TM79's Training Journal

Thanks! And yes, no doubt about the work stress. Definitely need that to calm down soon.

Yesterday’s Cals: 3,000/- (Smithfield’s Fried Chicken & Hush Puppies… Yummmm…)

Warmup
3 Rounds:
100-M LISS
5 Pull-ups
10 Push-ups
15 Squats

8:19, 73 Cals, 116 BPM

Metcon 1
“Cindy XXX”
Complete the following for time (was 20-minute time limit):
10 Pull-ups
20 Push-ups
30 Squats
15 Pull-ups
30 Push-ups
45 Squats
20 Pull-ups
40 Push-ups
60 Squats
25 Pull-ups
50 Push-ups
75 Squats
30 Pull-ups
60 Push-ups
90 Squats

26:34, 298 Cals, 133 BPM

Metcon 2
From Josh Bridges
5 Rounds
0.20 Mile Run (Sub for 21-Cal Echo Bike)
7 Power Cleans, 95 lb

15:24, 205 Cals, 153 BPM

Comments: That’s pretty bad when you eat a granola bar for breakfast, salad for lunch and still manage to blow your calories. That fried chicken sure was good though…

Metcons: This was, essentially, three metcons but who’s counting… The Cindy XXX metcon was from crossfit. I’ve done that one before, back in 2021. That time I stopped at 20 minutes during the set of 75 squats. Today, I was halfway done with the set of 30 pull-ups when 20 minutes expired so I’ll call that a win. Since I’m going for more overall effort nowadays I just finished the metcon in 26 minutes and then did another one from Josh Bridges (who is an absolute beast). He was doing 21 calories on the Echo bike, which is pretty damned high intensity. He was also doing 205 lb power cleans, but recommended doing a weight that, “was light enough for you to keep going, but heavy enough that you didn’t want to.” That weight, for me would have probably been 115 lb, but my lower back just started feeling better from earlier this week so I bumped it down to 95. I subbed in 0.20 mile runs for the Echo Bike and that was my first time doing any running in several months. Hopefully that doesn’t aggravate anything… It felt really good to run again. I did the cleans out in the yard so I could drop the barbell (I don’t buy the expensive Rogue barbells for Olympic lifting. I buy the cheap, $100 barbells that you aren’t supposed to drop) It felt good to drop the barbell too. :smiling_face: Done.

6 Likes

Wow. That Cindy xxx looks insane. Killer work out Trent. Good to see you put that fried chicken and hush puppies to good use! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Thanks Shane. Those were some good ones. Now I need to find some dirt to fill the divots in my yard so no one breaks their ankle. :joy: Yeah, the fried chicken was amazing. :drooling_face:

I would have said misery not insane… but wowsers…

2 Likes

It isn’t that bad. You have to take a fair amount of breaks on those high rep sets so that makes it easier. The original Cindy is a lot harder, IMO. Nothing but ball busting effort…

2 Likes

Yesterday’s Cals: 3,100/-

Friday Free Day

Precor Bike
45:00, 13.0 Miles, 145 BPM

Cool Down: Precor Bike
5:00, Total Cals: 629

Comments: Didn’t sleep well last night and didn’t really feel like going to the gym. Went anyway and torched some calories on the bike. Just plugged Jocko in and stuck with pretty low resistance. That may have been my best pace to date though at 17.3 mph. I slowed down to about a 15 mph pace for the cool down. Forgot to start my watch for almost 3-4 minutes in the beginning. The bike said I burned 700 calories but I’ll count what the watch says. Off to work…

3 Likes

Jocko is always good at reminding you to get it done no matter what. You are kicking ass on the precor bike Trent! Solid cal dump as well. Good luck at work today.

1 Like

Thanks Shane. Yeah, it’s hard not to be motivated when listening to Jocko. Was glad to get a good time and torch the calories.

Just saw they are coming out with a new paid forum on here. Hopefully they don’t do away with this one because I’m not paying.

Rest assured, there are no plans to remove any of the free forums. The new T NATION+ will simply an addition.

4 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. Appreciate it. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Yesterday’s Cals: 2,900/+150

Surfing: Wrightsville Beach, Blockade Runner
1:40:04, 746 Cals, 103 BPM

Comments: This is supposed to be my heavy week but I am holding off on starting it. Saturday, I woke up and my tail bone was hurting pretty bad. It has improved a little over the weekend but is still hurting some. So, I decided to go surfing this morning instead of going to the gym. I met up with a buddy from church at 6:45AM and man, IT WAS COLD! Surfed for almost two hours with temps in the low 40’s. Then changed in the street and drove to Myrtle Beach for the day. Took almost 30 minutes to regain feeling in my hands and feet. Lol. Caught a few decent ones, but man am I ready for some warmer weather… Have a good day!

5 Likes

You are a beast man. Surfing in the low 40s? Wow! Very impressive Trent. I am with you on being ready for warmer weather. Unfortunately this week it is going to be damn cold down here.

2 Likes

Ha ha, thanks Shane. Honestly, I didn’t really look at the weather this morning until I got in the car after I was done. I could have sworn that last night my phone was saying it was going to be in the 50’s and just thought that it felt colder because it was dark, cloudy and windy. The cold always feels colder in the dark. That’s what I kept telling myself. Then I got in the truck to leave and the truck thermometer said 42 degrees! :cold_face: :joy:

2 Likes

Yesterday’s Cals: 3,000/-300

Row: 10:00, 2,235 M, 97 Cals, 163 BPM

Box Squat
10x115,
8x135
6x165
5x185
3x205
1x225
1x255
1x285

17:24, 153 Cals, 121 BPM

Bench
10x135
8x155
6x175
5x185
3x195
1x205
1x215 (Easy but stopped here)

15:16, 96 Cals, 98 BPM

Accessory
2 Rounds:
20 HS Iso Lat Rows, 2PPS
20 DB Bench, 60’s, 55’s
20 Laying Leg Raises
20 Alternating Lunges

7:54, 89 Cals, 134 BPM

Intervals
2 Rounds
20 Wall Balls, 20 lb
750M Row

11:51, 170 Cals, 159 BPM

Comments: Lower back was still hurting this morning and felt it during squats. Actually wanted to go heavier but didn’t want to over do it so that was it. 215 went up really easy on bench but didn’t want to be that guy failing a rep at 225. Accessory was solid with the sets of 20. The intervals were intense. Done.

6 Likes

Heck yeah Trent. Really strong squatting today. Also good to hear the 215 moved easy for you. That accessory work looked great and I like the addition of the rower into the mix on your intervals.

1 Like

Thanks Shane. That was a good session. It’s nice to go into it well rested for a change. :joy: Right after I finished squatting a guy walked in and worked up to 405 on squat. Just glad I finished up before he arrived so he didn’t make me look bad. :joy: I’m pretty sure that is the heaviest I’ve ever seen anyone squat in real life. Very impressive. It’s funny on bench, I would go for that last set any day in my garage because I don’t really care if I fail a rep in there. I just don’t want to look like a dumbass in the gym. Lol. :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Failing a rep doesn’t make you look like a dumbass at all. Never seen anyone who was trying to really improve who hasn’t tried to gut out a last rep and not make it. How many 40 + guys at your bodyweight are doing what you do? Don’t give looking bad a second thought. Unless your wearing speedos in the gym, or the beach, or anywhere.

3 Likes

Excellent points. Sorry, I meant more like not ask for a spot and dump the barbell. For some reason there is never anyone in the bench area at my gym… 43 years speedo free and holding! :joy:

1 Like