T Nation

To Cy

Hey there,

I am pretty sure you didn't address this issue in the past to the angle I am going for, but please excuse me if you did already. I plead ignorance and seeing nothing after a quick search engine check of previous articles.

I am going to go to the doctor to have my current testosterone levels checked to establish a baseline for future reference in case I might need testosterone replacement therapy when I am older.

I was thinking a high normal for a 23 year old individual would be swell. To get the highest possible readings for this, what dietary, supplemental, exercise and other strategies might you use?

I am willing to spend any amount of money and invest much time as this is an important issue. I would appreciate your suggestions.

the MaxX,

Well, if you wanted to get a true baseline, I'd get testosterone measured prior to any supplementation and so forth.

Having said that, John Berardi wrote an article a few years back on this subject, called the "Big T" and I believe this was a two part article.

Hope this helps.

I actually wanted to get an elevated baseline so that I would plunge further by the time I was re-checking the T levels when I am in my 40's so my testosterone replacement therapy might be more "fulfilling." If this is something you would not recommend, please advise me to a more appropriate choice of action.

Also, as you are responding to this post, I will be looking up your suggested reading.

Thank you.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're wanting to elevate endogenous testosterone to a given level, so that you have a figure to shoot for when you're older and using exogenous testosterone? Sorry, I guess I'm not really understanding the question.

Sorry if I was vague; I was simply trying to put it in a way that was not self-incriminating. I was hoping to have my baseline elevated when they are checked by my physician so that I have a recorded high level. This way, when I am older (+/- 20 years) and my testosterone levels fall, my physician will see a more significant change, and thus be more likely to give a strong testosterone replacement therapy.

Hope that clears that up.

No problem. Ok, makes sense now.

Well, I wouldn't really bother doing that. When the time comes and you're seeing such a physician, the dosage adjustment isn't going to be on a wide scale. Some will have a limit that they'll work up to, along the way, having you report subjective feelings/observations. Some will have a set dosage irrespective of where you're at, provided that you're generally below the high-normal range.

While I can see your point, this is not the way things will be done. Even if you had a lab value with you, it doesn't really mean much unless you get your future blood levels checked by the same exact lab. Even then, I doubt the physician, even the most progressive is going to take the time to find the exact dosage to get your testosterone levels at such an exact, previous level. Getting in a general range is the more reasonable approach and again, subjectivity comes in to play as well.

I wouldn't worry about having to show your testosterone levels to a physician in 20 years. Either you'll need to be hypogonadal, or if you're not, you'll likely be seeing a more liberal physician, in which case he/she will likely already have a set protocol which they follow, again, trying to get you in to the high-normal range.

Hope this helps.

PS

Forgot to say. I'd just get your testosterone levels checked without any supplements or anything of that nature. At least then you have a true relative baseline that you can use in the future when using supplements and so forth.