroad next semester in Tokyo at Meikai University (it’s in Makuhari in Chiba Prefecture). I’d love to start training Judo while I’m there, but I’m more concerned with maintaining my lifting gains/ continuing to grow.

I know nothing about the gyms there and I know nothing about the supplement market. Presumably if I’m staying with a host family then I really just have to eat when they eat, but I’m sure I’ll find a way to boost the protein.

Anyway, um. Help! Or as they would say: Tasukete![/quote]

The Gold’s gyms in Japan are pretty good, most other gyms suck in Japan except for some university gyms. Different management. I have never been to the one in Makuhari. The ones in Omori, Oimachi, Nakano and Harajuku(all Tokyo) are good. Omori and Oimachi have Olympic lifting platforms. Kettlebells. Dumbbells go to 200 pounds. They also got a good network of combat sport schools, jujitsu, mma, kickboxing, boxing, karate. Lots of K-1 guys go to the Omori branch before fights because the entire second floor is devoted to bags, rings, wrestling mats. Since the gym culture isn’t very widespread in Japan you will see the same people come to the gym.

They sell supplements. Protein more expensive than in the states. Taste isn’t as good. Quality is good. Cheapest is 4000 yen for 900-1000 grams(2 lbs)for whey.
Fish can be cheap if you buy from a fish market, 320 yen for 3 salmon steaks. Well I think that is cheap, cheap for Tokyo. 50 yen for spanish mackeral.

Beef=expensive. Cheap would be 398 yen for 250 grams. It isn’t strange to see Wagyu(Kobe beef) for 2000-3000 yen. Chicken, you could get it cheap if you went to Hanamasa(wholesaler) 680 yen for 7-8 breasts. Otherwise the supermarket will sell it for 400 yen or so for 3 chicken breasts. Cottage cheese 330-350 yen for 200 grams(like half a pint).
Fruit is not cheap. Around where I live you would be lucky to find a mango for less than 350 yen. Apples 4 for 398 yen(I have seen 298 yen). Oranges 88 yen for one. Brocolli 250 yen(though I have seen it as low as 138 yen) for one fist sized bunch. Oatmeal(if you can find it in Chiba) 500 yen for a kg.

Pack as much protein as possible is my advice. Or bring enough money. I would say 2000 yen a day not including transportation fees and if you do go out. 5000 yen a day if you like going out. If you go out to eat alot you cannot avoid the rice. Rice comes with everything. Better to make your own meals if you are trying to avoid all those carbs.

Shipping charges are expensive. Like 40 dollars on a 5 pound shipment. If you ordered 50 pounds of protein(10, 5 pound containers) shipping is around 170 dollars.

Wow that’s great! I wasn’t expecting such a thorough answer. Too bad about the prices on poultry and beef, but I’ll definitely take your advice on the fish and wholesale markets. Thanks a lot!

http://www.themeatguy.jp/