Today's Article: "Lifters Over 30 Need to Get Real" is Pretty Silly

That’s pretty amazing! You should definitely start a thread. I don’t know anything about it really but it looks like an interesting subject to learn. I will probably need it one day.

1 Like

It’s nice to have someone talking intelligently about stem cells that has first hand experience and is articulate. I hope you keep us posted.

2 Likes

That’s amazing & thanks for all the detail \m/

Please start a separate thread!

My only question so far is do you know what effect that stem therapy would have on historical surgery. Specifically I had about 20% of my right lateral quad cut out after a car crash & a part of the car going into my leg then getting reinfected requiring surgery.

So what I’m wondering is would stem therapy cause some freaky growth trying to repair that leg? I’m guessing not - that not even stem therapy could replace a large absence of tissue & the neat scar tissue in its place.

I too believe we’re living in amazing times - I think it’s the tip of the iceberg.

Regarding my leg, I reckon within 10 years a whole new lateral quad will be grown from my DNA & put into my leg, making it perfectly fine again. Provided I have the cash, anyway :smiley:

Yeah, that’s not quite how it works. But yes, old injuries can be healed or partially healed.

Jimmy Graham’s video is here

His repaired but painful and partially dysfunctional knee, and his other knee with a patella tear were both treated successfully. I don’t think the exogenous compounds care whether the injury is old or new.

Bear in mind, that the procedure is highly controversial, but having gone through it, in essence all you are doing is reinserting your own juice back into you at a very high concentration. I’m aggressive, however, and will take calculated risks. If I wait till the FDA says this sort of procedure is safe (which is a long shot b/c these therapies have HUGE implications with big pharma), I’ll be dead.

The tails of woe you can read about related to stem cell therapies gone bad, have little to no relationship to the protocol followed by Dr. Ray.

Interestingly, there are around a hundred NFL players who’ve had this done, but everyone until Graham is keeping it on the down low given the controversy.

@knobby22

How’re your knees, ankle, shoulders feeling now after the stem cell therapy?

It won’t be long before I go on HGH ‘replacement’ therapy & try stem cells

1 Like

Another thing about pros is that a publicized history of injury can cost them millions on contract negotiation.

I’m not criticizing their decision and what you say makes sense.

Knees feel great. Just hit a 565 reverse band raw squat and everything held up. LOL. Shoulders still have nagging issues but am completely pain free during benching. Ankle is great and asymptomatic.

I’ve tried HGH for 2 years with no discernible affect other than my checking account.

1 Like

Great stuff Knobby, please keep us updated.

In a way that’s disappointing about the HGH, but there are new alternatives all the time too, so optimistic as well

Hey everyone, remember when that silly author said it was guys in their 20s setting world record lifts?

10 Likes

He’s a cartoon character.

1 Like

According to the author, he needs to get real!

1 Like

When I grow up I want to be Halfthor. And the whole over 30 thing is stupid. I’m 47, competed in Strongman and some HG’s, and I have none of the “Problems” I should be worried about. My biggest issue is finding more plates during Covid-19.

2 Likes

Its good that you are doing well with your lifting. I have a couple of friends that are similar, but admit that most people in their late 40’s and over are on the decline physically, due to ageing, natural hormone reduction ,wear and tear abuse from years of heavy lifting.

You can get around it with PED’s though.

I am on TRT. Honestly, I think I could do more than 10 years ago if I could stay on schedule and keep access to stuff ( Thanks Covid 19). Some guys do a lot more stupid stuff than they’ll admit to later, that’s the real problem.

If you follow Lee Boyce at all then you’ll realize his target audience is average Joe. We aren’t really average Joe’s. I feel very average but upon further review, the number of 35 year olds who never miss more than a week of training each year is quite low.

The average gym goer goes to the gym for a few months, disappears for more months, and then repeats the cycle. The other part of his target audience is people who are in their 30s who return to the gym after years of being sedentary.

I actually see a couple of people I met at the gym when I think of people who need to get real. They’re in their 30s and lift regularly, but they don’t really follow a progression or plan. If they do, it only applies to bench. They drink lots of beer and spend their weekends at the lake or playing softball.

Those are the guys who need to train smart. I’ve seen Boyce say something like “Bob from accounting doesn’t need to be deadlifting four plates.” I agree. Three plates is sufficient strength for Bob and the risk of heavy one rep maxes isn’t worth it.

Keep of mind, the target audience and most people who read these articles just want to get in better shape. Goals include losing weight, getting stronger, adding muscle mass. Notice how those are vague. Those folks aren’t the same as those of us with concrete goals like squatting four plates or pressing our bodyweight overhead.

And if I’m being honest, no one cares if I hit my deadlift goal. I probably had adequate strength levels for what I do a long time ago and could’ve maintained that without deadlifting and squatting. But I really enjoy deadlifts. Squats can piss off, though.

6 Likes

It’s been a while since I made this initial post, but my criticism is the same: I am critiquing his specific comment that it’s the guys in their 20s setting world record lifts. I think Lee went way outside his wheelhouse with that comment, and didn’t bother to actually look at 2 of the biggest strength sports out there (strongman and powerlifitng). If he wanted to only talk weightlifting, I woulda given it to him: the quick lifts are a young man’s game.

1 Like

I think everyone’s perception is different due to our natural and involuntary biases. My perception of his article is that it’s geared towards average people who go to the gym with certain expectations. Those expectations are usually based off of successful things that they’ve seen including feats of strength. Unfortunately, we are usually exposed to the cream of the crop. I think Lee tries to get people to understand that it’s unhealthy to compare yourself to an elite performer when you are average at best.

2 Likes

I have no problem with wanting to accomplish that: I just think it can be done without lying to the reader.

Instead of saying those lifts are being done by 20 year olds, come clean and say they are being done by 30 and 40 year olds. Just go on to explain that they have trained for decades to get there.

3 Likes

I just took a look at the raw deadlift World records on Powerliftingwatch. 8 of the 11 weight classes have records set/held by lifters in their 20s.
123 634 Lamar Gant USA 1980 - 23 yrs old

132 630 Stuart Jamieson UK 10/28/17 - 27 yrs old

148 705 Dan Austin USA 08/01/92 - 30s

165 760 Dmitriy Nasonov RUS 12/06/15 - 23 yrs old

181 881 Dmitriy Nasonov Russia 10/28/17 - 25 yrs old

198 881 Cailer Woolam USA 02/11/17 - 23 yrs old

220 953 Krzysztof Wierzbicki POL 06/22/19 - 29 yrs old

242 971 Jamal Browner Russia 02/01/20 - 25 yrs old

275 931 Konstantin Morozov Russia 02/24/19 - 34 yrs old

308 939 K Konstantinovs Latvia 2009 - 31 yrs old

SHW 1,015 Benedikt Magnusson ISL 04/02/11 - 28 yrs old

I don’t think posting a video of a 31-year old (who’s also the epitome of a genetic outlier) breaking a record set by a 28-year old is significant in contradicting what Boyce said - that the majority of records are set under 30.

2 Likes