T Nation

Tobacco Withdrawal

I have know decided to quit smokeless tobacco, i have been doing it a year now.

I haven’t used much, just 3-5 a day, so i guess im not really addicted to nicotine, its probably just in the head. I know i need to quit now, because it will only get harder when i get really addicted.

So what did you guys do when you withrawed from nicotine?
Any good tips on how to stop thinking about it? I know i will make it, if i just can stop think about it. Please give me some good motivation methods. :slight_smile:

Imagine how much easier it would’ve been to quit way back when – before they perfected all those tobacco additives that make nicotine more effective and more addictive.

Nah, you’re addicted. Just don’t be a pussy about it. If you want to quit, just do it and be done. I hear the first week is the worst.

I’ve smoked for a long time and never tried to quit, but I’d imagine it is a bitch. Just keep to it.

[quote]Tx5000 wrote:

I haven’t used much, just 3-5 a day, so i guess im not really addicted to nicotine, its probably just in the head. I know i need to quit now, because it will only get harder when i get really addicted.

Any good tips on how to stop thinking about it? I know i will make it, if i just can stop think about it. Please give me some good motivation methods. :)[/quote]

Basically just quit being a wuss. That is pretty much it. We all know there are cravings, withdrawals, head aches etc.

You just have to deal with it. They are only temporary. They are unavoidable. Just do it.

[quote]texasguy1 wrote:
Tx5000 wrote:

Any good tips on how to stop thinking about it? I know i will make it, if i just can stop think about it. Please give me some good motivation methods. :slight_smile:

Basically just quit being a wuss. That is pretty much it. We all know there are cravings, withdrawals, head aches etc.

You just have to deal with it. They are only temporary. They are unavoidable. Just do it. [/quote]

Yeah youre right. Fuck it, i just quit right now, And im never gonna touch that shit again. This will be a good test for my determination :slight_smile:

[quote]Tx5000 wrote:
texasguy1 wrote:
Tx5000 wrote:

You just have to deal with it. They are only temporary. They are unavoidable. Just do it.

Yeah youre right. Fuck it, i just quit right now, And im never gonna touch that shit again. This will be a good test for my determination :slight_smile:

[/quote]
yep. I quit dipping a few years ago myself. It is definately tough. Think of it as a training session. Your legs feel like they are going to fall off, your hands are shaking with adrenaline, you head is telling you to lie down and stay still for hours, but you push through your last set and eventually the pain, mental anguish and doubt subside and you feel all the better for it.

[quote]texasguy1 wrote:
Tx5000 wrote:

You just have to deal with it. They are only temporary. They are unavoidable. Just do it. [/quote]

Exactly. They will pass, just don’t give in.

I just surrounded myself with “information” on the evils of tobacco. I read up on how horrible it is for the body and I didn’t care whether or not the reading was true or not. I still don’t care, because I was able to quit. I got my also increased consumption of coffee and energy drinks.

After a week you’ll be “okay.” You’ll miss it and will probably never stop, but you’ll be over the hump.

1. don’t hang out with anyone who will dip around you, especially if drinking. In fact, it would be best to abstain from drinking for a few weeks until you get it under control and get a solid streak going (this is the only way I could kick the smokes).

2. print off some pics of the damage it can do to your body (Google Image) and stick them to your door so you walk by them every day. My roommate got a kick outta me doing that one.

3. gum is gonna be your best friend for a while.

4. DO NOT DRINK WHILE HANGING AROUND PEOPLE WHO CAN GIVE HOOK YOU UP FOR AT LEAST A FEW WEEKS. Already said that, but trust me, when you get your buzz on it’s easy to talk yourself into doing stupid shit.

5. don’t do it “after you finish this pouch,” or if you slip up and buy one, toss it as soon as you come to your senses, don’t worry about the “waste of money.” I’ve thrown my fair share of 19-cigarette packs out the car window before.

6. get a good friend to smack you around or force you to spit it out whenever he sees you do it (in case you slip). You may hate him for a while, but you’ll thank him in the end (it takes a good friend to tell you to fuck yourself when you’re having a nic fit). Trust your other friends to tell you to buzz off if you ask them to hook you up with some.

I’ll toss in some more when I get a new keyboard…surprisingly inconvenient to type with broken delete/enter keys.

Trust me, though - as hard as it may be now, a few months down the road you will be incredibly glad you quit when you did. Shit, 95% of the people I know who use tobacco say they wish they never started.

[quote]conner wrote:

1. don’t hang out with anyone who will dip around you, especially if drinking. In fact, it would be best to abstain from drinking for a few weeks until you get it under control and get a solid streak going (this is the only way I could kick the smokes).

2. print off some pics of the damage it can do to your body (Google Image) and stick them to your door so you walk by them every day. My roommate got a kick outta me doing that one.

3. gum is gonna be your best friend for a while.

4. DO NOT DRINK WHILE HANGING AROUND PEOPLE WHO CAN GIVE HOOK YOU UP FOR AT LEAST A FEW WEEKS. Already said that, but trust me, when you get your buzz on it’s easy to talk yourself into doing stupid shit.

5. don’t do it “after you finish this pouch,” or if you slip up and buy one, toss it as soon as you come to your senses, don’t worry about the “waste of money.” I’ve thrown my fair share of 19-cigarette packs out the car window before.

6. get a good friend to smack you around or force you to spit it out whenever he sees you do it (in case you slip). You may hate him for a while, but you’ll thank him in the end (it takes a good friend to tell you to fuck yourself when you’re having a nic fit). Trust your other friends to tell you to buzz off if you ask them to hook you up with some.

I’ll toss in some more when I get a new keyboard…surprisingly inconvenient to type with broken delete/enter keys.

Trust me, though - as hard as it may be now, a few months down the road you will be incredibly glad you quit when you did. Shit, 95% of the people I know who use tobacco say they wish they never started.[/quote]

for the OP, fuck the gum and safety catches. They wind up being cop outs more than help. From your post above it sounds like you have already made up your mind. Your mind set and resolve are what help. Gum and other distractions only make you think about dipping more.

Just get mad at your cravings and tell them to fuck off mentally. No sugar coating.

[quote]texasguy1 wrote:
for the OP, fuck the gum and safety catches. They wind up being cop outs more than help. From your post above it sounds like you have already made up your mind. Your mind set and resolve are what help. Gum and other distractions only make you think about dipping more.

Just get mad at your cravings and tell them to fuck off mentally. No sugar coating. [/quote]

Chewing gum is hardly what I would call a “cop out” - I can’t speak for dipping, but I know that a few years back I used to have a smoke whenever I drove my car around.

When I finally got around to quitting, I would get a restless sensation in my arm whenever I drove (I drive an automatic), and THAT made me think about smoking cigarettes the entire fucking trip. I started bringing along a soda or water with me when I drove, to feed the habit of both arms having something to do when driving, which ultimately made the quitting easier.

If the OP is used to carrying something around in his mouth
(there’s a joke here somewhere, I think), then in my opinion it would be easier for him to quit dipping if he wasn’t battling both the habit of chewing itself as well as the nicotine addiction. Slay one dragon at a time.

Besides, how many people (realistically) manage to quit the first time they try? It never hurts to have people who are gonna bust your balls should you slip up.

I disagree about that. My father quit using the NicodermCQ patch and he hasn’t smoked in 10 years.

Thanx for all the motivation guys, it really helps. I tossed my last box yesterday, so this is my first day without it.

Tell your wife and/or girlfriend(s) to withhold sex from you when you dip…worked for me real quick…

They also make tobacco free herbal chew/dip. One of the players on my team who had been dipping for something like 3 or 4 years quit while using the stuff last year.

I quit 10 years ago; I used the patch .I quit drinking until I felt I could have a beer with out wanting a Cigarette too bad. I stayed away from everyone that smoked and did not want to discuss my quitting with any body. Good luck and make it as easy on yourself as possible.

Been a couple of days now, and im still holding out, whenever the cravings come i just tell my self to stop being a wuss (lol) and that i must hold out. Try not to think about it, and im actually doing fine.

Something that really helped me quit dipping was a product called “Bacc-Off”. Basically, it’s an herbal blend that contains no tobacco or nicotine yet mimics the taste of Copenhagen. You can pretty much find a blend to match the tobacco of your choice.

I chewed on sunflower seeds when I was kicking the copenhagen habit. Cracking the shells and spitting them out help distract me from the craving.
Good luck. Quitting sucks. No one likes a quitter.

The physical addiction will pass quickly, relative, the mental is a lot longer.
I like the idea of literature about the evils. Maybe go to a hospital and see people on respirators? Scared straight?

Good luck. It’s tough. You’re tougher.