TMJ - Possible Cause of Your SI Joint Problems

Since so many people seem to have problems with their SI joint, I decided to write this thread hoping to help
people who suffer from this persisent and nagging pain.

I have suffered from left SI joint pain on and off for more than 2 years. I cannot describe how much I suffered.
There were days where I woke up and thought a knife was sticking in my lower back. It was especially bad when I was standing for a prolonged time, for example when doing the washing-up, or when I was lying on my belly with my back slightly extended. Sometimes I even felt a burning sensation, especially after physical activity.

I visited a dozens of doctors - orthopedics, sports physicians, rheumatologists - without success. The MRI of the pelvis did not show any inflammation or damage.

As many, I was prescribed physiotherapy and manual therapy. Both therapies did not help, so my orthopedic tried prolotherapy and acupuncture. The prolotherapy only caused worse pain due to the inflammation that sets in. After it settled down, the same nagging pain was felt in the SI joint area. The acupunkture was useless aswell.

After my orthopedic saw that no treatment was helping, he told me to visit a known dentist in my town that also has knowledge of the musculoskeletal system. He checked my teeth, the jaw and the neck muscles. Apparently, I was crunching at night without knowing it. This led to increased muscle tensions in the jaw and neck muscles, which brought the cervical spine out of balance.

If the first vortex is not sitting correctly due to muscle tensions in the jaw and neck area, the whole spine will react and it will be out of balance. This directly affects the SI joint. It is said that when you are nodding with your head, the SI joint also moves very very slightly. I could not believe that my jaw and neck has something to do with my horrible SI joint pain.

I was sent to an osteopath who corrected the first vortex and removed the tension of the neck and jaw muscles in just two sessions. After most of the tensions and muscle knots were removed, I was prescribed a bite splint to prevent crunching at night.

It is important that you will not use any bite splints that are sold on the internet because this can make things worse for you! You need a dentist who makes an imprint of your teeth to make a bite splint that perfectly fits to your bit.

After 2 weeks of wearing my bite splint at night, the SI joint was reduced significantly. I wore the bite splint for 3 months and I did not have any SI joint pain for half a year now.

In some cases, the bite splint needs to be worn longer. When there is a malposition of the teeth that causes the jaw tension, a brace will be necessary to correct the bit. But in most of the cases, a bite splint will do the job.

The dysfunction of the jaw due to muscle tension or malposition of the bit is called TMJ (temporomandibular joint dysfunction). Check this out to find out how TMJ can negatively affect your whole body.

For those of you who are still in pain despite different therapies, get your jaw checked out. It might be the reason for your SI joint pain.

I hope this will help some of you.

Regards
Destrudo666