T Nation

To Shave or Not to Shave...

[quote]swivel wrote:
i shaved my head for about a month. i liked it but i stopped 'cause i couldn’t frickn sleep. my head would sweat and stick like velcro wherever it hit the pillow. [/quote]

That’s weird.

One tricky question…what is the optimal head shape to look good while going shaved?

My head doesn’t appear any squarish when I put on a beanie…it’s round like a basket ball. Any ways…I always though that the way to determine head shape was to put on a beanie right after a cut.

[quote]skullcowboy wrote:
One tricky question…what is the optimal head shape to look good while going shaved?

My head doesn’t appear any squarish when I put on a beanie…it’s round like a basket ball. Any ways…I always though that the way to determine head shape was to put on a beanie right after a cut.[/quote]

Have you ever seen anyone with a shaved head? Micheal Jordan is probably the most famous bald person on the planet. I would assume that most would consider the shape of his head ideal. If your head isn’t round and symmetrical, ie. lumps, knots, weird shapes, or your initials and/or the numbers “666” etched into it as a birthmark, then you may want to consider avoiding the razor blades.

Hmmm…one pic of me. Honestly I don’t see the purpose of blocking the face thou…I’m not as good looking as SouthernGirl!

BTW…since I exposed my face anyways, it’s shame I don’t have a pic for the pic forum.

Any suggestions? blade or no blade?

[quote]skullcowboy wrote:
Hmmm…one pic of me. Honestly I don’t see the purpose of blocking the face thou…I’m not as good looking as SouthernGirl!

BTW…since I exposed my face anyways, it’s shame I don’t have a pic for the pic forum.

Any suggestions? blade or no blade?[/quote]

That depends on if you will be playing the bongos while making that face any time in the future. For some reason, all I’m thinking is, “Day-O, me say Day, me say day, me Daaaaay-OOO”. Then again, you are probably too young to know who I’m talking about outside of that Beetlejuice movie.

Dude, it has to be your choice. I have no clue what you would look like with your head shaved, and to tell the truth, I think you need to be asking a girl this…after you shave it. They will ultimately be the ones to validate the look. No one knows what anyone will look like before they shave. I looked completely different with hair. If I grew it back, I could change my identity.

I’m 46 and I’ve shaved my head for about 10 years now. My wife didn’t like it too much at first but now she loves. BTW: I’m not bald but my hair line is receding (that’s my story and I’m sticking to it!)

Carlsbad

Ok prof x…got it.
This pic was from a gig from a friend…my first time as a “live” musician.

I’ll do the cut after I begin living by myself…I still got someone to cut my hair. I still not “certified” to be in this board…I’ll razor my head when I get to the US.

Three Words:

Death Before Combover.

[quote]deanosumo wrote:
Cry, and then shave your balding head bald, dude.[/quote]

Touche dude. Nice comeback in a different thread.

Thanks for your input. Everyone else has pretty much confirmed my gut feelings about this, yet the wife has told be not to. I think I’ll go with a 1/4" buzz for now, then shave as it keeps going.

Someone sent this to me at work, you may want to try it.

F-n Rolling laughing dude…

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
deanosumo wrote:
Cry, and then shave your balding head bald, dude.

Touche dude. Nice comeback in a different thread.

Thanks for your input. Everyone else has pretty much confirmed my gut feelings about this, yet the wife has told be not to. I think I’ll go with a 1/4" buzz for now, then shave as it keeps going.

[/quote]

Do it in degrees then. Ease her into it. She’ll learn to love it.

Hey all. Nice to meet ya, so to speak. This is my first post to the forums, though I am a long time T-reader.

I have been shaving my head for 10 years. I went from long hair past my shoulders, to shaving all but the middle strip for a really long mohawk (dyed green for St. Paddy’s Day), and then totally bald in 1995. It rocks. I am now 36 and was just accosted the other day by some high school girl who just had to touch my head. Same type of thing has happened at concerts, sometimes even pissing off the girl’s date as she rubs my head. My wife is usually cool about it too. If your head isn’t shaped funny, you should give it a try.

And if a wife/girlfriend doesn’t want you to do it, tell her that you will just have to pick her next hairdo for her. And maybe her clothes too :slight_smile:

Newbie here. I will just say that when I was losing my hair I was in shock and a bit depressed. However four years ago, I took the plunge and started buzzing it with electric clippers and I shave my head clean in the summer. I haven’t looked back. To be honest, I think I look better and I’m more confident. Since I lift, my size and a buzz cut suggests that I’m not to be messed with, so that was an added plus. (Intimidation.) I just say get it over with. Don’t use rogaine or any of that other stuff, it’s just not worth it.

Bishop

To shave or not to shave…too much time on your hands! I’m 42, been going bald since 18 and what could be worse? Having a head shaped like the ALIEN creature, big dip in the center. Oh yea, my head is oversized too! Never been a problem, you just learn to spot and avoid the bald guy cullers from an early age. Life is good.

Theo

Only one way to find out. Have it shaved real short, and then decide…

Do I keep it short so it doesnt look too bad, or do I completely shave and risk looking like a cone-head?

Completely up to you. It’ll grow back in no time if you dont like the shaved look, anyway.

If you are big go for it.

Shave it! Chicks love it! Plus no bed hair :wink:

I have always lived by the theory that ‘the more hair I lose the more head I get’.

Need I say I shave :slight_smile:

edit: and to let you into a secret:

http://headblade.com/

How about some progress pics?