Most find that TRT makes them more calm and collected, less emotional. But is has to be done right:
-E2 must be managed as needed to be near 22pg/ml to avoid the negative effects of elevated E2 levels.
-TRT increases/restores metabolic rate. If your thyroid function is low or cortisol low, things do not keep up and sometimes a guy can feel worse.
Please read these stickies:
- advice for new guys --- need more info about you <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
- things that damage your hormones
- protocol for injections
- finding a TRT doc
You need these labs:
LH/FSH - must be done before TRT
CBC with hematocrit
A1C if 20 pounds overweight or if glucose known to be high
IGF-1 to eval GH
fT4 [please not T3, T4]
AM cortisol [at 8AM please]
Check your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures:
- when you first wake up, should be 97.7 - 97.8, higher is OK, 97.3 is a problem.
- also check for 98.6 mid-afternoon
- if temperatures good, you can skip labs for TSH, fT3, fT4
- if temperatures are low, this can be from not using iodized salt and/or vitamins that list iodine+selenium
--- then read the thyroid basics sticky
Long term use of tranquilizers creates many problems and stopping leads to lots of issues.
5000iu Vit-D3, take 25,000 for first 5 days
high potency B-complex multi-vit with trace elements and iodine+selenium WITHOUT ANY IRON
EFA's from fish oil, nuts, flax seed oil/meals
25mg DHEA if DHEA-S below mid range
Vit-C, natural source Vit-E
Magnesium supplement [if you ever get muscle craps]
SSRI's spoil sexual function. Perhaps you could switch to Wellbutrin if you feel its the right time.
Stopping SSRI's is not pleasant!