Tito....Highest Paid Fighter of All Time?

Forrest had the opportunity to end the Tito fight and he didn’t, he’s admitted that. You know what they say. However, IMO Forrest would beat Tito handily now. In the same sense, Tito should have ended the Machida fight but chose to submission link instead of hold on tight.

Either way, Forrest and Machida are two of the top LHWs in the game and it’s a tough list for Tito to re-enter. Babulu’s submission game is wicked and that guy goes balls out every time he steps into the ring. He would have ended the last fight with his guillotine if it was in a cage and not a ring. Should be a good match up, but even with a solid win I don’t see Tito’s name coming close to being mentioned in that stacked LHW category.

[quote]dhickey wrote:
Frank Shamrock and Tito would be interesting. I think tito would be outclassed in that one. Frank is past his prime but still moves well and very well rounded. Talk about clash of the egos.[/quote]

Frank’s body is just too beat up to handle Tito at this point in his career, IMO. Their first fight was one of the best fights in MMA history though as far as I’m concerned. Before that everyone thought Tito was just going to roll through the competition on his way to a title. It was also the first time anybody ever caused Tito to run out of gas, and maybe with the exception of Randy, the only time period.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Jack_Dempsey wrote: I would pick Babalu over Tito, though.

Why? I really want to hear your theory.

Babalu is a grappler. Is Babalu going to take Ortiz down? How?

When was the last time Ortiz was swept in a fight? When was the last time Oritz was submitted? TKO’ed via ground-and-pound?

What’s your theory of how the fight will go down?

[/quote]

Who knows. Maybe similar to Ortiz/Frank Shamrock, except when Tito runs out of gas against Babalu he gets submitted instead of tapping out from punches. I don’t think Tito is the same fighter he once was and recently has seemed more interested in being a celebrity than a fighter. I think his lingering back and knee problems will catch up to him sooner rather than later – probably in the middle of a fight.

[quote]Quinnthology wrote:
Forrest had the opportunity to end the Tito fight and he didn’t, he’s admitted that. You know what they say. However, IMO Forrest would beat Tito handily now. In the same sense, Tito should have ended the Machida fight but chose to submission link instead of hold on tight.

Either way, Forrest and Machida are two of the top LHWs in the game and it’s a tough list for Tito to re-enter. Babulu’s submission game is wicked and that guy goes balls out every time he steps into the ring. He would have ended the last fight with his guillotine if it was in a cage and not a ring. Should be a good match up, but even with a solid win I don’t see Tito’s name coming close to being mentioned in that stacked LHW category.[/quote]

I’ve watched that Forrest-Tito fight several times and I find it kind of surprising that Forrest would say something like that. He never had Tito in any danger in that fight, so I’m not sure what missed opportunity he’s talking about.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
Quinnthology wrote:

Either way, Forrest and Machida are two of the top LHWs in the game and it’s a tough list for Tito to re-enter. Babulu’s submission game is wicked and that guy goes balls out every time he steps into the ring. He would have ended the last fight with his guillotine if it was in a cage and not a ring. Should be a good match up, but even with a solid win I don’t see Tito’s name coming close to being mentioned in that stacked LHW category.

I’ve watched that Forrest-Tito fight several times and I find it kind of surprising that Forrest would say something like that. He never had Tito in any danger in that fight, so I’m not sure what missed opportunity he’s talking about.[/quote]

They replayed the fight on Spike last night. I didn’t see that he had Tito in trouble at all.

[quote]
Quinnthology wrote:

Djwlfpack wrote:
I’ve watched that Forrest-Tito fight several times and I find it kind of surprising that Forrest would say something like that. He never had Tito in any danger in that fight, so I’m not sure what missed opportunity he’s talking about.[/quote]

Forrest was referring to an early low kick where he saw Tito’s leg buckle (I believe Tito had suffered a leg injury prior to the fight) and he decided to leave the leg alone rather than win by taking out a bad knee.

What can you say, Forrest is a nice guy…even when he’s trying to knock you out! :slight_smile:

[quote]Jack_Dempsey wrote: Who knows. Maybe similar to Ortiz/Frank Shamrock, except when Tito runs out of gas against Babalu he gets submitted instead of tapping out from punches.
[/quote]

When has Ortiz been submitted? Name the fight.

When was the last fight Ortiz ran out of gas?

Please continue posting. For some strange reason, your ignorance is amusing me.

Right. The sheer stupidity of the average MMA fan is amazing. People can’t watch fights. They think it’s pro wrestling, so all they care about is their favorite “superstar.”

I love it, too, when people say Ortiz should have lost that fight.

The way fights are scored, the person who gets the takedown wins. Ortiz won a round, Griffin won a round, Ortiz got the takedown in the third.

Putting so much emphasis on a takedown might be a stupid way to score fights. I tend to think it is. But that’s the way fights are consistently scored. Under that model, Ortiz won that fight.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
dhickey wrote:
Frank Shamrock and Tito would be interesting. I think tito would be outclassed in that one. Frank is past his prime but still moves well and very well rounded. Talk about clash of the egos.

Frank’s body is just too beat up to handle Tito at this point in his career, IMO. Their first fight was one of the best fights in MMA history though as far as I’m concerned.

Before that everyone thought Tito was just going to roll through the competition on his way to a title. It was also the first time anybody ever caused Tito to run out of gas, and maybe with the exception of Randy, the only time period.[/quote]

People expected Tito to win that fight against Shamrock? News to me.

OMC

Jack_Dempsey wrote: Who knows. Maybe similar to Ortiz/Frank Shamrock, except when Tito runs out of gas against Babalu he gets submitted instead of tapping out from punches.

When was the last fight Ortiz ran out of gas?

Please continue posting. For some strange reason, your ignorance is amusing me.[/quote]

He was submitted by Guy Mezger. Irrelevant.

As impressed as I am with Tito’s recent losses, his fence-grabbing draw, his victories over punch-drunk fossil Ken Shamrock and his other razor-thin split decision victories, I am still going to go out on a limb and put money on Babalu. (And since I am ignorant and you’re really, really smart, here’s hoping he’s a 100-to-1 underdog.)

Tito hasn’t been impressive in a couple of years (at least)…he could show some ring rust…His shots have seemed less explosive…He may have knee and back issues…He may eventually lose a step or three…it happens…or he may have a great training camp and wind up dry humping Babalu to an easy decision.

That would be a better time for you to come on here and tell everybody how smart you are.

Zap Branigan wrote:They replayed the fight on Spike last night. I didn’t see that he had Tito in trouble at all.

Right. The sheer stupidity of the average MMA fan is amazing. People can’t watch fights. They think it’s pro wrestling, so all they care about is their favorite “superstar.”

The way fights are scored, the person who gets the takedown wins. Ortiz won a round, Griffin won a round, Ortiz got the takedown in the third.

Putting so much emphasis on a takedown might be a stupid way to score fights. I tend to think it is. But that’s the way fights are consistently scored. Under that model, Ortiz won that fight.

[/quote]

No one said Tito lost the fight dude. It has nothing to do with scoring. Read Ruggerlife’s post. It was when he leg kicked Tito and his leg buckled like Rampage’s did and he ignored it. You can tell from his last fight that he knows what to do with that leg now.

[quote]Jack_Dempsey wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:

[/quote]

lol.

CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:They replayed the fight on Spike last night. I didn’t see that he had Tito in trouble at all.

No one said Tito lost the fight dude. It has nothing to do with scoring. Read Ruggerlife’s post. It was when he leg kicked Tito and his leg buckled like Rampage’s did and he ignored it. You can tell from his last fight that he knows what to do with that leg now. [/quote]

You should’ve made that clearer in your original post, then.

And, Tito’s leg was injured coming into that fight (it was taped up) so it’s not really shocking that he buckled from a routine leg kick.

Jack_Dempsey wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:

lol.
[/quote]

Thank god somebody finally said it…I was starting to lose faith. Your also right though, the Tito back then was 100% one dimensional so it has no bearing on his upcoming fight.

OMC

[/quote]

The reason Tito “chose” to go for the armbar is because Machida was slipping out of the triangle. Tito didnt drop the ball on that one, Lyoto just did a great job of rolling, and the fact that it was the 3rd round and they were both slippery certainly helped.

Ortiz definitely won that fight.
He completely raped Griffin in the first round.
Griffin managed to keep the fight standing in the 2nd, but never did anything from it. Yes he landed some good punches and combinations, but Tito got in a few good hits of his own. Griffin takes the 2nd round because he landed more punches than Tito did. Tito looked like he was barely putting effort into his shots.

Tito gets the third round because he was the only one who did anything that round

The fact that we have 30 some posts already about a fighter simply signing a deal shows why Tito is a good buy. Love him, hate him, think he’s washed up or viable, Tito is the only possible guy Affliction could sign to get this kind of attention.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
The fact that we have 30 some posts already about a fighter simply signing a deal shows why Tito is a good buy. Love him, hate him, think he’s washed up or viable, Tito is the only possible guy Affliction could sign to get this kind of attention.[/quote]

Hit the nail on the head.

OMC

Good for Tito! The UFC is cool, but their time is running out, they have an outdated business model that screws fighters, and clearly gives us very very limited fights.

I mean come on, how many time do we have to see the same fighters fight the same fighters, wait for someone new to sign and then watch them fight the same fighters. Horodecki just signed with Affliction as well.

He sees the future of this sport is going to be out of the UFC. The UFC is becoming about as reputable as the WWE, they have 3 stars that they are banking on right now, and thats it. (GSP, Silva, Penn) and if they don’t get it right with them, they are done.

[quote]Clark Banner wrote:
Good for Tito! The UFC is cool, but their time is running out, they have an outdated business model that screws fighters, and clearly gives us very very limited fights.

I mean come on, how many time do we have to see the same fighters fight the same fighters, wait for someone new to sign and then watch them fight the same fighters. Horodecki just signed with Affliction as well.

He sees the future of this sport is going to be out of the UFC. The UFC is becoming about as reputable as the WWE, they have 3 stars that they are banking on right now, and thats it. (GSP, Silva, Penn) and if they don’t get it right with them, they are done. [/quote]

Slightly overstated. Look at the rankings for any weight class. Majority are in the UFC. Who else is as deep?