To 'Lose Fat and Gain Muscle'

You know, this is a great thread. I finally GET it. Regardless of weight…if I put on a disproportionate muscle to fat…even though I may have more ‘fat’ overall, my % has dropped…and I’ll look better.

GOTCHA!

[quote]evilachilles9 wrote:
Miley is gorgeous and not even 16, cant wait til’ shes 18…[/quote]

Yeah, I can’t either… this is assuming she likes fat losers

Hey BRock.

Ok, building muscle while losing fat is doable but difficult. It takes roughly 2500 kcals to build a lb of muscle. That energy can come from either the diet or from fat stores. Individuals that are fat can quite easily restrict their caloric intake and gain muscle. Lean individuals have quite a bit more difficulty attempting to do the same thing.

I have been big and fairly strong(260lb), and then dieted down to (190 Avatar Pic). I have since gone through another “bulk” and “cut”. Since then I have decided to play with my diet in hopes of gaining muscle while losing fat.

It has been a couple of months and I am easily as lean as I was at my lightest but I have gained about 4-6lbs of LBM.

In a nutshell I have been consuming a small deficit of calories on non training days while trying to eat at maintenance or a very tiny surplus on training days. I have increased my carbohydrate intake to almost a third of my caloric intake. Low carbing it didn’t produce any results in the beginning. I am getting at least a g/lb of protein. I also have Surge + a boatload of BCAAs peri-workout.

I also am using an upper/lower training split with 4-5 sessions per week.

I believe that it is doable and is currently my preferred way of training.

Lee “Zagman”:

Your one of the people that isn’t “typical”

Lol

You have alot of experience and are incredibly smart and are going to school for something along the lines of nutrition (right?).

It doesn’t surprise me that your making the gains you are. Keep up the good work man!

This was meant for the “average kid” who wants the best of both worlds and ends up struggling for 4 years and doesn’t know WTF is up.

~B Rock

sPeling rocQs !

Lose fat.

Not loose fat.

Damn beginners.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
Lee “Zagman”:

Your one of the people that isn’t “typical”

Lol

You have alot of experience and are incredibly smart and are going to school for something along the lines of nutrition (right?).

It doesn’t surprise me that your making the gains you are. Keep up the good work man!

This was meant for the “average kid” who wants the best of both worlds and ends up struggling for 4 years and doesn’t know WTF is up.

~B Rock[/quote]

I am a health promotion and wellness major with dual minors in strength and conditioning and nutrition. And, I take my NSCA-CPT in just over two weeks.

Friggin sweet man; good work.

THAT is why this thread is not directed at you haha, you know too much!

But you seem not to know much about Miley and Hanna Hmm…

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Lose fat.

Not loose fat.

Damn beginners.[/quote]

I dunno, my fat seems pretty loose, it keeps jiggling when I laugh.

Bumped for n00bs to re-re-read.

Do I really have to choose one? Fuck, man! I don’t know! Cyrus! No, hannah!
Goddamnit! Why would you do this to me?

Yeah, as a beginner, my primary focus was to lose weight.

Quickly researched, I discovered that the only real way to do that is to get on a proper diet (not the fucking 4 week kind, the people that develop the lose weight quick schemes should be sued), and build lean mass.

The weight is off. The strength went up.

However,

Even if the strength didn’t go up, I learned ethic, proper form, and built a decent foundation of lean mass. I also felt FANTASTIC about seing my dick again. This cannot be understated.

The more lean mass, the more calories are burned though muscle (obviously). I planned on strength/bulking from day 1, I just understood my body was in no way ready to do that. 8-9 months later, I am just starting to ramp up calories.

Sure, I could be benching 30-60 lbs more, but I would still be chunky. Fuck that.

Being fat sucks. I mean, it really limits a lot of aspects in your life. I would always recommend to people that have no prior weight training experience to prioritize weight loss. Worry about bulking later. You’ll need the 3-10 months developing a proper diet, routine, correct form, mindset, and education anyway. You WILL build lean mass, and you WILL lose weight.

TL:DR?

Fat people want to lose weight. It is a stronger urge than muscle in the beginning. Feed off of that motivation. Get results, but do it in the gym. Use the momentum to start packing on the lean mass.

Great thread btw.

Bump for all the “New Years Resolution” people…

Forget Miley or Hannah. Vanessa Hudgens is already 19 or 20:

See, I think it is important to understand why people fall off the wagon, beyond the “this isn’t for everyone!” analysis.

They fall off the wagon because it is a change in LIFESTYLE, and many times you have to trust the numbers and your gut (no pun).

For the people that are frustrated, the proper carrot to dangle in front of them is a visual reward, and between l-o-s-i-n-g fat and gaining muscle, fat loss is a quicker endeavor and therefore more psychologically rewarding, which is assurance that longer-term adherence to this new lifestyle can bring about profound changes.

I really want to see a write up or at least research that takes a look at weight set points, i.e. how long before the body adjusts to a new weight? I personally think 8 weeks is a good median timeframe for that adjustment (a good amount of time to spend in maintenance mode), but I am not sure. I need to experiment myself.

I previously had a really detailed plan - nutrition, exercise - that included maintenance breaks but have abandoned that for now in favor of just bulking and lifting as much as possible and using cardio + carb cutoffs to keep fat in check. I am sure I’ll see good results no matter what I do because I am still new to all this.

I too used about 8weeks as a timeframe to maintain. I did 6 once but then noticed a bit too much (IMO) fat gain.

I started “bulking” last january 2008 and have bulk/maintained since then. I’ll be stopping at the end of feb 2009 an should have gained 35-40lbs total. (175-210 or more)

Love handles just in time for Valentine’s Day, eh? Fatty!

So, you are saying that 8 weeks was better for you than 6? Was the 6 week period after a bulking or cutting phase (I take it cutting) ?

When I lifted weights in my early twenties, I ate at taco bell and McDonalds. I gained muscle pretty fast.

Now that I’m in my 40’s, I have to be much more careful with my diet and the gains are much slower.

I think you have to choose on or the other when you get in your 40’s.

Ok, for the sake of discussion(and helping me out :D), what would happen if a chunky person with little to no training experience ate at maintenance and started lifting. So the weight doesn’t move up nor down, but you would think that the stress you put on the body, from lifting heavy, would stimulate some mucle growth even though your not eating over maintenance?

So if muscle mass goes up, something else has to go down if you eat at maintenance, and that would be fat. Would be great anyway :smiley:

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
Love handles just in time for Valentine’s Day, eh? Fatty!

So, you are saying that 8 weeks was better for you than 6? Was the 6 week period after a bulking or cutting phase (I take it cutting) ?[/quote]

Yeah it was after cutting.

I would assume it should be kept similar for either cutting or bulking. Mainly because I would think my body would see either as a change or a period to adapt/catch up.