T Nation

To Experienced Fighters

I was talking with a couple of people yesterday and the topic of fights came up. We were talking about what would be the ultimate punch if you were fighting a bigger guy, or were out numbered.

Basically we came up with either the throat, or go for a broken nose.

So out of curtiosity which do you think it would be, or would it be something totally different?

[quote]BlakedaMan wrote:
I was talking with a couple of people yesterday and the topic of fights came up. We were talking about what would be the ultimate punch if you were fighting a bigger guy, or were out numbered.

Basically we came up with either the throat, or go for a broken nose.

So out of curtiosity which do you think it would be, or would it be something totally different?[/quote]

the nuts

swift kick to the balls actually

or if he’s really big see if you can crush his knee/ankle. San Soo/Krav maga style…

If you have to “punch” yea throat.

There’s a reason why the rear naked choke is called the mata leao (lion killer in portugese), throat is a very weak area… so yea if you have to punch go for that throat if its exposed.

Hmmm… the punch I’d want is a knife ‘punching’ through him. I am a practitioner of BJJ, MMA, and Mauy Thai but if you are punching against multiple opponents then you missed the cue to run, or get out a “force multiplier” like a knife.

Get in a friendly fight with just two of your friends and see how it goes. The onyl mob (>1) that can’t take down a single person is a comtose one.

But if I had to say I’d say eye gouge. Not everyone reacts poorly to a kick in the nuts. Even guys on PCP don’t like their eyes getting ripped out. Good for clinch control too if you get your thumb deep enough to use the side of the skull as a hand hold.

Gotta love fight ‘theory’ and fantasy football.

-chris

Anyone who’s been around the block knows that a kick to the nuts is the first thing every guy expects.

If you’re fighting a bigger guy, you just have to depend on skill and ferocity.

If you’re fighting multiples, then you start going for the throat…as long as you realize that it could fucking kill somebody, and you have to be prepared for the consequences of that.

Fighting gets a lot less fun after you’ve been seriously hurt or brought up on charges.

[quote]realpeanutbutter wrote:

But if I had to say I’d say eye gouge. Not everyone reacts poorly to a kick in the nuts. Even guys on PCP don’t like their eyes getting ripped out. Good for clinch control too if you get your thumb deep enough to use the side of the skull as a hand hold.

Gotta love fight ‘theory’ and fantasy football.

-chris[/quote]

I forgot about this- yes the eyes are a very good spot to gouge at.

If there was one punch and more than one guy, the ultimate punch would be the one that spews blood and/or teeth on his buddies, making them realize they don’t want none of this!

I was at a party with a few buddies and the girlfriend of one of my friends started getting into it with another girl. Long story short, the two girls actually started throwing blows and my friend broke up the fight and separated them. That apparently pissed off the other girl’s boyfriend, because he, along with a few of his friends, rushed my friend. Before any of us even knew what was going on, my friend, without hesitation, threw a straight right to the lead guy’s chin, knocking him out cold–he then ran like hell, giving the rest of us enough time to break things up.

Moral of the story: If you are faced with multiple opponents, run! And if you feel the need to fight at all(like my friend), don’t look for some special technique; the chances of missing are too high, and if you miss, you are really fucked. IMHO, hit hard, hit first, and run!

Interesting ideas. However, I don’t really plan on ever stabbing anyone. The eyes one is a good idea though.

Jesus Christ, has anyone here even been in a fight, LOL?

If your facing a single attacker, size up your options. If he has buddies, in a bar, etc, the best way to knock someone out is to hit them square in the jaw. If you learn how to properly punch and how to aim and strike, you can pretty much knock out, or severly render someone senseless, 99 percent of untrained people in a single strike.

If your facing multiple attackers, the best offense to have is a solid 40 yard dash time. Quick agility and an ability to hurdle objects like fences and such also comes in handy.

If your not a quick footed guy, I would suggest carrying a legal weapon, mace/pepper spray is a quick option. I usually never go out to clubs/bars without mine.

This depends on what range you are fighting from. If at kicking range - snap kick to the balls. If at punching range - straight right to the chin. If at horizontal grappling (stand up) range - knee to groin or elbow to jaw. If grappling on ground - eye gouges and/or biting. Quickly follow up if the first shot doesn’t work. Then sand blast his ass getting out of there the first chance you get.

the king of all punches, the one that produces knock-outs faster than any other, the one that shatters jaws, the one that an inexperienced fighter has zero chance of blocking or avoiding : the strong hand uppercut.

Personally I would recommend a swift kick just under the kneecap to dislocate it. (A punch to the face/throat works great but are easy to block.) Easy and the guy is down. If you got several guys against you, follow up with a knee to his face/nose. Creates a messy bloody picture which will stun/slow down the guys which will give you some more time to get away.

Against anybody:
Nothing like a good left hook.

Against more than one attacker:
I’ve had to get my ass kicked by multiple people twice (when I was a little younger and a lot dumber). Sometimes running isn’t an option. In this case, try to stay on your feet, pick one of them out of the crowd, beat the shit outta him for all you’re worth, and be happy you survived.

I think some of you guys need a reality check on some of your suggestions.

Punching to the throat can crush the windpipe, which is a killing technique. Legally you can only do this if your life is in danger.

Mentally you have to be able to overcome your own inhibitions to perform this. When the moment of truth comes not everyone has it in them to kill someone. For that reason it’s not a good idea to rely on that technique as your sole self defense move. Same thing with eye gouges and kicking someones knee out.

All three of those moves give people a motivation for retaliation that will not diminish much over time if at all.

Speaking for myself. If someone beat me up but didn’t do anything that would permanently remind me of it, I would probably forget about it quickly. Gouge an eye out or kick my knee out and you had better go all the way and kill me. I am sure most other people are about the same.

Seriously guys, whatever happened to a good solid ass kicking? Why is that not enough anymore?

Man, these kind of threads are always hilarious.

BTW. The RNC doesn’t attack the throat. It attacks the carotid arteries.

People need to watch less martial arts movies.

Throat death punch… Hilarious.

In a street fight there are three things - in my mind - that matter:

• Physical Strength
  • Aggression
  • Willingness (to hurt the other guy and get hurt yourself)

I’ve been in more than 50 street fights (none in the past 9 years - all before my 27th birthday…oh…and none since I quit drinking and hanging out in bars) and one thing is true for every one of them: If you have a plan you are fucked.

You figure that out in 8th grade when you are fighting after school, right?

A good street fighter does two things: He keeps his head and doesn’t ‘Lose It’ and he reacts to what the other guy is doing.

I’m very heavy handed. So my MO was always to see what he did. Let him expose himself and drill him. Again and again. Another thing: When you put him on the ground, don’t get down there with him. Why? Kick him in the head. Bust up his ribs. Don’t let him back on his feet. When you’ve pounded on him, well…then climb on top and finish him up.

Again. You have to be prepared to hurt a guy. If you aren’t, you’re gonna get hurt badly. I fought a guy once who was pretty well 'roided up. This was a dead sober affair after a football practice. He waited for me. I didn’t want to fight. He slapped me. Still didn’t want to fight. Wanted to keep my job. Finally spit in my face and insulted the girl I was with who’d come to pick me up. When it was over I had him in a head-lock and pleaded for someone to stop it. They did. But in the interim I had busted his jaw, cut him over an eye, gashed up his mouth and knocked out a tooth, broken two ribs. Somehow he also tore his ACL and fractured his arm.

That said, the best option, after you get a little older and understand what happens after this all goes down…is to just no fight. It’s like the forward pass: Three things can happen and two of them are bad.

Against true multiple attackers, armed and looking to really hurt you, not just beat you up there is one system that really works. Sifu Charlie Francis developed it and taught it to many but his best student was Shidoan Ben Johnson. It focuses on a very good start followed by enough conditioning to keep the lead.

[quote]supermonkey wrote:

Throat death punch… Hilarious.[/quote]

Thank you!

I’ve only been in 2 fights, the benefits of being large at a young age I guess.

But fwiw, at a Bas Rutten seminar, I asked him if you can’t get out of a fight with someone, what should you do when they attack you first. This is assuming a bar fight of some type where you’re not going up against a trained opponent.

Like the other poster said, he said to react. When they throw the first punch, his favorite move was to put your head down and purposely intercept their punch with the top of your skull, which is much harder than the bones in your hand and wrist and can easily break.

He continued by saying its never expected, it will hurt them quite a bit, and then you can counter-strike from a distance, bull-rush them and go for headbutt, hook, nuts, whatever, or run away.

( Or, for those of you who have his tapes, you can hit them with a leeeeever shot!)

[quote]Scrappy wrote:
supermonkey wrote:

Throat death punch… Hilarious.

Thank you!
[/quote]