T Nation

To Bulk or to Cut?


#1

I've been bulking for a month or 2 now, however I didn't start that lean and I've put on fat on my bulking cycle. Clearly, the time I have been bulking has not been an exceptional amount of time to add mass however my body fat percentage is definately over 15 and I my belly looks quite large sitting down or bending over. My waist is 35 inches.

I can't decide whether to carry on bulking for 2 - 3 months then cut, or cut down to 8 -10% body fat with the velocity diet and then resume clean bulking. Currently I'd estimate my BF% at 16% - 17%, I weigh 210 pounds and am 6'2".

Please advise.


#2

How about bulk until you achieve your goal LBM and then cut once and for all?

You might be chubby for a couple years but after you achieve your goal you can stay ripped forever.


#3

OR you could start low carb dieting for a month or so, then V-Diet, transition, and then resume low carb food dieting until you are shredded. once you are shredded, you’ll respect how hard it was to attain that level of leaness and never want to lose it. finally when you begin your “clean bulk” a few months down the road you’ll have a whole new perspective on fitness and never let yourself lose that six pack, all the while packing on slabs of muscle to your frame.

in my opinion id rather be the skinny guy working his way up in weights and slowly but surely getting bigger every month. when you’re lean and you add muscle, you can tell, it’s motivating. when you’re fat and “bulking” you just look fatter and fatter.


#4

[quote]daneq wrote:
OR you could start low carb dieting for a month or so, then V-Diet, transition, and then resume low carb food dieting until you are shredded. once you are shredded, you’ll respect how hard it was to attain that level of leaness and never want to lose it. finally when you begin your “clean bulk” a few months down the road you’ll have a whole new perspective on fitness and never let yourself lose that six pack, all the while packing on slabs of muscle to your frame.

in my opinion id rather be the skinny guy working his way up in weights and slowly but surely getting bigger every month. when you’re lean and you add muscle, you can tell, it’s motivating. when you’re fat and “bulking” you just look fatter and fatter.[/quote]

My diet is quite low carb, I only consume complex carbs in the form of oatmeal and wholemeal bread for breakfast.

Good solid advice there though. By the way, does anyone know with the V-Diet if I can use whey protein mixed with milk so it because a casein meal of sorts, or if I have to purchase a casein protein? Just investigating the V-Diet before taking it up.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:


#5

[quote]gman123 wrote:
daneq wrote:
OR you could start low carb dieting for a month or so, then V-Diet, transition, and then resume low carb food dieting until you are shredded. once you are shredded, you’ll respect how hard it was to attain that level of leaness and never want to lose it. finally when you begin your “clean bulk” a few months down the road you’ll have a whole new perspective on fitness and never let yourself lose that six pack, all the while packing on slabs of muscle to your frame.

in my opinion id rather be the skinny guy working his way up in weights and slowly but surely getting bigger every month. when you’re lean and you add muscle, you can tell, it’s motivating. when you’re fat and “bulking” you just look fatter and fatter.

My diet is quite low carb, I only consume complex carbs in the form of oatmeal and wholemeal bread for breakfast.

Good solid advice there though. By the way, does anyone know with the V-Diet if I can use whey protein mixed with milk so it because a casein meal of sorts, or if I have to purchase a casein protein? Just investigating the V-Diet before taking it up.

Thanks in advance :)[/quote]

No. Don’t do it. Stick to the plan. Why? Peruse through the Physique Clinic’s and you’ll discover CT mentioning that milk is rated 100 on the Insulin Index…meaning that the insulin spike from milk is very high. Stick with Metabolic Drive, and all the supplements mentioned in the diet. No tweaks. If you do tweak it, don’t call it the Velocity Diet, cause it isn’t :slight_smile:


#6

I would be apprehensive about cutting until you are happy with the muscle you have. Putting on fat during a gaining phase is pretty much a given. Why don’t you tweak your diet some so that you still make progress while slowing down your fat gain?

I have just done that very thing. I was gaining too fast, so I cut back a little bit. For me, that meant eliminating milk. I am still gaining muscle and strength, but my waist has stayed the same.


#7

[quote]gman123 wrote:
I’ve been bulking for a month or 2 now, however I didn’t start that lean and I’ve put on fat on my bulking cycle. Clearly, the time I have been bulking has not been an exceptional amount of time to add mass however my body fat percentage is definately over 15 and I my belly looks quite large sitting down or bending over. My waist is 35 inches.

I can’t decide whether to carry on bulking for 2 - 3 months then cut, or cut down to 8 -10% body fat with the velocity diet and then resume clean bulking. Currently I’d estimate my BF% at 16% - 17%, I weigh 210 pounds and am 6’2".

Please advise.

[/quote]

Which one do you want most? If you want to cut first, do that, it won’t take you that long if your doing the v-diet, if you want to bulk first, do that then cut, there is no right or wrong way


#8

6’2", 210lbs…youre huge! How much bigger are you than the other guys in your grade?


#9

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
6’2", 210lbs…youre huge! How much bigger are you than the other guys in your grade?[/quote]

I’m 20, so I’m not in a grade :slight_smile:

I have a pretty big bone structure, wide shoulders and so on. I’m pretty lucky, I got a good base for BBing, I’ve just never been that lean, I started at 195lbs at which I was around 14.5% bodyfat.

I want to carry on bulking, but I’m sick of my lack of leanness, part of me says stop being a pussy and bulk cleanly, feel fat for a few months and then cut. The other part wants to get lean and add mass.

Hard decision :stuck_out_tongue:


#10

if you want to slow your fat gain then ditch the oatmeal and bread even if it is whole wheat. they are acceptable carb sources but not what i would call optimal, especially if that’s all your consuming and noticing fat gain.

try sweet potato/yam, quoina, or a wild rice for your post workout meal and maybe eat some berries or oranges in the morning instead.

g/l with whatever path you choose tho.


#11

I don’t know about you man but in my opinion at 6’2" 210 you have a decent base, unless you’re a total fat ass. I’d lose the weight because like the guy said above you can bulk at your weight but you’re just going to look like some chubby dude who lifts weights- or worse, just a chubby dude. Anyone that advises you to “just eat” or “don’t worry about it just fuckin bulk!” is probably fat and gets no chicks, and, well, misery loves company.


#12

I’m gonna say follow a bulking workout plan but eat healthy. Like dont count your cals or carbs so much as just eat 4-7 times a day, keeping it clean. Mabe cheat on sundays. do that for a while. It will keep fat gain to a minimum if any while you add mass.