T Nation

To All the Tall Weight Lifters Out There!

Hmm.. now, now,

im 6'2.. im not as tall as some guys are in the gym.. but i am taller than most people out there... and all i know is.. i HATE, HATE! being called tiny because my friend who is 5'8 is so called "bigger" than me..

funny thing is, his arms are actualy smaller than mine, which to me, i think is pathetic!

BUT STILL! i get people saying " man he is so much bigger than you ".

it is because hes short, compact, LIKE A DAMN HONDA CIVIC!

now dont get me wrong, i only have 16.6 inch arms.. but here is how i think of it.. us " tall " people have to work a RIDICULOUS amount more than shorter people to get the gains we want.. you add 1 inch anywhere on your body and your 6'2, it is HARD to notice.. let along the extra foot + of ROM we have being tall !!

with us tall people, our BICEPS ALONE are just 8-10 inchs (long).. being short, yours are what, 4-5 inches?

now.. dont get mad because im hating on shorter people, because i respect ANYONE who works out, because in this day of age, we need more fit people, look at America's obesity %.. its ridiculous!

now after reading this, no matter if your tall or short.. rethink about the things you say, and see out there in the gym..

Everything you've said is obvious common knowledge...get over it.

hardly, the amount of people you see in the gym will consider a shorter person to be huge and not put into perspective the taller persons limb size.. for the most part yes, common knowledge, but really.. its not.. i am sure you being 6'1 you've had someone say that to you? (now you will most likely say " no i have not" )

Yeah, well you can't do anything about it, so just lift.

And I've yet to hear a really tall guy be called "tiny." People often associate height with strength for some reason.

And tall people have it good in many other areas of life. Get over it.

You might think being tall sucks but it doesnt in reality. I know being tall makes squats and bench pressing difficult but if you put on enough muscle it overcompensates for it. Being tall is advantageous over being short if you are mostly fast twitch muscle and have a large frame. I am about 6'5" when I first started lifting I could not press at all, now I can strict press 250 overhead so dont ever say you wont be able to press.

Ever since I started lifting I have put on 110 pounds of solid weight and I still have a lot of filling out to do. Also I am not fat my current body fat percentage is about 14%. The one thing I will say that is very difficult with height is having good core stability and strength, it requires extra work on our part.

http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/succeeding_as_a_tall_bodybuilder

Pound for pound, smaller weight lifters are stronger than taller ones.

However, you have the ability to easily reach the cookies on the top shelf when you're bulking. Consider it a fair tradeoff.

Yeah, but when you get big you'll eclipse him.

I'd rather be a little taller any day of the week.

Who cares about pound for pound strength. I mean would you rather deadlift 400 weighing 100 pounds or deadlift 700 weighing 350. People that are into strength should be trying to increase their actual max not their strength to weight ratio. If you have to get a calculator out to determine if you are strong you are not strong.

it's only obvious to people who lift and understand lifting principles

the other week at work some fucktard walked up to me and asked how much i bench. I am 6'5'' 205lbs, this guy is 5'7''. I said, right now i rep out 205 lbs for 4-5 sets. He gave me some BS saying "oh wow, i thought it would be a lot more, in highschool i maxed out at 190. I could probably hit 140 right now and i haven't lifted in years."

he weighs about 130lbs now, vegetarian, and is tiny tiny tiny. i wanted to pick him up by his head and toss him.

To the OP, I gotta say I don't really get your point. Standing at 6`1" I've never had any problems building muscle, plus if you're looking at it from the esthetic perspective (or the female perspective, for that matter), having lots of muscle looks better on a tall guy than a short stout patron who is more prone to look "fat" with it.
Just my 2 cents.

I'm a little over 6'2 and i just don't bitch about it.

Also theres a guy who goes to my gym that benches well over 315, squats over 4, and pulls over 5.

Quit yer bitchin'

(And i mean full ATG squats.)

Im in the OP's defense, Im 6'5" and its very true that tall guys have to work harder to get to the point of looking like we lift.i would say that the average height of males is somewhere in the range of 5'9" -6'0" and me being 5" taller then the high side of that it makes a difference, But on the other side once you get to the point of looking like you lift people notice.its hard not to notice a tall guy wearing an XL shirt and filling it out.

OP i hear you but quit bitching, trust me I understand but the only way to get over it is to lift hard and and eat harder,Spend alot of time in the squat rack and stay focused.People will allways notice the bigger guy first.

Do you remember what your bodyweight when it looked liked you lifted? Once I hit 270 I started to notice heads turning when I walked by.

A lot of people in the gym will think that because most people in the gym don't really know anything, it's common sense that a muscle that weighs the same is going to look bigger if it is shorter, that's all I'm trying to say, all you gotta do is use your brain and think about it. And stop complaining, just get bigger and once you outweigh all the short guys by 50+ pounds they'll wish they were taller and able to put on as much weight as us taller people...

I think the reason squats and bench presses (let me add dead lifts here also) are more difficult for some is due to differences in certain bone-length ratios and key angles. Someone with a shorter femur relative to their tibia will always have an easier time on squats and deads. The leverage is simply better. As for me (6'2") and my near-equal length tibia and femur, I usually scrape the hell out of my shins when doing barbell dead lifts. I need to either use a trap bar or do dumbbell deads. I even read somewhere how Usain Bolt and other top sprinters have a relatively longer tibia than femur--resulting in a greater piston effect and faster speeds.

Likewise, one's clavicle angle is a big factor in how easy it is to (and how much one can) bench press. Those with a shallow clavicle angle don't have the same leverage when the bar is flat against the chest. The movement stresses the shoulder joints unless one stops a few inches shy of the chest on the descent. Some lifters use a pad or board across the chest to help.

Now, do taller lifters have shorter tibia-to-femur ratios? Do taller lifters with their longer arms have more shallow clavicle angles? I don't know. It could be.

I recently completed something called a "biolever analysis" to measure these angles and compare them to norms. The results made intuitive sense to me and basically reinforced what my own body had been telling me for years about some of these basic lifts.

I don't think taller lifters should shy away from these lifts. Just the opposite! In fact, a taller lifter with a well-defined musculature will always look more impressive (IMO) than a shorter lifter with the same. In my gym, so many muscular lifters who are short almost look a little too stubby. (Maybe they simply need to cut?) But taller lifters--er, I mean those with disadvantaged biomechanics--do need to be vigilant in some of their lifts. The particular stress you're feeling when you're lifting ass-to-the-grass or barbell-to-the-chest can mean that you're imposing more stress on the joints than on the muscle you think you're trying so hard to work.

Well sir you have 40 lbs on me, so I must return to the gym and squat till sunsrise.

Lol, I weighed 270 back in december, I'm about 295 right now though. To be honest I seriously want to hit 345 and be under 18% body fat, so when I see myself in the mirror I always say, not there yet but someday. Just keep pushing hard in the gym, good luck.

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
ironmaniac508 wrote:
horsepuss wrote:
Im in the OP's defense, Im 6'5" and its very true that tall guys have to work harder to get to the point of looking like we lift.i would say that the average height of males is somewhere in the range of 5'9" -6'0" and me being 5" taller then the high side of that it makes a difference, But on the other side once you get to the point of looking like you lift people notice.its hard not to notice a tall guy wearing an XL shirt and filling it out.

OP i hear you but quit bitching, trust me I understand but the only way to get over it is to lift hard and and eat harder,Spend alot of time in the squat rack and stay focused.People will allways notice the bigger guy first.

And yeah its nice being tall and really muscular.