Tofu Means Brain Damage

BBC NEWS | Have Your Say | Tofu 'may raise risk of dementia'

But fermented soy is still ok.

i find it hilarious/sad how so many people of european, english and in general caucasian descent are chowing down soy products left and right as if they were asians eating it for thousands of years

seems these people have never heard of food allergies/sensitivities

I eat tofu, but it’s the odd occasion and usually in a stir-fry. If you’re eating it every single day then that’s probably not a good idea. I haven’t heard too many bad things about soy as long as it’s consumed in moderation.

If you have a strong constitution you can eat almost anything and not get ill.

I want to say- don’t be a pussy and eat your tofu but that just doesn’t sound right.

“Soy is for dorks” - Poliquin

I think the authors of the study may be confusing causation with correlation.

That avatar is definitely the best ive seen poor pup

Very true, I think this is the case with nearly every food in existence. All this study does is reiterate what some of us already know: a diverse diet is the best diet.

[quote]etaco wrote:
I think the authors of the study may be confusing causation with correlation.[/quote]

Get the authors the benefit of the doubt�??it could just be more bad journalism from the SOY IS EVIL (pay no attention to the countless generations of Asians who have lived on it for millennia!) crowd. On the upside, this gives hack nutrition authors something else to use when they aren’t regaling the merits of discredited soy studies from the 1980s.

I thought tofu meant tits. I occasionally eat the stuff , cheap protein as far as im concerned, but I find it a bitch to cook and eating it from the tub just ain’t good. The people of Asia have been eating it for ages with no ill effect. I still wouldn’t base my diet on soy. Call me a parrot but those are my beliefs.

People extrapolate these studies and think that even touching tofu will poison you…well, they’re wrong. The study itself says that the people consumed tofu on a daily basis. You can’t draw conclusions from that for people who consume tofu in moderation. That being said, those who are anti-soy will bring up studies like this for why you should never go near the stuff…ignoring the holes in their argument.

I’m also curious how they studies are conducted. Sure, these people consumed tofu daily, but they also ate other stuff…how do you remove all those other factors? Maybe people who eat tofu daily never eat meat and what’s really causing the brain issues is the lack of meat in their diet…and maybe the tofu has nothing to do with it. I don’t know, but still…don’t take studies at face value.

[quote]supabeast wrote:
etaco wrote:
I think the authors of the study may be confusing causation with correlation.

Get the authors the benefit of the doubt�??it could just be more bad journalism from the SOY IS EVIL (pay no attention to the countless generations of Asians who have lived on it for millennia!) crowd. On the upside, this gives hack nutrition authors something else to use when they aren’t regaling the merits of discredited soy studies from the 1980s. [/quote]

are you of this asian descent where your ancestors ate soy for thousands of years ? soy won’t do you any favors if it inflames your GI tract because your body isn’t used to that protein

[quote]Poacher1632 wrote:
That avatar is definitely the best ive seen poor pup[/quote]

Poor tiger.

I know soy isn’t the greatest protein source, but some folks think they’ll grow tits if they drink a glass of soy milk daily.

Remember the interview with Coach Dos Remedios? The guy is vegetarian and regularly consumes soy and laughed at the implications of consuming too much of the ‘evil’ soy protein. Said it didn’t mean shit, and I agree.

Just like when Poliquin said oatmeal sucks and the world came crashing down. Didn’t he suggest quinoa instead? Yeah, like that has the same consistency/taste - great substitute!

Besides, if most of us here have our nutrition nailed down, I wonder how much healthier we are on average compared to the people used in these studies…probably enough to where even a regular intake - albeit a small amount each time - of soy wouldn’t do jack to your health.

[quote]dfreezy wrote:
Digity wrote: If you’re eating it every single day then that’s probably not a good idea. I haven’t heard too many bad things about soy as long as it’s consumed in moderation.

Very true, I think this is the case with nearly every food in existence. All this study does is reiterate what some of us already know: a diverse diet is the best diet.[/quote]

exactly. soy is great for you in small doses. meat also has its pros and drawbacks.