T Nation

To Anyone With Shot Rot. Cuffs

I tried to incorporate some bent over later raises to my routine, but my shoulder clicks and feels like it’s about to give. I’ve been doing external and internal rotations forever, but they don’t seem to help! The movement that bothers me is best described as: bend your arm to a ninety degree angle, and lift up to the side without shrugging.

Does anybody else have a shot rotator cuff that can prescribe something? I’m currently doing DB shoulder presses, side raises (standing, arms straight) and face pulls, time permitting. Thanks! P.S. The cuban press doesn’t help either.

Are you sure it’s your rotators? Have you done wall slides or ytwls?

You need to check out the Hartman/Robertson article a few weeks ago.

Also, the I/O DVD is excellent. You’ve likely got scapular issues that are never going to be solved by working the cuff directly.

Best,
DH

[quote]dreads989 wrote:
I tried to incorporate some bent over later raises to my routine, but my shoulder clicks and feels like it’s about to give. I’ve been doing external and internal rotations forever, but they don’t seem to help! The movement that bothers me is best described as: bend your arm to a ninety degree angle, and lift up to the side without shrugging.

Does anybody else have a shot rotator cuff that can prescribe something? I’m currently doing DB shoulder presses, side raises (standing, arms straight) and face pulls, time permitting. Thanks! P.S. The cuban press doesn’t help either.[/quote]

I will track that down, thank you DH! And to yarbo, I am definately sure it’s my rotator cuff. I went to a physical therapist a few years ago, and I used to be a competitive swimmer for several years.

[quote]Disc Hoss wrote:
You need to check out the Hartman/Robertson article a few weeks ago.

Also, the I/O DVD is excellent. You’ve likely got scapular issues that are never going to be solved by working the cuff directly.

Best,
DH

dreads989 wrote:

Does anybody else have a shot rotator cuff that can prescribe something? I’m currently doing DB shoulder presses, side raises (standing, arms straight) and face pulls, time permitting. Thanks! P.S. The cuban press doesn’t help either.

[/quote]

It’s all about progression. I fixed my shoulder problems over a few months by doing the following:

• Maintaining all my major lifts while focusing on bringing up my barbell rows to match my bench press.

• Removing all work on the front delts and all overhead pressing.

• Shoulder work was reduced to rear delt flyes with light weights for 4 sets of 8-12 and side DB flyes for 3 x 8-12. My criteria for success was “no clicking”. If my shoulder clicked, I considered that to be the failure point of the set.

• Daily stretching of the pecs. 1 minute set per pec done at morning, noon, and night (3x/day).

• Daily “scapular retractions” where I’d forcefully punch my scapulae together and down, hold for three seconds, and repeat for ten reps. Repeated for three sets daily. One minute between sets.

Once my lateral and rear delt flyes were up to at least 1/2 the weight I’d use for curls and extensions, I noticed the clicking and pain started to go away.

After that point I started incorporating close-grip upright rows and eventually overhead pressing, with warmup sets of bar-only behind-the-neck pressing, focusing on scapular stability.

Now I can do snatches, overhead squats, and behind-neck presses and pullups no problem.

Hope this helps,

ElbowStrike

Thanks man! I’ll give a few of your suggestions a shot, as well as some of the stuff from the article.

[quote]ElbowStrike wrote:
It’s all about progression. I fixed my shoulder problems over a few months by doing the following:

• Maintaining all my major lifts while focusing on bringing up my barbell rows to match my bench press.

• Removing all work on the front delts and all overhead pressing.

• Shoulder work was reduced to rear delt flyes with light weights for 4 sets of 8-12 and side DB flyes for 3 x 8-12. My criteria for success was “no clicking”. If my shoulder clicked, I considered that to be the failure point of the set.

• Daily stretching of the pecs. 1 minute set per pec done at morning, noon, and night (3x/day).

• Daily “scapular retractions” where I’d forcefully punch my scapulae together and down, hold for three seconds, and repeat for ten reps. Repeated for three sets daily. One minute between sets.

Once my lateral and rear delt flyes were up to at least 1/2 the weight I’d use for curls and extensions, I noticed the clicking and pain started to go away.

After that point I started incorporating close-grip upright rows and eventually overhead pressing, with warmup sets of bar-only behind-the-neck pressing, focusing on scapular stability.

Now I can do snatches, overhead squats, and behind-neck presses and pullups no problem.

Hope this helps,

ElbowStrike[/quote]

Is this image what you’re talking about? If it is I have the same problem. If it’s not…damnit I still don’t know what it is.

have him bend forward and make a 45 degree angle to the floor, and that’s right. Or, a better way to describe my problem, was if you were gripping a seated row apparatus (narrow grip, like a V), while keeping your arms bent at a 90 degree angle, raise them side ways until the elbow is on the same transverse plane as your shoulder.

[quote]Skrussian wrote:
Is this image what you’re talking about? If it is I have the same problem. If it’s not…damnit I still don’t know what it is.[/quote]