To Train to Failure or not to, what is better?

[quote]Cartman8675 wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]MeinHerzBrennt wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]CraigGold55 wrote:

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]DeltaOne wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]Raffy wrote:

[quote]Dasher wrote:

[quote]Fuzzyapple.Train wrote:

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I think you should post a recent picture of yourself[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

This thread would fit in great in the Misc. Very bb.com.

[quote]Dasher wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]DeltaOne wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]Raffy wrote:

[quote]Dasher wrote:

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:

[quote]Dasher wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]DeltaOne wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]Raffy wrote:

[quote]Dasher wrote:

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Dasher wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]DeltaOne wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]Raffy wrote:

[quote]Dasher wrote:

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Dasher wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]DeltaOne wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]Raffy wrote:

[quote]Dasher wrote:

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]Ritter wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Dasher wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]DeltaOne wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]Raffy wrote:

[quote]Dasher wrote:

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]scj119 wrote:

[quote]Ritter wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Dasher wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]DeltaOne wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]Raffy wrote:

[quote]Dasher wrote:

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]scj119 wrote:

[quote]Ritter wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Dasher wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]DeltaOne wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]Raffy wrote:

[quote]Dasher wrote:

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Why don’t you post a recent pic?

It is only onwards and upwards from here…

One of the most useful things about this site (for me) is the sense of support I get. Being held accountable for my progress.

[quote]roguevampire wrote:
Training to failure is how I’ve always trained, ever since I could remember. Lift the weight, till you can’t do another full rep. But, ive been reading more and more articles about how not training to failure, to stop 2 reps short. I read one article that says, the moment you explosiveness startes to fade, and you start grinding out the reps, you should stop the set. I now beleive its not the intensity that builds muscle, but just the over all amount of work done. And as long as you keep progressing in your workouts(adding weight) you will get bigger. I have for years would look and feel great for a few weeks, then all of sudden, id look alot smaller and feel like shit. only when I took a few days off, would i feel better again. Since i train each bodypart 2x per week on average, something had to give. I was already doing a fairly low volume workout. So now, I will be reducing the intensity to 1 or 2 reps shy of failure.

Just curious to what others think on this matter.[/quote]

Training to failure is how I’ve always trained, ever since I could remember. Lift the weight, till you can’t do another full rep. But, ive been reading more and more articles about how not training to failure, to stop 2 reps short. I read one article that says, the moment you explosiveness startes to fade, and you start grinding out the reps, you should stop the set. I now beleive its not the intensity that builds muscle, but just the over all amount of work done. And as long as you keep progressing in your workouts(adding weight) you will get bigger. I have for years would look and feel great for a few weeks, then all of sudden, id look alot smaller and feel like shit. only when I took a few days off, would i feel better again. Since i train each bodypart 2x per week on average, something had to give. I was already doing a fairly low volume workout. So now, I will be reducing the intensity to 1 or 2 reps shy of failure.

Whats with the haters? he was just asking a question. He doesn’t need to prove shit to no one.

I think its a plausible theory you are going to train by, I always try to leave one rep in the tank when I am power training, but I go to failure when I train in a BB split. I usually do 3-4 months of BB split and then do a strength training method such as 531 for the next 3-4 months. I find that leaving a rep in the tank so to speak is only useful to me when strength training as it keeps me fresh for the next session.

When I am after a growth faze, I train to failure as I allow longer to recover between each body part and get better results that way. I’ve only been training for just on 2yrs so I’m certainly not an expert on it, but a guy I train with that BB all year round never trains to failure as he says it hampers his recovery and describes a situation similar to yours with feeling good than like crap. I guess if I stuck with a bb split all year round, training to failure would be pretty hard all the time.

I do find that bb training wears me down more overall, and I really need to watch my nutrition to keep my energy levels high. I’ve been carrying too much body fat the last 4 months and recently changed back to a bb program, its really hampering my training and that could be why I feel a bit run down with the bb split I’m on, but I still think training to failure with it is beneficial as I think it breaks the muscle tissue down more, well I get bloody sore DOMS with it, so it must be working.

Training to failure is the way to go if you are aiming for hypertrophy.

I always go to failure on the last set and even drop set that shit as well when i’m at it anyway.

Train hard eat big and clean en oh yea most of all… just have patients.

Don’t get how someone can get so offended when someone asks them to post a photo… :confused:

I never think of it as overtraining I just see it that I’m not recovering fast enough from not eating and sleeping as much as I need to be.

I agree that training just one way will eventually lose it’s effectiveness, or at least your preceived effectiveness.It is up to the individual to find the best way to train that day for that muscle for your level of development and your goals. I don’t think there is a golden method, there are methods available and it is up to you to find the best method(s). Trial and error. I like the old school method of light(failure) and heavy(not to failure) days.

Recently i’ve stopped training to failure in all but my top working set. Definatley helps to keep me motivated as I’m seeing progression each time I hit the gym. It leaves a bit in the tank for the last set where I’m lifting more weight or doing more reps than ever before.

I learned this lesson very recently. I came off cycle and lost strength on my bench press really quick, in like a week. I freaked out and started seriously over-training chest trying desperately to retain the strength I had gained. I was hitting 315 for 10 while on, after a few weeks of trying everything to get back to that I was down to sets of 3-4, worse than before. I took 3 straight days off this weekend unintentionally, ate like shit, came back and hit it for 7 on Monday.

This was my first experience with overtraining and it’s given me a better perspective of my body and it’s natural limits. I think going to failure occasionally is a good thing, every workout not so much (unless you are drug assisted). I am however a firm believer in high intensity workouts. Lifting a weight for a single rep 10 times is not going to do as much for you as grinding out 10 brutal reps where you push your muscles to the limit. Remember your muscles don’t know how much weight is being lifted, only how hard they are having to work.

[quote]Dasher wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]MODOK wrote:

[quote]DeltaOne wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]Raffy wrote:

[quote]Dasher wrote:

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

http://askville.amazon.com/Women-find-muscular-men-attractive-unattractive-Read-details/DiscussionBoard.do?requestId=2501180&page=5#db

in page 5, 3rd post from the end, is our roguevampire, with the same picture as now, but 26 months ago…I believe the possibility of a newer pic is non existant…

At the start of a cycle (or a new exercise) you usually keep a rep or two in the tank, then as intensity/load increases over the weeks, you push it to the max and milk the gains until overall fatigue builds up and you need to pull back and rebound.

Failure training is simply another method of adding intensiveness to your training (is more fatiguing and requires less volume)

It doesn’t have to be all or nothing, use both methods. Higher volume for some weeks, then drop sets as intensity/load increases and push sets to failure.

This thread started to remind me of those “mirror in a mirror” images.

lol