T Nation

Tired of Spinach - Try This...

I've been eating Mache in my salads and just decided to get additional nutritional info. It tastes great and from the sounds of it is pretty good for you too!

Epic Roots Mache is Good for your Heart

Epic Roots M?che is as healthy as it is delicious and beautiful. A recent study by the renown French Nutritionist Dominique Lanzmann (Co-Editor of the journal Nutrition and Aging and the author of the book The Longevity Diet) confirms yet another nutritional benefit of eating mache: A three ounce serving of M?che contains 12% of the RDA of Omega 3 fatty acid vital for circulatory health, and a proven way to reduce the risk of heart attack. According to Dr. Lanzman, ?This amount is significant because the typical person only consumes about 25% of the RDA.?

Other leafy greens such as spinach and kale contain Omega 3, but only purslane (a key component in the diet of the residents of the Greek Isle of Crete known for their low rate of heart disease) has more of this essential nutrient than M?che.

Besides Omega 3, M?che is an excellent source of Vitamin A, and C, Iron, Folic Acid and Zinc. It is a good source of dietary fiber, Potassium and Calcium. Mache has only 20 calories per three ounce serving.

One serving of this wonderful vegetarian salad contains more than 50% of the RDA of Omega 3.

last time i had good mache was when i saw audioslave last year.

Where can I get it?

I'm a week and a couple of days in to the V-Diet, so I haven't set foot in a grocery store in a while, nor do I even dare...
Is Mache something you can find in a run-of-the-mill grocery store produce section? I usually go right for the spinach, so I haven't looked for it.

I bought it at Whole Foods.

He's here all week, folks.

-FC

Mache is my favorite green for a salad. In the Northeast, though, it seems like I can only find it for a few weeks in the spring.