To Carb or Not to Carb?

Should I be cutting carbs way back?

Here’s the Info:

Last year I weighed 251 pounds. I cut carbs down to 20g or less per day and eat healthy. Lost about 40 pounds and dropped down to 208. At 208, I was still 24% bodyfat and so I need to drop more fat.

About a month ago, I began eating more. More protein, more carbs, more fat. My diet is 50% protein and about 25% carbs, 25% fat. I usually get about 200g of protein each day. I generally get about 2,200 calories per day.

I Cycle. 6 weeks on, 6 weeks off. Right now, I am on for about two more weeks. I work out 5 times a week for about an hour.

My goal is hypertrophy. BIG BIG BIG muscles. But I still need to lose fat along the way.

Should I:

1. Continue on the 50/25/25 diet . . untouched
  2. Drop the carbs way low again . . maybe eliminate most carbs except post workout only.
  3. Increase my calories even higher?
  4. Continue on the 50/25/25 diet only while ON Cycle . .but cut carbs and calories way back when off cycle?
  5. other suggestions . . .

Are you cycling 6 weeks on/6 weeks off with training or dieting?
If you’re talking about training, I think being consistent will give you the results you’re looking for.

Taking 6 weeks off from a diet or training program will essentially put you back in square 1 every time you start again. I would continue training 5x/week with a deload week every 5th or 6th week. As long as you’re getting sufficient protein, diet is really down to personal preference in terms of how you split your carbs and fats. The most important (and only) thing for losing weight is calories consumed vs. calories expended. At 2200 calories I assume that you’re losing weight at a steady pace. Congratulations on the progress so far and good luck in the future!

Cycling… soviet sports supplements?

1 Like

Forgive me . . I am still kinda new. And I had (wrongfully) assumed that everyone would know what I meant by Cycling. However, It’s obvious to me now that there are many many many things one CAN cycle.

I am currently cycling in the Tour De France.

No . . I meant that I am doing a Cycle of T Cyponate. 6 weeks @ 400, 6 weeks off.

2 Likes

Thanks lava2007.

Sorry for the confusion. I am cycling T Cyponate. 6 weeks on, 6 weeks off. So, I was wondering if I should consume a higher amount of calories (maybe 2,800 to 3,000) during the 6 weeks I am injecting. VS, 1,800 to 2,200 calories on the 6 weeks off. Or does it even matter? Regardless of on T or off T . . I will continue my 5X week workout. I certainly don’t want to lose anything I gain.

I was dropping weight very steady at 1,800 calories. I dropped about 40 pounds in two months. Then I began my first Cycle of T. And I am eating more. About 2,000 to 2,200 calories. According to what I found, my maintenance level (including workout) should be about 3,000 calories per day. So even 2,200 should create a deficit to lose weight slowly. However, I gained 6 pounds in 4 weeks since on T. Since this is my first cycle ever - I am not sure what to expect. Perhaps it’s mostly water weight. I am just hoping that it is not fat weight. Realistically, I can feel that my biceps are harder and bigger. My upper chest is bigger . . as I work that very hard. So . . I would imagine some of that 6 pounds are indeed muscle gains.

I just want to ensure that I am getting leaner while gaining muscle. So the trick is . . am I eating too little calories to take advantage of possible muscle gains? Or, if I increase my calories to leverage gains . . will my gains be fat?

1 Like

You aint gonna get BIG BIG BIG whilst dropping body fat. Lean out first and you’ll look bigger, then think about adding size.

1 Like

Thanks Philed.

I know the numbers game. Eat less calories to lose weight. More to gain. And the old . . you can’t gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. But . . . I can’t say that I agree with that at all. In the past year, I have lost a lot of fat and gained a ton of muscle. I will upload a few pics to show a bit of before and after. I get that I won’t get ARNOLD big . . while I am losing weight . .but I don’t feel it’s an all or nothing formula.

I don’t know much about T, but what I do know is that it enhances your ability to add muscle and lose fat simultaneously.

From an outsider’s perspective, I’d say that you should increase your calories to slightly above maintenance while you’re on T. Your body can only build with what you give it. When you’re off, I’d probably eat slightly below maintenance until you’re at whatever BF% you desire.

All that being said, that’s just my best guess. You might have better luck (and more responses from more experienced individuals) in a different subforum.

Good luck man