To Deadlift more, don't Deadlift

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:
I only like to deadlift heavy once a month… if that. But you need practice with the lift. I do speed pulls every week with lighter weights and that seems to keep my technique dialed in.[/quote]

I do the same thing, except I will pull heavy once every 3 weeks. Other weeks I squat heavy and do speed pulls for practice.

What did you guys do when your dead was in the 500s?

[quote]spar4tee wrote:
What did you guys do when your dead was in the 500s?[/quote]

Lots of good mornings and lots of glute ham raises. Should have done more abs.

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

Two posts above your question.

[quote]tom63 wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

Two posts above your question.[/quote]
It was an open invitation

I mean that’s basically what I did if I wasn’t clear.

I mean that’s basically what I did if I wasn’t clear.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
I mean that’s basically what I did if I wasn’t clear.[/quote]
Ah now I understand your post. My bad.

[quote]tom63 wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

If referring to my post, that’s what I did all the way through the 500’s, 600’s and still do. I’ve made slight modifications, but the general premise is still there.

[quote]Power GnP wrote:

[quote]tom63 wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

If referring to my post, that’s what I did all the way through the 500’s, 600’s and still do. I’ve made slight modifications, but the general premise is still there.[/quote]

This is going to piss some people off but, I have no idea when my deadlift was in the 500’s. I pulled 620 my first meet. The first time I deadlifted with a straight bar was freshman year of college (about 4 years before the meet) and I couldn’t get 315 off the ground. In that 4 year time frame, all I rememebr is doing lots of squats, cleans, jumps, and sprints for football. I didn’t even train for the meet. I just went and did it.

[quote]Power GnP wrote:

[quote]tom63 wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

If referring to my post, that’s what I did all the way through the 500’s, 600’s and still do. I’ve made slight modifications, but the general premise is still there.[/quote]

This is going to piss some people off but, I have no idea when my deadlift was in the 500’s. I pulled 620 my first meet. The first time I deadlifted with a straight bar was freshman year of college (about 4 years before the meet) and I couldn’t get 315 off the ground. In that 4 year time frame, all I rememebr is doing lots of squats, cleans, jumps, and sprints for football. I didn’t even train for the meet. I just went and did it.[/quote]
Thanks for your input. I always learn something from your posts.

It seems to me that the stronger somebody is, the less frequently they need to deadlift. Somebody who pulls 800 is putting more stress on their body pulling 90% than somebody who pulls 225. I fell into the trap of trying to emulate the biggest and the strongest guys, but their programs made sense for them, not for me. Now I pull heavy way more often, and I’ve been getting better and better at the lift. If I were using any real weight, though, I’m sure that I would be totally fried deadlifting so frequently.

[quote]Power GnP wrote:

[quote]tom63 wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

This is going to piss some people off but, I have no idea when my deadlift was in the 500’s. I pulled 620 my first meet. The first time I deadlifted with a straight bar was freshman year of college (about 4 years before the meet) and I couldn’t get 315 off the ground. In that 4 year time frame, all I rememebr is doing lots of squats, cleans, jumps, and sprints for football. I didn’t even train for the meet. I just went and did it.[/quote]

When did you first start lifting weights? Like how long before the meet? Including the I don’t know what I’m doing and curls for the girls phase if you went through those.

I lift in the 300’s so I cant say anything, but I watched this the other day and think some people will benefit from this.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

[quote]Power GnP wrote:

[quote]tom63 wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

When did you first start lifting weights? Like how long before the meet? Including the I don’t know what I’m doing and curls for the girls phase if you went through those.[/quote]

The first time I walked into a gym was the summer between 8th ans 9th grade. That was 13 years ago and I havent taken more than a week of ever since. I started training just for powerlifting in august 2007? Something like that.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

[quote]Power GnP wrote:

[quote]tom63 wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

When did you first start lifting weights? Like how long before the meet? Including the I don’t know what I’m doing and curls for the girls phase if you went through those.[/quote]

Prior to freshman year of highschool (15 yrs old), so about 8 years at this point. Did my first competition at 18, with about 8 months of solid PL training under my belt and terrible technique. Believe I pulled just under 500 at a light 90kg.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]Nick_Graham wrote:
Nice link posted - recent article as well - dont know how I missed it! Tips from the best deadlifter in the world!

I realise perhaps more records have been set pulling convential style - however for the norm of competitors I see a lot pulling sumo style. Is the sumo style more efficent for the norm of competitors?

Again thanks for the posts. [/quote]

I’ve wondered this myself. You often hear that the biggest dead lifts are conventional. I wonder what the top 50 or 100 are. The biggest are likely due to the fact that the men pulling them are outliers and beasts regardless of the style used.[/quote]

I think the largest pulls are conventional because the guys in the largest weight classes are generally built to suit conventional pulling.[/quote]

The last few days I’ve been watching the live stream of the Worlds Juniors (IPF). Today was the subs in the 83 class so it’s been all the lightest classes so far. From 43kg women to 83kg men the lions share have pulled sumo including a very impressive 195kg pulled hook grip by a 63kg woman. It’ll be interesting to see how that changes as we move into the heavier weight classes over the next couple of days.