Today's Tip - Confused

ok, maybe it’s because i woke up not too long ago, but i’m confused at the description of today’s tip.

first it says that if you raise your arms above parallel you’ll bring in the traps… then to avoid that you should go from 45 degrees below parallel to 45 degree ABOVE parallel? but i thought going above parallel brings in the traps???

"Perfect Lateral Raises

Any lateral raising of the arms beyond parallel to the ground sees a sudden increase in upper trap involvement. This isn’t bad in itself, but if you wanted to keep the tension on the delts and not give yourself a rest, you may want to reduce the range. To really isolate the optimal overload range of the delts during the lateral raise, reduce the range of the arm movement from about 45 degrees below arm parallel to about 45 degrees above arm parallel."

[quote]ProjectX wrote:
ok, maybe it’s because i woke up not too long ago, but i’m confused at the description of today’s tip.

first it says that if you raise your arms above parallel you’ll bring in the traps… then to avoid that you should go from 45 degrees below parallel to 45 degree ABOVE parallel? but i thought going above parallel brings in the traps???

"Perfect Lateral Raises

Any lateral raising of the arms beyond parallel to the ground sees a sudden increase in upper trap involvement. This isn’t bad in itself, but if you wanted to keep the tension on the delts and not give yourself a rest, you may want to reduce the range. To really isolate the optimal overload range of the delts during the lateral raise, reduce the range of the arm movement from about 45 degrees below arm parallel to about 45 degrees above arm parallel."
[/quote]

I don’t get it either.

That is the optimal range for keeping the delts loaded. Anything above or below those markers put considerably less load on the delts.

Try it. You’ll understand.

Me either…I think this is a mis print because 45 degrees would be about max range unless your some kind of double jointed freak.

"That is the optimal range for keeping the delts loaded. Anything above or below those markers put considerably less load on the delts.

Try it. You’ll understand."

Although that may be true, I still wonder if that’s what Ian King meant or if it’s a misprint because he’s seemingly contradicting himself.

Yeah, it doesn’t make any sense to me either.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who didn’t get it.

Try the lean-away variety detailed in CT’s “Shoulders Overhaul”.

It makes more sense if you simply change,
“To really isolate the optimal overload range of the delts during the lateral raise, reduce the range of the arm movement from about 45 degrees below arm parallel to about 45 degrees above arm parallel.”

to

“To really isolate the optimal overload range of the delts during the lateral raise, reduce the range of the arm movement from about 45 degrees above arm parallel to about 45 degrees below arm parallel.”

It would make it more like partials which many bodybuilders do to maximize the stress on a muscle by only working it through the range of movement where the most stress is felt. I personally take mine just short of parallel, however, I do see many newbies basically taking the weight up as high as ear level. Actually using more weight than the usual 10lb dumbbells might help them with this.