Tired/Sleepy After Eating Breakfast

Every time I eat breakfast I get really tires/sleepy. What could be the cause?

I have tried all kinds of macro breakdowns carbs, no carbs, just fat, high protein etc. as well as amount of calories from 400-800.

what are you eating?

do you wake up groggy/foggy?

I get more tired after meals when I am not well rested. If not something with your sleep, perhaps it might be a food allergy? Unless you are engorging yourself each morning and getting food coma.

Eating activates the parasympathetic nervous system. It basically tells your body, ?great we caught food, now let?s, rest, recover, and digest."

I personally find it counterproductive to alertness.

A better question is, why are you eating breakfast? Because you are hungry, or because kids cartoons made you think you should? If breakfast makes you tired, don?t eat one.

I first ate potatoes or rice with veggies and chicken. I thought that maybe carbs were the problem so, I switched to just coconut oil and chicken or eggs with some broccoli but, 10-15 minutes later I get tired. I even tried just veggies and coconut oil.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Eating activates the parasympathetic nervous system. It basically tells your body, ?great we caught food, now let?s, rest, recover, and digest."

A better question is, why are you eating breakfast? Because you are hungry, or because kids cartoons made you think you should? If breakfast makes you tired, don?t eat one.
[/quote]

I work in a warehouse so, I figured I should eat something to fight muscle loss. Am I wrong?

Today, all I had was a strong coffee in the morning and some veggies/fat mid-day I felt great all day.

[quote]maverick88 wrote:

I have tried all kinds of macro breakdowns carbs, no carbs, just fat, high protein etc. as well as amount of calories from 400-800.[/quote]

And you started this thread too: Weight Drop - Supplements and Nutrition - Forums - T Nation

Do you have normal blood sugar?

[quote]mertdawg wrote:

[quote]maverick88 wrote:

I have tried all kinds of macro breakdowns carbs, no carbs, just fat, high protein etc. as well as amount of calories from 400-800.[/quote]

And you started this thread too: Weight Drop - Supplements and Nutrition - Forums - T Nation

Do you have normal blood sugar?[/quote]

I have never tracked it.

I do not know if it would answer anything but, I do not overeat carbs. All of my carbs are eaten pre/post training.

Could it be some type of deficiency?

A lot of people have blood sugar spike in the morning even without food, from morning cortisol, and even eating fat can dull insulin sensitivity and cause blood sugar to go up. There is a school of thought that the body was not designed for breakfast, at least very early, which is why you get cortisol to bump up blood sugar without food in the morning.

Since you wrote in the other thread that you lost weight immediately after your higher carb and calorie days, I thought that the only real way to lose weight after a carb up day is if you are getting high blood sugar which makes you dehydrated. Hydration is the main thing that changes weight fast. The other is how much is in your colon, and I guess its possible that a higher eating day could stimulate removal of colonic waste ie get things moving.

[quote]maverick88 wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[/quote]

I work in a warehouse so, I figured I should eat something to fight muscle loss. Am I wrong?

Today, all I had was a strong coffee in the morning and some veggies/fat mid-day I felt great all day.
[/quote]

Unless you are a serious competitive bodybuilder or something, it’s pretty inconsequential. I’d skip breakfast and just get my calories in later. But it you are really concerned with being catabolic you could try some BCAAs in the morning.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
A lot of people have blood sugar spike in the morning even without food, from morning cortisol, and even eating fat can dull insulin sensitivity and cause blood sugar to go up. There is a school of thought that the body was not designed for breakfast, at least very early, which is why you get cortisol to bump up blood sugar without food in the morning.

Since you wrote in the other thread that you lost weight immediately after your higher carb and calorie days, I thought that the only real way to lose weight after a carb up day is if you are getting high blood sugar which makes you dehydrated. Hydration is the main thing that changes weight fast. The other is how much is in your colon, and I guess its possible that a higher eating day could stimulate removal of colonic waste ie get things moving.

[/quote]

If checking for blood sugar problems when should I test?

[quote]maverick88 wrote:

[quote]mertdawg wrote:

[/quote]

If checking for blood sugar problems when should I test?[/quote]

Somewhere between 40 minutes and 140 minutes after eating breakfast, though I might check twice, about 40 minutes and just before 2 hours.