To Cut Weight or to Not?

Hi there,

So my first meet is on June the 28th and I’m wondering if I should try to cut weight or just gain a little and keep carbs high. I’ve been cutting for the past 7 weeks to make weight for the 83kg class and I’ve dropped 4.5kg (mainly water) while maintaining strength (I’m 84kg now). The thing is, I haven’t gotten any stronger, and I also look like pretty soft. When I bulk in general I look more full and dense.

This competition is not based on total but rather on your WILKS score. So 1-3kg difference is not a big deal. If I eat more and keep carbs high then I know that I will be in the right place physically and mentally to hit PR’s, but on a deficit relying on water manipulation for weight, I just don’t feel that strong. I’m not saying that I am going to yolo my diet and go on an epic bulk for the next 3 weeks, but just increase my calories to hit maintenance and eat higher carbs.

What do you all think?

[quote]Amer1142 wrote:
Hi there,

So my first meet is on June the 28th and I’m wondering if I should try to cut weight or just gain a little and keep carbs high. I’ve been cutting for the past 7 weeks to make weight for the 83kg class and I’ve dropped 4.5kg (mainly water) while maintaining strength (I’m 84kg now). The thing is, I haven’t gotten any stronger, and I also look like pretty soft. When I bulk in general I look more full and dense.

This competition is not based on total but rather on your WILKS score. So 1-3kg difference is not a big deal. If I eat more and keep carbs high then I know that I will be in the right place physically and mentally to hit PR’s, but on a deficit relying on water manipulation for weight, I just don’t feel that strong. I’m not saying that I am going to yolo my diet and go on an epic bulk for the next 3 weeks, but just increase my calories to hit maintenance and eat higher carbs.

What do you all think? [/quote]

Do what will give you the highest WILKS score. Although it won’t be the most accurate indicator, you can plug in conservative numbers you might get for a certain weight to get an idea of the different scenarios. I don’t think a very small water cut should hurt.

First meet, don’t cut weight. What the hell is a WILKS score?

[quote]Alrightmiami19c wrote:
First meet, don’t cut weight. What the hell is a WILKS score?[/quote]

“The Wilks Coefficient or Wilks Formula, developed by Robert Wilks, is a method by which the strength of a powerlifter is measured against other powerlifters of a different weight category. The Wilks Formula is used by the International Powerlifting Federation and Powerlifting Australia.”

Do you have a shot to a) total elite, b) win the meet, or c) set a record? If none of those apply, I would not worry about it. Just get stronger, and consider cutting weight when one or more of those are relevant.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
Do you have a shot to a) total elite, b) win the meet, or c) set a record? If none of those apply, I would not worry about it. Just get stronger, and consider cutting weight when one or more of those are relevant. [/quote]

This should be the default answer every time this question pops up.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
Do you have a shot to a) total elite, b) win the meet, or c) set a record? If none of those apply, I would not worry about it. Just get stronger, and consider cutting weight when one or more of those are relevant. [/quote]

Great reply, thanks! I decided to go up a weight class rather than cut down, and I feel much better/stronger. Low carbs and heavy weight don’t well together.