Titan's Anabolic Diet Offseason

I posted some contest pics about a month ago and toyed with the idea of starting a thread charting my offseason progress on the Anabolic Diet. I recieved a ton of feedback via posts and private messages that people would like to see something like this.

So, here it is. These pics are 6 weeks post contest, 4 weeks into the AD diet. Bodyweight the day of the contest was 195. Bodyweight in the pics is 224. I am eating 6 meals M-F, all high fat/protein. About 3500-400 calories during the week. Weekend carb loads are about 1000g on Sat and 500g Sunday.

Supplements are whey protein, glutamine, creatine, BCAA’s, multi vitamin. If anyone is interested in particulars please ask.

Another

Another

Last One

Good to see someone else bulking on the AD. I’m at 340g pro 180-200g fat a day and having great results. Supps are BCAAs glutamine, vitamins and minerals. I hope I can get bigger than ever.

Hey Titan, awesome work, and glad to see you following up on the offseason diet/workout plans. So you’re currently 224. How are your macro’s breaking down M-F, p/f/c? How much,when in the way of BCAA’s, glutamine, and creatine are you taking? How much of your protein intake comes from whey vs whole foods? Any chance of putting up a typical days food intake/schedule? Thanks.

Hey man,

I’m far from an expert and it’s apparent that you are doing many things right, so please take this post with a grain of salt as it’s a genuine question, not a flame or trolling:

When I was bulking on the AD, I was eating about 4000-4100 a day to get to 180, which is what you’re eating now.

I’m assuming I was correctly following AD protocol during that time (which I lost BF and gained LBM, so I’m inclined to say i did it right)when I ask this:

Why are your calories so low if you’re bulking at 224?

Thanks

AD

[quote]animalmj wrote:
Hey Titan, awesome work, and glad to see you following up on the offseason diet/workout plans. So you’re currently 224. How are your macro’s breaking down M-F, p/f/c? How much,when in the way of BCAA’s, glutamine, and creatine are you taking? How much of your protein intake comes from whey vs whole foods? Any chance of putting up a typical days food intake/schedule? Thanks.[/quote]

Animalmj,

Current macro breakdown is about 55%F, 45%P ,and >1%C M-F. A typical 3500 calorie day would look like this:

#1- 6 Whole eggs, 6 oz chicken, 1 Tbls olive oil

#2- 60g protein shake, 1 Tbls Flax Oil

#3- 12 oz 90% lean beef, 1 cup greens

#4- Same as 2

#5- Same as 2 and 4 but with 1 Tbls EFA oil

#6- 12 oz 90%lean beef, 1 Tbls Olive Oil

I constantly rotate calories between 3000-4000, so on certain days this will change a bit, with additions of natural peanut butter, or more eggs and beef. I take 10g of creatine (5 pre, 5 post) and sip on 15g glutamine while I train. BCAA’s I take with every meal. Hope this helps. Any other questions just ask.

[quote]AlphaDragon wrote:
Hey man,

I’m far from an expert and it’s apparent that you are doing many things right, so please take this post with a grain of salt as it’s a genuine question, not a flame or trolling:

When I was bulking on the AD, I was eating about 4000-4100 a day to get to 180, which is what you’re eating now.

I’m assuming I was correctly following AD protocol during that time (which I lost BF and gained LBM, so I’m inclined to say i did it right)when I ask this:

Thanks

AD[/quote]

AlphaDragon,

I have found that keeping my calories between 3500-4000 is enough to spark lean mass gains. If I go over this, I begin to lay on more fat.

I realize Dr. D’s protocol for “bulking” is to get calories to 20-25 per lb, which for me should be about 4500-5500. However, I think part of the reason I am able to gain with this calorie level is that my weekend calorie counts are sky high.

Its nothing for me to consume upwards of 8,000-10,000 calories on Saturday alone. These meals are relativly “clean” as well. I let myself have 1-2 cheats over the weekend, but nothing extreme. Hope this helps. Any other questions just ask.

[quote]titan strength wrote:
AlphaDragon wrote:
Hey man,

Thanks

AD

AlphaDragon,

I have found that keeping my calories between 3500-4000 is enough to spark lean mass gains. If I go over this, I begin to lay on more fat.

I realize Dr. D’s protocol for “bulking” is to get calories to 20-25 per lb, which for me should be about 4500-5500. However, I think part of the reason I am able to gain with this calorie level is that my weekend calorie counts are sky high.

Its nothing for me to consume upwards of 8,000-10,000 calories on Saturday alone. These meals are relativly “clean” as well. I let myself have 1-2 cheats over the weekend, but nothing extreme. Hope this helps. Any other questions just ask.[/quote]

Fair enough, Titan.

I was actually considering doing basically what you’re doing for the next time I bulk (after I win this stupid bet-thing), so I’m glad to hear it works so well for you.

Although I will ask you what your cheat meals consist of, as you’ve said you don’t get too extreme with it?

Thanks

AD

animalmj wrote:
Hey Titan, awesome work, and glad to see you following up on the offseason diet/workout plans. So you’re currently 224. How are your macro’s breaking down M-F, p/f/c? How much,when in the way of BCAA’s, glutamine, and creatine are you taking? How much of your protein intake comes from whey vs whole foods? Any chance of putting up a typical days food intake/schedule? Thanks.

Animalmj,

Current macro breakdown is about 55%F, 45%P ,and >1%C M-F. A typical 3500 calorie day would look like this:

#1- 6 Whole eggs, 6 oz chicken, 1 Tbls olive oil

#2- 60g protein shake, 1 Tbls Flax Oil

#3- 12 oz 90% lean beef, 1 cup greens

#4- Same as 2

#5- Same as 2 and 4 but with 1 Tbls EFA oil

#6- 12 oz 90%lean beef, 1 Tbls Olive Oil

I constantly rotate calories between 3000-4000, so on certain days this will change a bit, with additions of natural peanut butter, or more eggs and beef. I take 10g of creatine (5 pre, 5 post) and sip on 15g glutamine while I train. BCAA’s I take with every meal. Hope this helps. Any other questions just ask.[/quote]

Titan,

Can you provide an example of what you eat on a Saturday. I am shooting for 1000 grams of carbs myself but am struggling with it.

Adding to Alpha Dragon’s question, if it’s not a free for all on the weekend, and your diet is still pretty clean, how are you able to take in over 8000 cals/day? Can you give an example of a typical Saturday, including cheat meals? Thanks again

I can’t see any pics! Did you take them down?

[quote]AlphaDragon wrote:
titan strength wrote:
AlphaDragon wrote:
Hey man,

Thanks

AD

AlphaDragon,

Its nothing for me to consume upwards of 8,000-10,000 calories on Saturday alone. These meals are relativly “clean” as well. I let myself have 1-2 cheats over the weekend, but nothing extreme. Hope this helps. Any other questions just ask.

Fair enough, Titan.

I was actually considering doing basically what you’re doing for the next time I bulk (after I win this stupid bet-thing), so I’m glad to hear it works so well for you.

Although I will ask you what your cheat meals consist of, as you’ve said you don’t get too extreme with it?

Thanks

AD[/quote]

Cheat meal number one is usually upon waking Saturday morning. This past weekend I had 10 pieces of french toast made with whole wheat 12 grain bread, 3 omega 3 eggs, 3 egg whites, and 1 cup of syrup.

The next (and last) cheat is usually the last meal of the day Saturday. This past weekend I had a large cheese pizza (8 slices) and five homemade low sugar oatmeal cookies that taste better than the real thing. These two meals change weekly depending on what I feel like. Sometimes I’ll have ice cream, burgers and fries, pasta, ect.

[quote]animalmj wrote:
Adding to Alpha Dragon’s question, if it’s not a free for all on the weekend, and your diet is still pretty clean, how are you able to take in over 8000 cals/day? Can you give an example of a typical Saturday, including cheat meals? Thanks again[/quote]

This past Saturday. Each meal about 2 hours apart

#1- 10 pieces french toast with whole wheat 12 grain bread, omega 3 eggs, 1 cup syrup.

#2- 2 scoops protein mixed with 2 cups oats, 1 tbls natural P.B.

#3- 5 oz chicken with 3 cups brown rice and 1 cup grilled vegtables, 1 Tbls Natural P.B.

#4- Same as 2

#5- Same as 3

#6- Same as 2

#7- Same as 3

#8- Large cheese pizza, 5 low sugar oatmeal cookies made with whole wheat flour.

[quote]Miserere wrote:
I can’t see any pics! Did you take them down?[/quote]

Pics are still there! At least I can view them. Anyone else having trouble?

Pics are still there! At least I can view them. Anyone else having trouble?[/quote]

Damn, I must be lucky, then… :-s

I can see pics on other threads, just not yours.

Miserere wrote:

Pics are still there! At least I can view them. Anyone else having trouble?[/quote]

I see them look’n good. I’m interested to see how well you bulk on the AD.
I think your high carb days are a good idea. I cut down the last two weekends and its affected my workouts and slowed my gains a bit. I might eat a carb meal tomorrow night just for this week then bump it up this weekend.

What made you come up with 1000g sat 500g sun? Do you use a particular formula? Do you do any depletion workouts? And finally could you post your strength progress its kinda hard to tell differences in size with photos. I think strength levels are a good indicator of progress.

[quote]Hagar wrote:
titan strength wrote:
Miserere wrote:

Pics are still there! At least I can view them. Anyone else having trouble?

I see them look’n good. I’m interested to see how well you bulk on the AD.
I think your high carb days are a good idea. I cut down the last two weekends and its affected my workouts and slowed my gains a bit. I might eat a carb meal tomorrow night just for this week then bump it up this weekend.

What made you come up with 1000g sat 500g sun? Do you use a particular formula? Do you do any depletion workouts? And finally could you post your strength progress its kinda hard to tell differences in size with photos. I think strength levels are a good indicator of progress. [/quote]

Hagar,

No real formula for the weekend. I just pay very close attention to how my body looks and feels. The 1000/500 formula has worked well thus far. However, like you, I also play with the weekend. This weekend for example I’m only going to load on Saturday and will only use 1 cheat meal instead of two. Always keep the body guessing.

As far as strength goes, I will have to keep you posted as I go. I may get flamed for this, but strength (at least for me) is of little importance. Feeling the movement is all I care about. Strong is a relative term. I can make 135 feel like 400 on a bench press if I slow the movement down and squeeze like there is no tomorrow.

I do realize though that weight must be progressive, its just to me that term means when I can achieve perfect form for a certain number of reps. Hope that makes some sense. What is your AD diet protocol? Do you have any pics? You seem to be one of the few who have a good grasp on the diet.

As far as strength goes, I will have to keep you posted as I go. I may get flamed for this, but strength (at least for me) is of little importance. Feeling the movement is all I care about. Strong is a relative term. I can make 135 feel like 400 on a bench press if I slow the movement down and squeeze like there is no tomorrow.

I totally understand how you lift. I’ve known some great body builders that used the same philosophy with outstanding results. I work out like that 1/2 the time.

I do realize though that weight must be progressive, its just to me that term means when I can achieve perfect form for a certain number of reps. Hope that makes some sense. What is your AD diet protocol? Do you have any pics? You seem to be one of the few who have a good grasp on the diet.[/quote]

My diet is very similar to yours just but at slightly lower cals 340g pro 180g fat 30g carbs. I don’t have any pics and I gotta say I would be a little embarrassed to post since I put on too much fat at the beginning of the diet but I’ll see if I can get some decent pics. I’m 5’8.5" 208lbs and ~18% bodyfat. Arms are 17.5" cold.