T Nation

To Bulk or To Cut

Stats: 5' 11", 190ish lbs and id estimate im around 16-17% bf

So i did a half assed cutting cycle during the summer, then started a bulking cycle after vacation (which was 1 week of eating complete shit). I've been trying to bulk for maybe a month now and i feel like i look like shit already. I read about some benefits when starting a bulk at a lower BF% and was wondering what you guys think. I was probably 15%bf at the start of the bulk. I hate feeling like a fatass and i'm wondering if i should go super lean first (9%-10%).

This has been a long term issue with me, never being able to decide to bulk or cut and then half assing either one. Id like to get opinions on which i should go for all out.

Lifts:

BB bench: 230x3
Deadlift: 405x4
OH Press: 155x1
Squat: 355 x4

Here are some pictures relaxed and flexing

flexing..

You should stop eating shit and eat and to grow. Period no cutting you have nothing to show for it. If you cut to a honest 9-10% you will be damn near 6ft and 170 so not very impressive.

You should stop eating shit and eat and to grow. Period no cutting you have nothing to show for it. If you cut to a honest 9-10% you will be damn near 6ft and 170 so not very impressive.

not expecting to be "impressive", since the question was regarding whether its that much better to bulk from 9-10? or from 16-17?

Follow this advice. If you start eating to fuel your body, and train with intensity, you will add muscle, and slowly trim some of the fat as well. Even if you stay the same amount of fat, you will look and be more impressive by adding more muscle.

Here's your problem. You need to pick a goal then stop half-assing it. No-one can pick your goals for you, so you need to pick one before anyone can help you.

I'll pick your goal for you. Bulk. Put on 15-20 lbs. At that point, assess your muscle size. Your goal is to get a little too big. Remember that! Because when it is time to come down and cut, your going to lose a little bit of your muscle. A six pack is great, but not if there aren't any muscles left on your body after the cut.