To Failure or Not?

I know there are a lot of different ways to reach ones goals, but I am confused with this aspect of training. I am purely interested in looking good nekkid keep in mind. I do an upper/lower split mon tues and thurs fri. Concentrating on lower reps on mon and tues and higher reps on thurs and fri.

I do about two exercises per muscle group each day and keep the volume around 24-30 (8x3, 4x6, 3x8, etc) for each exercise. I change reps each week and unload a little every fourth week. I currently do not go till failure.

Should I perhaps make my last set of each exercise go till I can’t lift anymore? Any other opinions are welcome as I am just starting to get serious about finding a routine that works for me.

I go to failure about once a week or 2 weeks.

I increase resistance time by doing my reps 4 seconds down and 2 up…or 4 seconds on the resistance part of the motion. Do this to failure for at least 1 set.

Again, cycle it in the process, going to failure all the time is not the best way to go.

i figured it wasn’t a thing most people preached was always necessary, but i wasn’t sure if anyone had any opinions on both ends of the spectrum.

No. 85%-90% max. For every set.

Your muscles can take 100% but your nervous system cannot long term.

Yes, seems to be working for me regardless of what scientific data, research and other people’s opinions you show me.

A

Most studies find that taking ONE set to failure is optimal.

But who gives a shit?

You didn’t mention your goals? Bodybuilder? Athlete?

So wait, my training methods actually are confirmed by studies? The way I lift is to work my way up to my max weight I can move for 5-8 reps. I take that set to failure on all my bread and butter excercises.

[quote]Brendan Ryan wrote:
Most studies find that taking ONE set to failure is optimal.

But who gives a shit?

You didn’t mention your goals? Bodybuilder? Athlete?[/quote]

On the last set, I take it just short of failure, or basically the point at which I can remove or drop the weight without it actually falling down due to that muscle failure. I do not take it to the point that I lose control of the weight. That would be begging for an injury, especially for those who actually plan on lifting beyond Spring Break.

Agreed, same here.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
On the last set, I take it just short of failure, or basically the point at which I can remove or drop the weight without it actually falling down due to that muscle failure. I do not take it to the point that I lose control of the weight. That would be begging for an injury, especially for those who actually plan on lifting beyond Spring Break.[/quote]

I did mention my goals were purely for looks. Thanks to everyone who responded. I think I’ll continue lifting short of failure for now.

everyone is different, one upper day i would go to failure and the other day 2 reps short of failure, same for legs