TM79's Training Journal

Thanks Shane!

1 Like

They were bugging my wrists for a while too. I think I must have stopped doing something else that may have actually been aggravating them more and now they don’t bother me too much. :joy:

1 Like

BW: 175.6
Yesterday’s Output: 3,132
Yesterday’s Intake: 3,432
Net: +300

LISS – 15% Incline
1.5 Miles, 30:00, 375 Cals
*30 Minute Break – Drop kid off at school
1 Mile, 20:00, 250 Cals

Comments: Got some surfing in this weekend. Woke up early Saturday and drove up to Topsail Island for dawn patrol. Surfed at the missile tower for two hours. Caught some chest – head high sets and managed to not get eaten by the multitude of sea life that seemed to be swimming all around me. If the fish that were being chased were 2 feet long then I don’t want to know what was chasing them… At one point a pelican landed 10 feet away from me and I saw him catch and swallow a pretty big fish. The waves mostly closed out but I did manage to get a few turns in. The shortboarding may have improved slightly so that’s good. Surfed again yesterday during our family day at the beach. Rode the longboard for that one. Good stuff…

LISS: Almost did another training week but I’ve already run through all of the rep schemes I usually do in a cycle except for 4x10 and I know that wouldn’t be kind to the joints. I’m just going to take the week off and burn some calories.

3 Likes

Nice cal dump! Yeah, surfing out there with the fish I am sure can get interesting at times. That is cool about the Pelican. They are fun to watch.

Good luck with your deload week. :slight_smile:

Thanks brother. Yeah, the wild life definitely adds a level of entertainment to it. :joy:

BW: 176.6
Yesterday’s Output: 3,320
Yesterday’s Intake: 3,120
Net: -200

Conditioning: Metcon
Workout 12.3 (Subbed)
Complete as many rounds as possible in 22 minutes of:

15 box squats while holding a 30 lb dumbbell (sub for box jumps)
12 dumbbell push presses, 2x40 lb
9 toes-to-bars

Stats: 7 Rounds, 219 Cals, 114 BPM

Comments: I’ve just been doing LISS and stretching/mobility all week so no reason to bore anyone with that. Decided to do a metcon today to keep the gears greased. This one wasn’t too bad. I had to sub box squats for box jumps as box jumps hurt my feet. Also I did DB push presses instead of barbell push presses as I can’t do both push presses and toes to bar on my rack. Decent metcon. It was supposed to be 18 minutes. I added an additional 4 minutes. Hoping to get some surf in today. It is stormy and choppy but there may be something to ride.

3 Likes

Nice metcon Trent. Throw some mobility work in there for me tomorrow! I know I need it. :sunglasses:

Thanks Shane. Ha ha, that’s funny you mention the mobility work. It never seems to loosen anything up. It’s just another way to get sore and tight… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

BW: 176.2
Yesterday’s Output: 3,167
Yesterday’s Intake: 3,322
Net: +155

LISS – 15% Incline
1.75 Miles, 35:00, 435 Cals

Comments: Paddled out on my lunch break yesterday with Davis. Surfed for about an hour and caught a handful of waves in the stomach – chest high range. It was choppy but the faces were somewhat clean. It was good to practice on the shortboard. Had a great time.

Just torching calories this morning and I’ll probably go surfing after I drop my daughter off at school. Then it’s off to work. Have a good day!

3 Likes

BW: 176.6
Yesterday’s Output: 2,792
Yesterday’s Intake: 3,260
Net: +468

Warmup: LISS – 15% Incline
1 Miles, 20:00, 250 Cals

Box Squats
10x115
8x135
8x155
8x175

Bench
10x115
8x135
8x155
8x165

Stats: 19:20, 144 Cals, 110 BPM

Conditioning: Surfing – Holiday Inn. Wrightsville Beach
50:00, 50:00, 380 Cals

Comments: I have surfed for 5 straight days now and there is still a wave out there this morning. This has been a good run and I have definitely noticed an improvement in both short and longboarding. The problem is, I am not exactly feeling rested and my foot/other joints are hurting. Going to start this cycle anyway and hope for the best. I am planning to do one week of volume, then may run 4 weeks of 5-3-1, then another week of volume. We’ll see how my body handles 5-3-1.

Strength: The squats and bench both felt good and strong. I was pretty surprised. I finished up strength right at 7:30AM and had to take my daughter to school.

Surfing: After dropping my daughter off, I drove to the beach and checked my usual low/mid tide spot, near Blockade Runner hotel. It didn’t look that good honestly. Pretty much flat with a set coming in here and there. I was going to just go home but decided to go check up near the north end. So I drove up to Holiday Inn and it looked much better. There wasn’t another car in the parking lot and barely anyone else was out in the water. I surfed for almost an hour and it was one of the best longboard sessions of my life. The sets were in the stomach high range with a rare chest high wave once in a while. I would catch a wave, paddle back out, wait 20 seconds, then catch another wave, and so on… I was legitimately out of breath for a lot of that session. Caught some really fun waves with long lines and worked on “hanging five.” Never got my foot all the way to the nose but got close a few times and was able to backpedal before pearling when the wave died out. At one point, I caught a nice-sized set wave that was probably 15 seconds or longer in duration. I went from one end of the hotel property to the other. Such a great time. Man I am glad we moved back here…

Didn’t get to do accessory this morning. I will try to get it done later today or later this week.

2 Likes

That is the best kind of “training” man, a sport or activity that you truly enjoy and has the side benefit of keeping you in shape. :slight_smile: Sounds like a great time!

Nice squats and bench session as well.

Thanks Shane. Couldn’t agree more. There is nothing better than that. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

BW: 176.8
Yesterday’s Output: 3,252
Yesterday’s Intake: 3,052
Net: -200

(Superset)
Hex Deads
10x165
8x185
8x205
8x225

Overhead Press
10x65
8x75
8x85
8x95

Pull-ups
10xBW
8xBW
8xBW
8xBW

Stats: 20:10, 178 Cals, 120 BPM

Accessory
4 Rounds:
10 RDLs, 115 lb
10 Hex Bar OHP, 45 lb
8 Pull-ups
12 Back Extensions

Stats: 9:50, 129 Cals, 144 BPM

Conditioning: Out of Time…

Comments: First time doing OHP/Pull-ups/Deads after surfing for several days in a row. My shoulders/arms/back/lower back were all pretty worn out so that made this one much more difficult than it should have been. Got it done. Accessory was interesting. First time trying Hex Bar OHP. That has a very different feel to it. On the first set, I stood in the middle of the bar before realizing that wasn’t going to work for OHP. :man_facepalming:t3: Had to pick it up in front of me and put it over head. That would likely keep me from ever going heavy on that lift. Ran out of time before the metcon so I will have to make that up. Have a good day!

3 Likes

Nice volume on that workout Trent. I have seen people use the hex bar for overhead press, but like you, I have never tried it. How you describe getting the bar overhead that is pretty impressive to get that much weight slung into position. I would probably knock myself out trying. LoL.

Great job on the pull ups!

I would only do that in a rack, unless the difficulty is part of the exercise for you.

Thanks Shane. Yeah, I hit the back of my head at one point but not the front. (Rule Number 1: No touching of the hair or face.) :joy:

Nah, I was just wanting to try something different. The hex bar is shorter but may fit on my safeties. I’ll have to check.

BW: 176.0
Yesterday’s Output: 3,059
Yesterday’s Intake: 2,881
Net: -168

Conditioning: Metcon

Cameron (Subbed)
For time:
50 walking lunge steps
25 chest-to-bar pull-ups
50 box jumps (Sub box squats holding 30 lb DB)
25 triple-unders (Sub standing high jump)
50 back extensions
25 ring dips
50 knees-to-elbows
25 wall-ball “2-fer-1s” (Sub 45 lb thrusters)
20 Minute Pause to take kid to school
50 sit-ups
5 rope climbs, 15 ft. (Sub 25 pull-ups with knees tucked)

Stats: 34:32, 389 Cals, 127 BPM

Comments: Ended up with some elbow pain and clicking in my left elbow after yesterday’s session. My guess is it is overuse from all of the surfing and then lifting on top of it. Going to try and work though it.

Metcon: Didn’t notice any elbow pain during the entire metcon. Then it came back right when I was done and started typing. Ha ha… Hopefully it goes away soon. That was a good metcon. Had to sub some things to make up for equipment/injuries. Didn’t quite finish before taking my daughter to school so I had to come home and finish up the last little bit.

There is still a nice little long board wave hanging around. I may try to paddle out this morning if I can. Have a good day!

3 Likes

That metcon definitely had it all man! Very impressive! Which one of your elbows is hurting? My left has started giving me hell again.

Thanks brother. It’s the left elbow that’s giving me grief. I’m thinking it has to be the surfing as that is the big change that has occurred lately…