TKL.ca 5x5 Training Log

If it’s ok, I’d like to post my training log here for my first ever periodized lifting routine. I know, periodization is probably overkill, but I have the next 9 weeks until I’m back at school, so I thought I’d give this a try. Plus it would be of great motivation to myself if I can post my workouts every week and at the end do a big comparison.

I’m still a beginner, here are my stats:

Height: 5’10"
Weight: 142.0 lbs (YES I KNOW, I WILL EAT MORE)
Bodyfat: lean? I don’t know/don’t care

Bench 185
Squat 205
Deadlift 225 x 5
Pullups bw x 15
Standing BB OHP 95 x 1
BB Pendlay Rows 135 x 5
Squat Rack Curls … just kidding

The lifts? Could use a huge improvement for sure.

Diet: absolutely horrendous/random. I’m talking maybe 3000 calories one day, 500 the next, 1800 the next, etc.

I won’t post pictures right now, but I will at the end of the program for a comparison shot.

I completed my first workout today, I’ll post that now:

Olympic Squats

135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5

Benchpress

65 x 5
85 x 5
95 x 5
115 x 5
135 x 5

Pendlay Rows

bar x 5
65 x 5
75 x 5
95 x 5
115 x 5

Bodyweight: 142.0 lbs

[quote]TKL.ca wrote:
Diet: absolutely horrendous/random. I’m talking maybe 3000 calories one day, 500 the next, 1800 the next, etc.[/quote]
I almost want to tell you not to bother lifting if this is how you eat. Seriously man, can you at least try to get over 1,500 calories each day? That’s really not asking alot…at all…really.

Also, why did you keep the same weight on the squats, but increase on the other lifts?

Good luck bro keep us posted how it goes

Light Olympic Squats

115 x 5
115 x 5
115 x 5
115 x 5
115 x 5

Deadlifts

185 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 5

Pullups

bw x 5
bw x 5
bw x 5
bw x 5
bw x 5

Standing BB Overhead Press

85 x 5
85 x 5
85 x 5
85 x 5
85 x 5

How are you structuring your 5x5 workouts? Are you just shooting for all 25 reps with a given weight, and then increasing? Or are you just getting 5 sets of 5 done, and increasing weight when you can?

You might want to check out Dan John’s 5x5 article, for some cool variations:
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-076-training

Here’s the workout plan:

Loading/Volume (Weeks 1-4)

Exercise Sets x Reps
Details

Monday
Squat 5x5
Bench 1x5
Barbell Row 1x5

Wednesday
Squat 5x5
10-20% less than Monday
Deadlift 5x5
Incline or Military 5x5
Pullups 3x3

Friday
Squat 1x5
Bench 5x5
Row 5x5

However my days of working out are off set a bit, but basically ON/OFF/ON/OFF/ON/OFF/OFF

Pure Deload (Weeks 5-6 or Extended)

Exercise Sets x Reps
Details

Monday
Squat 3x3
Bench 3x3
Barbell Row 3x3

Wednesday or Thursday
Squat 3x3
30% less than Monday
Deadlift 3x3
Incline or Military 3x3

On a side note, my eating has been improved greatly.  I think my shitty diet was due to being dehydrated to some degree, and when it would come time to eat, I'd just guzzle down milk/juice/pop/whatever.  

145.6 lbs

Good call on the 5x5. Whenever my progress has stalled I can always go back to the 5x5 and get some good results. It just works, plain and simple. Eat like horse, and eat consistently, and you’ll grow.

i see your on bill stars advanced program. because you havent been lifting all that long you could probly make just as good or even better results with his intermediate program.

Yeah, I looked at his linear program, and I can honestly say that the periodized version is less complicated. I think it’s a bit more fun too. haha :smiley:

Squats

95 x 5
115 x 5
125 x 5
135 x 5
145 x 5

Benchpress

135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5

Pendlay Rows

115 x 5
115 x 5
115 x 5
115 x 5
115 x 5

not a bad workout.  hardest exercise of the day had to be the rows, due to the fact that it probably works my abs/spinal erectors a lot as well, due to the fact that I have to keep fairly rigid form.  

EDIT:  146.5lbs

I haven’t updated in my log in awhile, but things are goin good, I should finish the program around the 3rd week of september.

I’m up to 153lbs now, which is nice, and im only into the 4th week.

I’ll post all the results when I’m finished. :smiley:

5x5 and periodization is overkill if you are a beginner.

You could just do the same basic workout every time and add the pounds everytime.

AND EAT MORE, and more consistently. Just add a single big shake or something and do that daily, and then work on sorting out the rest of your crazy diet.

5x5 is great when you have already stalled on the absolute beginner phase of simply piling on the pounds again and again.

But what you are doing is probably going to be fine, also you are headed in the right direction, good on you.

I just finished week 4 of the volume/loading phase. Next week is a deload week, then I go into intensity/deload for 4 weeks.

Quick Recap:

Bodyweight: 140lbs → 155lbs

Benchpress: 5x5 @ 135lbs → 5x5 @ 160lbs

Deadlift: 5x5 @ 155lbs → 5x5 @ 205lbs

Squat: 5x5 @ 145lbs → 5x5 @ 170lbs

BB OHP: 5x5 @ 85lbs → 5x5 @ 105lbs

Pullups: 5x5 @ bw → 5x5 @ bw

I’m really excited about my progress in the last 4 weeks. I actually can’t wait to finished up the other 4 weeks of 3x3 and then give it a go again.

Some of my goals:

275lb x 3 deadlift @ the end of the program

185lb bench @ the end of the program

225 x 3 squat @ the end of the program.

135lb OHP

End bodyweight of around 160lbs

We’ll see what happens the next few weeks, maybe my goals are underestimates? :slight_smile:

That’s great news :slight_smile: how many weeks are you on the program as of today? Once you’re done with your 5x5 and 3x3, PM me and I’ll gladly writeup your next program

as of today, 4 weeks.

5 more weeks to go.

Great progess!

How is your eating now?

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
Great progess!

How is your eating now?[/quote]

Way better as opposed to when I started. I don’t really have a set diet, but I get about

3 big meals a day: ~600 calories

1 home-made weight-gainer shake: ~1000 calories

4 snacks a day: ~400 calories

although I think after I near 160 I’ll have to up it significantly, but from what I see so far I’m not gaining fat. I filled out a bit in the chest, shoulders, quads, and lats. My arms seem the same, but my forearms are a little bigger now.

Hmmmm that still sounds pretty low.

I would think you should have at least 3000 a day.

If you eat clean you should not add much fat at all, and will have better muscle gains. IMO

Also try throwing in a protein shake in between your meals and before bed.

BTW how much protein are you getting?

Is it okay to add 1 or 2 isolation exercises at the end of each workout? I’m about to finish the current program I’m on and I’d like to give the 5x5 a shot. The reason I ask is my biceps/triceps are really weak (I know that as a n00b i’m weak all over… but my triceps are really holding back my bench).

Great progress TKL :slight_smile: hope my question doesn’t hi-jack your thread.

I’ll for sure take that suggestion. The bottom line is I just need to eat more. I think in the last 4 weeks I can really focus on that.

As for isolation during the 5x5… If you’re doing the periodized version, lay off on isolation during the volume/loading phase, since you’re gonna be owned.

Then during the intensity/deload phase, throw in some curls, tricep exercises, etc. You’ll have more energy, and you can also get a lot done in those 4 weeks too.

Keep in mind also that with all that pressing and pulling every week, your arms are going to take a pounding.