T Nation

To Spill Or Not to Spill?

it’s basically what Vbulletins have been for years, real live time posts w/o moderation (or so it seems). Why they don’t just use that is beyond me

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
In fact, I’ll go so far as to reveal I am even less inclined to read the article itself. Reason? I often used to read the entire article JUST so I was fully informed when I went into the article discussion. Now that I tend to skip the discussion it’s a little easier to walk away from the article as well.[/quote]

Truth. The authors comments following an article oftentimes could make some important points or comments about the use or when not to use the information in the article, and usually made for some learning points that were just as good when the right questions were asked.

soooo … any chance we can go back to article discussion or is it still just up to a member starting a thread if they have an interest in doing so, and then hopefully other members with similar interests will find that thread in the correct forum so as there not to be multiple threads on the same article?

Also, what are the chances of the authors being aware of member made threads regarding their articles?

Why does it have to be one or the other?

Do the authors actually prefer LiveSpill?

I started a thread about this mostly just asking for the addition of the “Discuss” link at the end of the article.

Maybe it could even be a button for a member to create a thread of they have an interest if not a T-Nation sponsored “Discuss” thread.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
it’s basically what Vbulletins have been for years, real live time posts w/o moderation (or so it seems). Why they don’t just use that is beyond me[/quote]

The stock answer to this has always been “the current format gives us the features we want” or something along those lines. “Features” must mean security or moderation ability or something else dealing with site admin, because it sure as hell isn’t end-user friendly.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
it’s basically what Vbulletins have been for years, real live time posts w/o moderation (or so it seems). Why they don’t just use that is beyond me[/quote]

The stock answer to this has always been “the current format gives us the features we want” or something along those lines. “Features” must mean security or moderation ability or something else dealing with site admin, because it sure as hell isn’t end-user friendly.[/quote]

I get what you are saying. It must suit the site.

I was just interested in knowing if the authors had an opinion.

I also wonder if there has been many member created threads regarding the articles. I used to enjoy reading the threads after the articles.

Is there even an “ARTICLES” forum anymore? I don’t see it in the list of forums.

Now… that seems crazy.

Do they really not want any threads about articles?

Do folks PM the authors with their threads, or just give them a link in LiveSpill?

Can you archive LiveSpill discussions?

So if a year from now if I want to read the questions and responses to the article, can I look in the archive for that information?

I’ve talked to two authors from this site personally, and both of them have lamented the new LiveSpill discussions, echoing the jist of what is being said in this thread: it really dumbs down the ensuing discussions…

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
I’ve talked to two authors from this site personally, and both of them have lamented the new LiveSpill discussions, echoing the jist of what is being said in this thread: it really dumbs down the ensuing discussions…[/quote]

Wow… that sucks.

You would think then things would change.

There isn’t even an articles forum anymore.

Maybe there won’t be anymore article. Maybe this will just be a store with training logs.

I agree - the LiveSpill sucks - totally. I don’t even bother reading it because it’s just a big fucking mess.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

Can you archive LiveSpill discussions?

So if a year from now if I want to read the questions and responses to the article, can I look in the archive for that information?[/quote]

Yes:

http://www.t-nation.com/strength-training-groups/article-comments

I will say this much:

At this point there is no plan to go back to forum discussions for articles. But, as mentioned you are more than welcome to start your own topics on them in the appropriate forum.

Also, keep in mind that this is barely version 1. Many changes and improvements are on the way. And we are taking your requests here into consideration as we make these changes.

Part of me thinks you should have a democratic system that allows voting on a question to be answered, i.e. majority votes for question B means question B gets asked.

However, this would mean individual questions might not get answered.

You need to NOT reinvent the wheel (I hate that fucking term) and find a site/system that does this BEST, and just implement it.

Sounds like the powers that be are hell bent on making LiveSpill work, despite the fact that it clearly sucks and no one likes it. I also find myself reading articles less due to my inability to follow what’s going on with the new format.