T Nation

To Rush or Not to Rush?

College boy dilemma time! Oh goody! I can feel you guys just shivering in anticipation of giving yet another misguided soul advice.

-_-

Yeah… I don’t know whether or not to rush/join a Fraternity.

Here’s what I have so far:

The pros
+Rush week is free booze and strippers.
+Being in a frat gives me automatic friends and a social circle
+Helps me figure out where I’m gonna live next year.
+Greek life is EVERYTHING at Cornell, to the point where the rest of the schools social scene suffers horribly.
+Much easier to meet girls at Frat mixers than in my 800+ person classes.
+Getting to know upperclassmen who can help me with what classes to take/getting alcohol :stuck_out_tongue:

The cons
-I’d have to end my vacation early to get back for rush week.
-My basically only friend up here is NOT planning on joining a frat, though he has talked a lot about transferring.
-Frat parties (as a Freshmen that’s all I go to) suck balls.
-The people I like rarely coincide here with the drugs I like. The decent people are all too decent (no weed) and the the people who ARE alcohol and bud friendly tend to be complete jackasses (stereotypical frat guys).
-My experience with frats so far is negative. I’ve yet to meet one that was both outgoing AND not filled with self entitled douchebags (we have those guys packed into every damn nook and cranny up here).
-They cost money to be in them.
-I despise Halo3… the rumors about it being a frat game are BEYOND true <_<

I tend to like having a group of close friends, something I don’t think I’m not sure if I’m gonna find in a fraternity. I feel like people don’t join to make friends, they join WITH friends =/ .

So, what do you guys think? Anyone have a good/bad experience with fraternity livin’?

Although there are some exceptions to the rule, my experience is that most frats/frat guys are lame. If you are looking for booze, good times, and general shenanigans I would check out your school’s rugby team. No elephant walks, good way to stay in shape, and chicks dig rugby players.

Dude, there ARE exceptions. First, I’ve known at least two frats where the overwhelming majority of the guys were pretty cool. Get 30 dudes around and you’re bound to meet some douchebags, no matter where you go. Also, you can always join a fraternity in league with your major, which means meeting people AND keeping your shit up in school.

It definitely depends on the school. At some schools, I think I would have definitely rushed/pledged simply because the non-Greek social scene is virtually nonexistent. I don’t know how it is at Cornell so you’d be a better judge of that.

Here at UT (University of Texas), frat parties are pretty fun I guess… they def. don’t suck like what you said about the ones there. A lot of beer pong… which is lame. I personally like dancing, loud music, whatever.

Anyways, I rushed and got bids from several frats but at the end of a couple weeks of partying, decided I was gonna go it alone and not pay a SHITLOAD of fucking money to be able to party and have my friends picked for me.

It’s like being single; it has its ups and downs. Good luck.

[quote]Tstud_9 wrote:
Although there are some exceptions to the rule, my experience is that most frats/frat guys are lame. If you are looking for booze, good times, and general shenanigans I would check out your school’s rugby team. No elephant walks, good way to stay in shape, and chicks dig rugby players.[/quote]

agree

Considered rugby, don’t have the endurance for it. At all.

Plus, the Cornell team is really, really good. I, obviously, am not <_<

As for the social scene outside of Greek life… it’s basically non-existent. It exists, but only in private parties, and I don’t exactly have a big group of friends. And once you’re no longer a freshman you can’t even really go to Frat parties (they stop you at the door, they let freshmen guys go in for recruitment purposes).

The only frat I’ve talked to so far that had decent guys was the Jewish (ethnic) frat. No offense to them though, they’re not really… fun. Their last party kind of sucked. Good alcohol and all, but it was just really tame.

Bleh.

I really don’t WANT to rush, to be honest. I have no real motivation to join a frat. However, I’m starting to run out of social-options. People outside of greek life usually have their own big group of friends… which I don’t have. I’d really like to have a social life next year =/

At first, I’d have pointed you in the direction of joining a frat for the titties and beer. But if Rugby’s on the table, do Rugby.

EDIT: Since Rugby’s not on the table, I guess that somewhat limits your options. It sounds like you don’t want to join a frat, but you’re more concerned about being left friendless and alone for the next three years. And while I’m not familiar with Cornell’s social scene, that’s probably not a realistic fear.

Give it a shot. It doesn’t mean you have to join a fraternity.

I didn’t. My brother did and I hung out w/ him and some of the frat guys on occasion. They were a bunch of dorks to be honest. There were a couple really stand up guys in the house, but the rest were kind of just average dudes. Some of the guys I met at other frats were stereotypical frat guys, but it isn’t the law.

Even if you don’t join a frat, you will meet some people rushing who might join other frats or not join any. It is a good way to expand your social circle and meet people that might end up being good friends for the rest of your life, even if you don’t end up joining.

It seems like your options are rather small, so outside of doing other clubs/intramurals/sports, I would give it a shot. It might turn out good or bad, but at least you won’t regret not at least looking into it if you end up bored with nobody to hang out with when it seems like everybody else getting drunk, laid, and having a good time.

[quote]Otep wrote:
At first, I’d have pointed you in the direction of joining a frat for the titties and beer. But if Rugby’s on the table, do Rugby.

EDIT: Since Rugby’s not on the table, I guess that somewhat limits your options. It sounds like you don’t want to join a frat, but you’re more concerned about being left friendless and alone for the next three years. And while I’m not familiar with Cornell’s social scene, that’s probably not a realistic fear.[/quote]

I’m basically friendless and along right NOW… so… yeah.

I’d seriously considering training up and going for rugby, but our team is too freakin’ good <_<. My RA came from South Africa to play on the team.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Considered rugby, don’t have the endurance for it. At all.

Plus, the Cornell team is really, really good. I, obviously, am not <_<
…[/quote]

Get fit.

We used to whip them 20 years ago.

[quote]theuofh wrote:
Give it a shot. It doesn’t mean you have to join a fraternity.

[/quote]

Exactly. You might not even get a bid. Do the rush, see if you like the guys, and join if you really want to.

One of my biggest regrets about undergrad is that I did not at least check out the greek life scene. I did join a music oriented frat (professional fraternity, Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia) and it was an awesome group of guys.

Beowulf, I would not limit yourself and assume you cannot play without trying it out first. Schools with a lot of funding have the ability to recruit from overseas, but this does not mean you would not be able to play. The only way to find out is to give it a shot and see how you fare, endurance, etc. will come in time. As far as your team being too good, even the top 25 collegiate teams in the nation have many players who never played before college. As Cornell is not a top 25 team I would say give it a shot.

I don’t mean to push you towards something you don’t want to do, but I was in a somewhat similar boat as a freshman. I had never played a contact sport in high school, came out for rugby and I believe it was one of the best decisions I’ve made to date. My advice is go to a few practices, if its not for you, you’ve lost nothing.

Beowulf, I would not limit yourself and assume you cannot play without trying it out first. Schools with a lot of funding have the ability to recruit from overseas, but this does not mean you would not be able to play. The only way to find out is to give it a shot and see how you fare, endurance, etc. will come in time. As far as your team being too good, even the top 25 collegiate teams in the nation have many players who never played before college. As Cornell is not a top 25 team I would say give it a shot.

I don’t mean to push you towards something you don’t want to do, but I was in a somewhat similar boat as a freshman. I had never played a contact sport in high school, came out for rugby and I believe it was one of the best decisions I’ve made to date. My advice is go to a few practices, if its not for you, you’ve lost nothing.

Hey zap, where did you play / if you still play where do you play?

[quote]Tstud_9 wrote:
Hey zap, where did you play / if you still play where do you play?[/quote]

I played for Clarkson 20 years ago and quit playing 5 years ago (Harrisburg).

Where are you?

Edit: More than 20 years ago. Now I feel old.

I play for Millersville University, out in Lancaster. Playing vs alumni every spring has given me a respect for you so called ‘old’ guys.

Dude if the greek life is everything at cornell then i would say to DEFINITLY join a fraternity. I go to FSU and if i werent in a fraternity i would just be completly bored with myself and not know nearly as many people i know now. Plus you meet A LOT of sorority girls that you would otherwise not meet if you werent in a fraternity. Its definitly a lot of fun and a really good experience.

[quote]Tstud_9 wrote:
I play for Millersville University, out in Lancaster. Playing vs alumni every spring has given me a respect for you so called ‘old’ guys.[/quote]

My wife took a few classes at Millersville.