TNation Strava Cycling Club

LordUno, do you ever cycle over to Rothsay on Butte and chase pheasants?
also, is Sauchiehall St still a nice place to spend the day people watching?

[quote]silverblood wrote:
also, is Sauchiehall St still a nice place to spend the day people watching?[/quote]

Haha I actually have a family home over in Rothesay however with regards to chasing pheasants, that’s dogs work. I just eat them.

Sauchiehall St? If you really want to experience some people watching then get yourself to an area like Saracen Street in Possil or Govan.

[quote]ChongLordUno wrote:

also, is Sauchiehall St still a nice place to spend the day people watching?[/quote]

Haha I actually have a family home over in Rothesay however with regards to chasing pheasants, that’s dogs work. I just eat them.

Sauchiehall St? If you really want to experience some people watching then get yourself to an area like Saracen Street in Possil or Govan.
[/quote]
last time I was there was in the 80’s. you only went to Saracen to score some heroin or other drugs. a real bad place. must have cleaned up the area.

last time I was there was in the 80’s. you only went to Saracen to score some heroin or other drugs. a real bad place. must have cleaned up the area.[/quote]

That’s the point mate. You’ll watch far more interesting ‘people’ round those parts!Oh and its not as bad but still pretty fucking bad

Heres one for you ChongLordUno:

How I spent another Saturday morn:

I raced Cat 3 throughout the 90’s and early 2000 in Ontario, Canada. A wife, 2 kids, does not allow for much racing these days, though I do have the opportunity of racing in the Masters class (40 - 49 yrs) if I wanted to. I still find the time to get on the bike 4 times a week and join a big group ride on Sunday mornings which is about 90-100km and about 60-70 riders.

Some one mentioned LSD (long steady distance) riding early in the season and I couldn’t agree more. You need to build your aerobic base by logging those long, steady miles before you can introduce power sessions like intervals. It’s funny, buy you actually get faster by riding slower if you plan your base training correctly. I usually do 6-8 weeks base training, before I introduce interval/ anaerobic threshold work, and it really makes a difference in your training in terms of maintaining your fitness levels longer throughout the season.

For all it’s worth, those that can only train less than 8 hours a week may find the book the Time Crunched Cyclist by Chris Carmichael interesting. The book is geared to those who can only ride between 6 - 8 hours a week, the sessions are intense and consist of structured intervals for 10-11 weeks. Your pretty much burned out after the program and then do 4 - 5 weeks of maintenance rides before re-introducing intervals again.

Hey JACKED71, killerDIRK cat 3 here. One thing I have applied with excellent results is using the WestSide Method for Cycling.

It is very similar to how Meb Keflezighi trains throughout the year… Two hard “heavy days” with two “explosive days” per week.

Funny how so dissimilar sports can work off of the same training template !

Here is me with Meb:

I like to ride bikes - mountain, road, cx, they’re all good. I like to race a little bit on my mountain bike but I tend to focus on cyclocross in the fall which is the most fun I’ve ever had racing by a long shot. I’ve raced a bit on the road a bit in last year and in 2012 but not at all this year, still, that’s where I spend the most time riding.

I’m not on Strave, but I do have a Garmin account. I think you can create a group on Garmin but I’m not sure how as I’m a social media retard.

killerDIRK - do you have to set up your Garmin account a certain way so you can post your rides like that?

dcb, no actually.
I just copy and paste it into this forum.

OK, I know this is probably a stupid question and I hope I explain it correctly:

what height should you place your seat for riding? Should you have a 45 degree bend in your leg? should your knee"almost be straight" on the down stroke? Should your knees always be in a “high position” ? I guess, what I want to know is, what is the best knee/leg angle for riding? Hope that makes sense.

[quote]idaho wrote:
OK, I know this is probably a stupid question and I hope I explain it correctly:

what height should you place your seat for riding? Should you have a 45 degree bend in your leg? should your knee"almost be straight" on the down stroke? Should your knees always be in a “high position” ? I guess, what I want to know is, what is the best knee/leg angle for riding? Hope that makes sense.[/quote]
People have written books on this subject. If possible its probably best you do some research on who in you area has the expertise of fitting bikes, and go pay this person for some advice.

tweet

^ this !
Google Greg Lemond Bicycle fit, also google professional bicycle fit.
What needs to be taken into account is: Inseam Length, Heel to Ball of foot length (not heel to toe!). This is for the Pedaling aspect.
The upper body fit will be based more on your function i.e. Racing, Recreation or touring. Racing will be a more agressive forward lean while recreation and touring are generally more of an upright fit.

Hope this helps and happy, safe cycling !

Bird & KD: Thank you for the advise.

KillerDirk,
Can you supply some more info on your method of training? Perhaps a link or specific times? Thanks

Me - pure mountain biker. Have tried road biking…I do not feel safe on the roads in my town unless I am in a pack…and I do not seem to do very well with structured start times. I am more of a “ride when I get a chance” kind of guy. Also, I have a great park very close to me with miles of single and double track.

bghtn: thanks for the good question. Sitting down ?
Having worked with Olympic Athletes on and off for 20 years in multiple disciplines, Louie Simmons got it right.
Yes, you read that correctly. In a 7 day period you will have two Heavy (think spinning out your 42x16) days and two speed/explosive day.

Sound familiar ? Sound pretty Westside-Barbell? It really is. I saw this first hand for 6 months in 1996 with the US Olympic Sculling Team
led by former US coach Igor Grinko. We had two a days twice per week outside of pheonix at 1000ft elevation, two heavier days with clean and jerk movements on dry land along with pulling additonal weight on the water ouside of Flagstaff at 7000ft. So we also had the benefit of Altitude training.

So if you can get at minimum 1 Explosive day, 1 Heavy day and one tempo day (at or slightly above race pace for X distance) in per week you are better off than 70% of the people out there !

Just remember that your nutrition is still nutrition, its IMPORTANT. You cannot out-train bad nutrition. You cannot out nutrition bad Sleep. You cannot out sleep bad Breathing and you cannot out breath bad Thoughts. This is Dirks Heirarchy of Strength and Conditioning.(c)

I hope this helps you on your way to a more successful cycling expirience !

Also, dont be afraid to mix it up with the clubs…The level of competitiveness I find always gets me to dig deeper and come out Strong(er) !

killerDIRK,
Thanks for the reply. Very interesting.

anybody ever create a group? Im not riding anywhere as much as the last 2 years since i got back in the gym, but i still try to head out once a week or so.

GetitUp ! Got to this site:

Find a club or clubs near you. Get out with them and see which one fits your “style”.
Similar to training with a partner in the gym, riding with others that are better than you will drive your abilities to greater heights !

Happy Cycling, and give us those three feeet !

Did @killerDIRK ever cycle the British Isles?

No . It is on my Bucket List though.
I would love to circumnavigate the British Isles .
What would you recommend as the least touristy , best weather time of year ??