T Nation

To Shave or Not to Shave...

Alright …Male Pattern Baldness…mild but getting very thin in the upper Horseshoe with the front patch fuller than the horseshoe.

F-k… I know the time is near. When did any of you decide to go shaved head, any what made you say it’s time???

Questions:
1 How did your woman/wife react or like it?
2 How long did it take to get used to it.

Dammit, 59 nviews…no reply…stats say men keep hair 59 to 1. BULLSHIT.

You probably aren’t getting much action on this thread since the topic was pretty much covered recently…

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=586660

I’m not 35. I also don’t have male pattern baldness as far as I can tell. I have, however, been shaving my head since my sophomore year in college. It has more to do with how your head is shaped and your overall look than whether you are simply going bald. There are literally some guys whose heads are just shaped bad. They would probably look better trying to hold onto their hair. From my experience, if you are younger, shaving your head makes you look a little older (more mature). If you are older, it makes you look younger.

I shave my head because it feels good, takes no more prep time than shaving in the shower, and it has an overall clean look to it if you keep it close. I think it is also a little intimidating if you are carrying a decent amount of muscle. For some reason, I think people equate someone who shaves their head with being “rough”.

I do know that if I was married, how my wife would take it would not be my only reason for doing it.

Cry, and then shave your balding head bald, dude.

I shaved my head for a long time just for cleanliness. There was a lot of dust on my lob. Anyways, I got a realy good response from most people, particularly girls. A few people were put off by it but I chalk that up to being their problem.
Give it a shot. If it doesn’t work for you, just let it come back.

[quote]deanosumo wrote:
Cry, and then shave your balding head bald, dude.[/quote]

I know what you mean, but I don’t think anyone cries the first time they shave their head. It is kind of like getting a tattoo for the first time. You have to be psyched to do it, especially if you shave it yourself.

You also have to be ready to get some sun on your head or else it is pretty clear that you JUST shaved it.

Yeah some dudes look great with shaved heads. I have a few friends with shaved heads and there are chicks out there who LOVE it. They run up and rub their heads, they find it sexy.

Other people don’t pull it off quite as well.

If you do shave, head straight to the tanning both for a couple of days.

[quote]John K wrote:
Yeah some dudes look great with shaved heads. I have a few friends with shaved heads and there are chicks out there who LOVE it. They run up and rub their heads, they find it sexy.

[/quote]

I have this happen to me often. Then they ask to touch the guns or chest. Life is tough…

[quote]Professor X wrote:
deanosumo wrote:
Cry, and then shave your balding head bald, dude.

I know what you mean, but I don’t think anyone cries the first time they shave their head. It is kind of like getting a tattoo for the first time. You have to be psyched to do it, especially if you shave it yourself.

You also have to be ready to get some sun on your head or else it is pretty clear that you JUST shaved it.[/quote]

I’ve been shaving mine for the best part of a decade, and only the first time was it a tough thing to do. It becomes second nature.

I am lucky to have a good shape to my head, though I am envious of black guys in this respect- definitely the darker the hue of your skin, the better a shaved head looks.

shave

I knew it was time to shave when my bangs were sprouting way above my forehead. My hairline was receding fast and the top was thinning. I’m 28 and was a little upset to lose my hair so young, but my wife loves it and my friends say they it looks really good this way. It does bring out your build some.

If I bring up the idea of shaving my head, my wife threatens me. Then again I have all my hair, and while my goatee has some gray in it, my hair still has its full color.

If I started to lose my hair, (something I don’t expect until my 60’s) then I will think of taking Proscar. (Split into fifths.)

Now I know a guy who uses some sort of cream on his head, and as long as he scrapes it off once every other week, he stays bald.

Rockscar,
I’m 35 and have been shaving my head for years now.
I look back at pictures of me in my early twentys and see my “business” hair cut and how thin I was on top. DeNile is not just a river in Egypt.
I went to a buzz cut then a shorter buzz cut then supershort buzz cut. Finally, I just shaved it off. My wife loved my buzz cut and loves my shaved head.
Words of warning! If you don’t have the size then don’t try it.
There is no way I could have shaved my head when I was in my twentys.
Don’t be one of those people that you look at with pity and think “why would you do that!!!”

If you have a good-shaped head, shave it!!! It’ll be the best thing you ever did.

Looks better and you can do it yourself and save money. And most women love it!

What if you have a head that kind of comes to a point on top and you might go bald? Still shave?

Like a conehead?

Worked for them!!!

[quote]NateN wrote:
What if you have a head that kind of comes to a point on top and you might go bald? Still shave?[/quote]

You can dress in all black and write Eraser-Mate on your chest for Holloween.

Does that help?

Now we just need to cover the other 364 days. . .

[quote]Professor X wrote:
NateN wrote:
What if you have a head that kind of comes to a point on top and you might go bald? Still shave?

You can dress in all black and write Eraser-Mate on your chest for Holloween.

Does that help?[/quote]

i shaved my head for about a month. i liked it but i stopped 'cause i couldn’t frickn sleep. my head would sweat and stick like velcro wherever it hit the pillow.