To Much Tuck?

Hey just wanted a quick input on whether I have to much tuck when I squat. This is only the third time squatting since my shoulder has allowed me to do it pain free. Still building up the flexibility again in the hamstrings and groin but I feel like I’m getting back to it. Any tips be appreciated. Sorry about the quality my friend texted me the video then I uploaded. I can try and get him to upload it and it shoulder be better.

Everyone has different body mechanics but I do think you lean forward too much. Note how your elbows are flared out behind you. I used to do this as well. Rotate them inwards towards the front of your body and maintain that position as you squat. This will force you to keep much more upright and will can potentially prevent you from injury.

Now having your elbows flared out behind does not mean you can’t squat more upright but I noticed when I rotated them forward I was more conscious of my forward lean and adjusted to correct it. So it is good practice until you are very comfortable squatting. But don’t take my word for it. There are a plethora of youtube videos from highly respected coaches from all sorts of disciplines that can easily show you how to properly squat.

I wouldn’t be so concerned about a tuck as much as how far you’re leaning forward. Like mentioned above, you’re elbows are pointing too far back. Then your head is down from the beginning, your back should be tighter and your hips are going back & up out of the hole. The bar position is like a low bar squat, but you’re feet are between a low bar and a high bar.

I’m going to recommend looking up a few things. Look for the EliteFTS video “So you think you can squat” and then check out Chad Smith’s YouTube channel, which is the channel used by JTSStrength. Chad Smith and Brandon Lilly and some videos on there that have a lot of great information. They will also say it better than I’ll be able to on here.

Thanks for the responses. When I widen out my stance it will also help keep me more upright if I’m not mistaken as well? And im guessing thorasic extension as well will help this?

I do not think you need to widen your stance up anymore. It looks wide enough to me. Unless you are going for strength and believe you can move more weight. But I feel that is further down the road. For now work on ingraining proper movement patters and increasing flexibility. I am betting your mobility is fine and if you just rotate your arms forward and make a conscious attempt to maintain a more upright position you will squat with flawless form.

[quote]cdvan wrote:
Thanks for the responses. When I widen out my stance it will also help keep me more upright if I’m not mistaken as well? And im guessing thorasic extension as well will help this?[/quote]

A squat can be done upright both with a wider and narrower stance when done properly. Widening your stance may make a difference for you, however it may not. The main thing is to keep your form consistant for either high or low bar form. Don’t mix the two together. If you’re going to do a low bar squat, then go wider and push those knees out.

It may be beneficial to do some front squats as assistance work. It can help keep you upright and strengthen your back more. Although you’ll probably notice more of the cross-over if you do high bar squats.