T Nation

TKDM's Training Log

Alright, so here's my deal:

Just coming back into the game after a fair bit of time out due to a good healthy shoulder dislocation. My Doc and physiotherapist have finally given me the ok to start exercising again, which couldnâ??t make me happier. After so much time of sitting at home and being depressed over my injury, I look forward to working out again.

Objective of this journal:
I have never been one to keep a serious log of my exercise activities, except for writing down weights in my notebook (when I donâ??t forget it at home). My hope is that through this journal I will be able to accomplish the following:
-To hold myself more accountable for actively participating in a training program
-Provide an accurate method of measuring my progress
-Provide a venue where I can receive feedback or participate in dialogue with other members who might be going through some of the same things as me

Objectives of my routine:
I am an avid rock climber, so strength-to-weight and general fitness levels are important factors to me.

With those in mind, my short-term objectives are as follows:
-Rehabilitate and regain strength with my right shoulder
-Recover lost muscle from time spent resting and recovering
-Return to previous level of fitness pre-injury

My long-term objectives are:
-Increase overall muscle strength and density, while trying to maintain a reasonable strength/weight ratio
-Increase muscle definition (there is always one vanity objective, right?)
-Increase range of exercises to include injury "proofing" or "reduction"
-Have fun!

Thatâ??s it for now, will update soon with current stats, photo's, ect.

Cheers,

TKDM

Basic starting stats:

Weight: 180.6
Height: 6ft

Back

Side

22/06/09

First workout since the injury. I’m now using a variation of my old plan, with a focus on lighter weight with higher reps in order to help re-build stabilizers on r-shoulder, and well generally get back into the game.

Warm-up
10 min bike ride, 60% effort

Incline DB Press
10lb x 20
15lb x 20
15lb x 20
15lb x 15
15lb x 20

BD Press
15lb x 20
20lb x 20
20lb x 20
20lb x 15

Shoulder Machine - Close Grip
Normally I hate using this thing, and much prefer standard military press or shoulder presses, but I thought the increased stabilization would help my shoulder.
20lb x 20
30lb x 20
30lb x 20

Tricep Pushdowns - Rope
Unable to Complete

Hanging Knee-Raises

Notes:
-Not sure if it was the acupuncture that I had in the morning or what, but r-shoulder seemed stiff the entire time, and was unable to loosen or relax through stretching
-The leveraging forces from the tricep pushdowns were too much for my shoulder, and I was unable to do, even at minimal weight. Tried it with a straight bar as well, but no luck.
-Need to find new shoulder warms-ups, as I am unable to twist my arm, or do a full rotation.

25/06/09

Wow, I must say I haven’t had a workout that left me as emotionally down as this one did in a long time. Maybe it was the acupuncture this morning, or maybe I just thought that I was farther along in my recovery than I actually was, but my shoulder just wouldn’ cooperate today. Even doing the 5lb lateral shoulder raises were straining to the point where I felt nauseous and my entire body started shaking. I was not pushing it to where it hurt or felt like it could possible do any damage; it was just the fact that I was using the muscles that felt so taxing on my body. Unfortunately, as that was my second exercise, it really destroyed my mindset for the entire session to the point were I almost called it quits and left a few times.

I’m not sure if anyone is actually reading this, but do any of you have any advice for dealing with the mental challenges of coming back after a major injury?
I could seriously use some advice…

Front Squats
45lb x 20
55lb x 15
55lb x 15

Lateral Shoulder Raises
5 x 10
5 x 10
5 x 10

Bent Over Row
20 x 20
25 x 20
25 x 20
30 x 20

Upright Rows
20 x 20
20 x 20
20 x 20
20 x 20

Barbell Curls
30 x 20
30 x 20
30 x 20

Knee Raises

29/06/09

My gym partner and myself put together a new program that should hopefully help him overcome his plateaus and out scheduling problems, while still accommodating my shoulder rehab into exercise selection.
New program is to run M/T/T/F, and I must say that if I feel as good after every work out as I did after todays, well then I will have a fantastic road to recovery. Todays workout was an absolute pleasure, and I had tones of energy throughout the whole session, and left in a great mood.
Definitely a far cry from last week!

Warm-up
10 min run @ 6.5 mph

Dumbbell Bench Press: 3 x 6-10rep: 3 sec TUT
30 x 10
30 x 10
32.5 x 10

Incline Bench Press: 3 x 6-10rep: 3 sec TUT
-Had to use a heavy resistance band, due to pain in R-Shoulder

Dumbbell Flyâ??s: 3 x 12
5 x 12
7.5 x 12
10 x 12

Barbell Curl: 2 x 6
60 x 6
60 x 6

Hammer Curls: 2 x 7: 4 sec TUT
25 x 7
30 x 7

Reverse Grip EZ Bar Curl: 2 x 12
30 x 12
40 x 14

Hanging Knee Raises

02/07/09

Missed Tuesdays workout due to a work obligation. Stupid, I know, but by the time I could get away my gym was closed. Oh well.

Pretty intense day today for my shoulder. Had a 2 hour physio appointment in the morning, with my shoulders and abs workout in the evening. Had a great workout, but I seriously felt like puking by the end, so I think I will start putting physio on days without upper body workouts.

AM

Shoulder Medial Rotation (Internal Rotation) w/ electric muscle stimulation on R-Shoulder
-Heavy tensor band
3 minutes
3 minutes
3 minutes

Shoulder Lateral Rotation (External Rotation) w/ electric muscle stimulation on R-Shoulder

-Heavy tensor band
3 minutes
3 minutes
3 minutes

Popeyes

Depth Push Up w/ 65cm Exercise Ball

PM

Military Press: 4x6-8: 3 TUT
45 x 8
45 x 8
55 x 8
60 x 8

Lateral Raises: 3x10: 4 TUT
5 x 10
7.5 x 10
10 x 10

Dumbbell Upright Rows: 3 x 8
15 x 8
20 x 8
20 x 8

Heavy Weighted Abs: 2 x 10
25 x 10
17.5 x 10

Hanging Leg Raises: 2 x AMAP

Notes:
REALLY felt it in my shoulder today. I can definitely feel the progress being made, and considering its only been 1 month since complete dislocation I feel pretty good, but I think the 2 workouts (unintentional, I just do what the physiotherapist says, haha) today really pushed me beyond the level I should be training at. Definitely something to keep in mind moving forward.

03/07/09

Wow, what energy I had today! By the time I got to the gym, I felt like I had the ability to strangle a mountain ox!
Unfortunately, fate would seem to want me to waste said energy, as when I got to the gym, it turns out that the management there decided to change their hours for the summer and close 2 hours early, starting today. Oh yeah, they forgot to tell everyone.
That being said, I still feel like I had a great workout, considering it was crushed into 30 minutes.

Deadlift: 4 x 6
135 x 8
185 x 6
185 x 6
190 x 6 (new personal best)

Pull Ups (assisted): 4 AMAP

130 x 12
90 x 14
50 x 9
Did not complete so I could move on to another exercise

Bent Over Row: 4 x 6
60 x 6