To Fruit Or Not To Fruit?

holy CRAP! La Royal, your post didn’t show up this morning. Gonna read it now and get back to you, seems like there’s a lot of good info there.

[quote]dlonra wrote:
and another thing. before fructose is converted to fat in the liver, the liver replenishes its glycogen stores. only then will it convert the excess fructose to fat. the fructose in actual fruit is so minimal, the amount of fat if any that would be produced would not be enough to case significant weight gain, unless the person ate say 20 apples a day above their recommended cal intake.

laroyals paranoia about fat production from fructose is borderline anorexic… your blinding yourself with science, take a step back and look at the broader picture dude.[/quote]

First of all I said I would keep fructose to about 20grams, second I am pro-vegtable, third I point out fruit for general health is ok but, sub par for bodybuilders. As for borderline anorexic, I am 5’6" 195 @8% today what are your stats? Really, read before you respond!!

[quote]laroyal wrote:
I would keep fructose to about 20grams[/quote]

Sounds about right. I dropped mine down to ~15g/day total and noticed a change within two weeks. Keep in mind that regular table sugar is about 50% fructose.

[quote]synthetic wrote:
I remember reading the Atkins diet book, and when he got to the point of saying to avoid fruit is when I checked out. Any diet that tells you to avoid fruits and vegetables has gotta raise eyebrows…

All things in moderation, of course. And if you’re trying to get under 30 carbs a day, fruit won’t help with that.
[/quote]

Little late to this and on the whole I agree but…

The Atkins diet was originally designed for diabetics hence the avoiding fruit section.

I love to eat fruit but now sadly have to avoid most types except in very small quantities unless I want large hyperglycemic blood glucose spikes (not good at all in the long run for diabetics).

I even get quite a spike when eating blueberries which are low GI.

A useful thing to note about glucose/insulin spikes even in none diabetics is that it can be combated to quite a large degree by consuming vinegar (any sort) with your meal (either cooked in to your food or taken in water before hand.

/hijack.

I am glad most of the guys here talking about the evils of fruit didn’t raise me. Jesus.

Laroyal, you are, once again, the man.

I’m going to try and eat fruit in the morning upon waking up, and/or pre-workout. Doesn’t mean I’ll stop eating fruit or anything, just gonna eat them at more appropriate times.

The reason I asked about this in the first place is, it seems I’ve gained a little too much fat on my bulk so far. Nothing crazy, but hey, better get it under control now.

[quote]G87 wrote:
Laroyal, you are, once again, the man.

I’m going to try and eat fruit in the morning upon waking up, and/or pre-workout. Doesn’t mean I’ll stop eating fruit or anything, just gonna eat them at more appropriate times.

The reason I asked about this in the first place is, it seems I’ve gained a little too much fat on my bulk so far. Nothing crazy, but hey, better get it under control now. [/quote]

Thank you and happy to offer help where I can. Good luck on your bulk and keep us posted on your progress.