T Nation

To Deload or Not to Deload

:wink:

hey guys I’ve been running a routine for about 3 weeks now and I’m wonder if I should deload. I read that you should deload after 3 weeks of loading. My routine goes as follows

monday - close grip bench 5x5 at 185 , dips 5x5 at bw , second week 35lbs , third wk 40lbs
Wedneday - bench 5x5 at 205
friday - same thing as wednesday

this is how the routine started currently I’m doing 215 5x5 and close grip 5x5 at 195, if I go into another week i’d be doing 200 close grip etc (add 5 lbs on every lift).

I’m already experiencing strength gains estimated 1rm at 265 which I started with 245 etc. let me know what you guys think, just trying to train intelligently here.

Wait, so you just bench three days a week and that’s it?

Do I really need to point out whats wrong here?

[quote]chadochocinco wrote:
:wink:

[/quote]

no no, I have other lifts I do, mainly cleans , overhead squats ,squats and power snatches/cleans maybe once a week. Im currently focusing on my bench, although Im running billstar routine for squats which right about now isn’t tough for me because I start with a current max and I had a higher max previously so I guess my body is adapting quickly. Either way its what I wanted with squats. However my concerns are with the bench.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
Do I really need to point out whats wrong here?

[/quote]

you could’ve done that in that post ;-)… now tell me whats wrong ?

[quote]chadochocinco wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
Do I really need to point out whats wrong here?

you could’ve done that in that post ;-)… now tell me whats wrong ? [/quote]

Dude

"Wait, so you just bench three days a week and that’s it? " :wink:

you could’ve posted your actual program in that post as well.

is it just me or people just want to get their post total up or something,cause thats what it looks like. A rule of thumb, if you’re not contributing to what I ask then stfu is appropriate.

If you are physically or mentally worn out, deload, if not, keep going.

[quote]chadochocinco wrote:
is it just me or people just want to get their post total up or something,cause thats what it looks like. A rule of thumb, if you’re not contributing to what I ask then stfu is appropriate. [/quote]

I dont even know what to say to that. I think everyone should stop posting and let this kid bench 3x a week.

Let’s see, you come here and start a thread asking if you should deload… without posting your full program, without describing how you feel the during the week. You also display an extreme affinity to the “;-)” symbol… troll maybe? not sure.
People point these out to you, and you feel the need to ask them to “stfu”.

Congratulation sir, you are a fucktard. Goodluck I guess.

[quote]rundymc wrote:
Let’s see, you come here and start a thread asking if you should deload… without posting your full program, without describing how you feel the during the week. You also display an extreme affinity to the “;-)” symbol… troll maybe? not sure.
People point these out to you, and you feel the need to ask them to “stfu”.

Congratulation sir, you are a fucktard. Goodluck I guess.[/quote]

congrats on your 168th post

[quote]VikingsAD28 wrote:
If you are physically or mentally worn out, deload, if not, keep going.[/quote]

thank you

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
chadochocinco wrote:
is it just me or people just want to get their post total up or something,cause thats what it looks like. A rule of thumb, if you’re not contributing to what I ask then stfu is appropriate.

I dont even know what to say to that. I think everyone should stop posting and let this kid bench 3x a week.[/quote]

you must be a bb or something cause from I know alot the strength programs utilize 3 days of benching… you might be more clueless than me

For a start, 5/3/1 doesn’t, and neither does Westside. I’m not sure of Sheiko.

[quote]anakayub wrote:
For a start, 5/3/1 doesn’t, and neither does Westside. I’m not sure of Sheiko.[/quote]

those are the exceptions but alot of popular ones do. Sheiko happens to be one of them. Compound lifts 3x a week is nothing new.

[quote]anakayub wrote:
For a start, 5/3/1 doesn’t, and neither does Westside. I’m not sure of Sheiko.[/quote]

sheiko does, and one of the days is a “double day” so really 4 “blocks” of benching

5/3/1 does a deload maybe that’s what you were saying and I missed it but it’s definatly included… I would recommend doing chest 2 days a week one focusing on upper and the other lower then maybe the CG bench and dips in the middle for an arm day… the full routine would have been nice. Deloads are a good thing maybe do it this time or don’t and do it on week eight or however long it takes for your routine to cycle through again.

[quote]Efuchs7 wrote:
5/3/1 does a deload maybe that’s what you were saying and I missed it but it’s definatly included… I would recommend doing chest 2 days a week one focusing on upper and the other lower then maybe the CG bench and dips in the middle for an arm day… the full routine would have been nice. Deloads are a good thing maybe do it this time or don’t and do it on week eight or however long it takes for your routine to cycle through again. [/quote]

yea I think I might continue the routine… It seems I’m gather alot momentum from it. So it might be better to cary it out to week 6 then deload that would put me at 5x5@ 230, it might be downhill from there without a deload. As for the chest stuff, I figured close grip bench would place the pectorials in secondary position and triceps primary, thats why I do the dips on that day, however I think I’ll implement your modification on the second cycle.

It won’t be downhill you’ll come back more refreshed and “ready for more some action” as Duke Nukem would say.