TM79's Training Journal

Sounds like a nice get away Trent. It must seem odd staying back in a house you lived in with someone else owning it now. I guess with things like VRBO it makes it much more common than it ever would have been when we were growing up.

The run seems like it was perfect!

Have a great weekend.

Ha ha, thanks buddy. I didn’t stay in the same house. It was in the same area as our old house. Sorry, should have clarified. The run was good. I miss running there.

1 Like

BW: 179.2 (Ouch…)
Yesterday’s Net: +500

LISS: 1 Mile, 20:00, 225 Cals

Deload Week

Box Squat (Rolling the IT band and Piriformis between sets)
8x115
6x145
4x165
2x185

Bench
8x115
6x135
4x165
2x195

Stats: 23:13, 151 Cals, 105 BPM (Functional Strength Training)

Accessory
4 Rounds:
5 A2G Goblet Squats holding a 25 lb plate
5 CGBP, 115 lb
5 Pull-ups
8 Lying Leg Raises

Stats: 9:50, 92 Cals, 116 BPM (HIIT)

Conditioning: Intervals/Sprints
2 Rounds:
8 DB Power Cleans, then 1 Press, Alternating, 2x30 lb
400-Meter LISS

Stats: 11:50, 143 Cals, 141 BPM (HIIT)

Comments: Still feeling under the weather but I’m going to try and get back to it with a deload week. I put on about 4 pounds over the holidays. Didn’t track any calories and only went for one run since before Christmas. Time to tighten up. I’ve had waves of feeling very tired since last Wednesday, 12/29/21. I have had some mild respiratory irritation (mild difficulty getting a full breath, etc.), but not much of a cough. Yesterday I had as sore throat but woke up this morning and it was gone. Hopefully things will trend upward.

Strength Session: The first sets of strength felt heavy. The subsequent sets were better. Hip bursitis was bugging me so I was rolling it between sets, which seemed to help. Accessory was really good. I love A2G squats holding a plate out in front as a counter weight. Conditioning was nice too. Felt pretty good overall after that.

Lunchtime Surf Session: Blockade Runner Hotel – Wrightsville Beach
1:09:08, 516 Cals, 119 BPM

Surf Session: The waves were chest – head high with the wind howling offshore at 25 mph. That made them pretty hard to get into as you are getting sprayed in the face when you try to paddle into them. I drifted about a half mile in an hour’s time and only caught about 4 waves. The last one was really good though. It walled up nicely and I tried to slow down to get into the barrel. It crapped out right before the barrel caught up with me. Got out after that, changed in the street and went back to the office. It sure is nice to be out of that wind…

3 Likes

Solid workout Trent. We both got in some squats and benching today. Great minds think alike. :blush:

That looks like some real surfing waves. A lot bigger than I am used to seeing when I head down to the Gulf. That was a solid cal dump in that hour as well!

Hopefully you feel better soon and good to hear the sore throat is gone.

Thanks Shane. Yes they do indeed! :wink: I usually do squats/bench on Monday. I’d like to get another barbell so that I can superset them. Yeah, the surf here gets good sometimes. It actually does at the gulf too but not as often. Right up the coast in the outer banks (OBX) it gets good more often than anywhere else on the east coast. They are further out into the ocean and the continental shelf blocks less of the swell. They usually have something to ride every day.

1 Like

BW: 178.8
Yesterday’s Net: -200

LISS: 1 Mile, 20:00, 225 Cals

Deload Week

(Superset)/100-Meter LISS between rounds
Hex Deads
8x145
6x165
4x185
2x205

Overhead Press
8x65
6x75
4x85
2x95

Pull-ups
8xBW
6xBW
4xBW Paused, 5-Count
2xBW Paused, 10-Count

Stats: 16:29, 142 Cals, 118 BPM

Accessory
4 Rounds:
5 RDL’s, 115 lb
5 Rows, 115 lb
5 Barbell Push-ups
8 Back Extensions

Stats: 6:20, 59 Cals, 116 BPM

Conditioning: Metcon
8 1-minute rounds for max reps of:
20 seconds of body blasters
Rest 10 seconds
20 seconds of DB clean and jerks, 2x30 lb
Rest 10 seconds

Stats: 8:00, 104 Cals, 153 BPM

Comments: Kept the weight pretty light on strength. Threw in 100-Meter LISS between rounds to finish my 1 mile for the morning. My knee was bugging me a little on deads. Great… Accessory was pretty easy. The metcon was a pretty good ball buster. Nothing but effort for 8 minutes. Might try to surf at lunchtime but it is COOOOOLLLLDDDD.

Have a good day!

3 Likes

Good looking deload day Trent.

If it is nearly as cold up there as it is down here, there is no way I would be going anywhere near the ocean!

Thanks Shane. Yeah, I was slammed at work yesterday. Didn’t end up going surfing. The cold helped with that decision. :cold_face:

BW: 179.4 (Pasta night)
Yesterday’s Net: -

LISS: 2.5 Miles, 50:00, 600 Cals

Surfing: Blockade Runner Hotel
1:02:20, 510 Cals, 112 BPM

Comments: Did some LISS this morning and worked on the laptop while I walked. Then, went surfing early this afternoon. The waves were waist to chest high and clean. It rained off and on the entire time. It was kind of a weird wave. Right at the peak it would jack up and get really steep but from there on out it softened really quickly. The peaks were a steep drop and the edges were pretty much unmakeable. Still managed to grab a handful of waves in an hour and get back to the office. Good calorie dump if anything. I couldn’t decide which board to take out, right up to changing into my wetsuit in the street. I knew the steep drops would be tough for the potato (new board). So I grabbed the shortboard, which has less volume and doesn’t provide as much paddling power. Then had to bank on being in the perfect spot every time, which only happened about 5 times. It was just one of those days…

3 Likes

BW: 178.8
Yesterday’s Net: -250

LISS: 1 Mile, 20:00, 200 Cals

Conditioning: Metcon
5 rounds for time of:
20 box squats
15 dumbbell snatches, 2x30 lb
10 pull-ups

Stats: 19:58, 225 Cals, 133 BPM

Comments: Woke up pretty tired this morning. Yesterday was a long day and I didn’t sleep well last night. It didn’t help that this morning was the kids first day back at school so I had to wake up early (on time really). Either way, this was a struggle. Got it done. Might try to surf today. We’ll see how it goes…

2 Likes

Nice couple of days as calorie torching. You are certainly taking advantage of living near the beach. As you should be!

Solid metcon as this morning. Good luck if you get to catch some waves today.

Thanks Shane. The eating definitely isn’t allowing me to drop a lot of pounds. I just have a hard time starving myself in the wintertime. Thanks on the metcon. It was a decent one. Hopefully I’ll get out in the water today.

BW: 178.4
Yesterday’s Net: -100

LISS: 2 Miles, 40:00, 440 Cals

Bro Work
4 Rounds:
12 Calve Raises
8 Straight Bar Curls, 65 lb
8 Tricep Extensions, 2x30 lb DB’s
8 Hanging Leg Raises

Stats: 12:25, 88 Cals, 118 BPM

Comments: Just torching calories followed by some shameless bro work. Done.

3 Likes

Solid 40 minute cal dump and bro workout Trent. Try to stay warm! It is damn cold down here today!

Thanks Shane. Yeah man, our high today is in the low 40’s with a howling Northwest (frigid) wind. Wore my old man sweater to work today. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It was definitely old man sweater weather!

1 Like

BW: 178.0
Yesterday’s Net: +300

Conditioning: Distance Run. Outdoor. Paved.
5 Miles, 42:56, 8:35 Pace, 632 Cals, 158 BPM

Comments: The wind chill was 25 at the beginning of this run. I normally would have skipped this one but I am damn determined to get this weight off. Wore my long johns, toboggan and even put on some of my Carhartt gloves, which I took off a mile down the road. Not sure what it is about running in the cold. I always bring gloves and take them off every time, no matter how cold it is. That was a good run and I wasn’t all that cold. More calories torched. More weight off.

Have a good weekend!

2 Likes

Nice run Trent. 25 degrees is definitely damn cold to go hit a run. At least you got it done fast! Great pace on that 5 miles!

1 Like

Thanks Shane. It was good to get out there and get it done.

BW: 179.0
Yesterday’s Net: +500

LISS: 1 Mile, 20:00, 220 Cals

531 Cycle 3 – Week 1

Box Squat
5x95
5x115
5x135
5x165
5x185
5+x205: 5 (had more but lots of stuff hurting)

Bench
10x95
8x115
6x135
5x155
5x175
5+x195: 5 (that was it)

Stats: 25:25, 155 Cals, 99 BPM

Accessory
4 Rounds:
8 Goblet Squats, 80 lb
8 Bench Press, 135 lb
6 Decline Ring Rows
8 GHD Sit-ups

Stats: 11:46, 94 Cals, 100 BPM

Conditioning: Intervals/Sprints
4 Rounds while wearing a 20 lb weight vest:
5 Body Blasters
100-Meter LISS

Stats: 10:51, 127 Cals, 138 BPM

Comments:

Random: Slept like shit last night. Our neighbor was over yesterday afternoon and told us about how both the man and wife that used to own our house died (separately) in the house. Not sure about him but she died in our bedroom last year (of ALS). I knew that they had both passed and figured that they died in the house but hadn’t officially heard it from anyone until yesterday. It is a little weird I guess. I know I had a hard time going back into the room that my dad died in. At least right after it happened. I actually slept in that bed again years after the fact a few times, but the weirdness had worn off by then. Oh well, it is comforting to know that they were very nice people and I’m sure they would hate it if they knew it weirded us out. I guess death is just part of life. A while back I googled this topic and found a lot of responses from people who bought older homes, especially in Europe. It was almost a foregone conclusion for them and didn’t bother them at all. Many people prefer to die at home and that was about the only option until the not-so-distant past. I would imagine that this will become more and more common as our country gets older.

Session: Felt decent despite a crappy night’s sleep. Maybe the bug I had last week/omicron has moved on from me? Squats were tough after my run on Saturday. My knee and hip were sore. I stopped at 5 reps on my last set. Bench felt decent. The last set was definitely T&G. Accessory was solid. Those ring rows were done with my feet on the wall behind the rack. My feet were about 12” over my head. Not easy… The vested body blasters and LISS were tough as well.

Done.

2 Likes