T Nation

Tired of Looking Like Everyone Else

hey guys new to the forum. im 19 years old 5’8 and 140 pounds…not too skinny but not muscular either just average, but im tired of looking like everyone els and thats what basically got me interested in bodybuilding. i have been reading up on the workouts and how to bulk and i can say i have got the "eat to grow "part down.

i hit the gym seriously today and followed a routine. i try to go as heavy as i can until i cant push out any more reps. i started with chest and shoulders today. i just had a question.

all the other guys i see in the gym can bench so much weight but i can only go as high as one 25 lb plate on each side, am i doing something wrong? i tried very hard to keep to the technique i saw on abcbodybuilding.com.

it doesnt seem to hit my chest much and my arms give out like on the 7th rep. and if it is my arms, then how can i train my triceps to come upto par with my chest? its weird that my bench is so pathethically weak but i can dumbell bench press 40’s in each hand, i kno thats nothing for all of you here but for some1 who never lifted in his life not too bad eh lol?

[quote]fatkat wrote:
hey guys new to the forum. im 19 years old 5’8 and 140 pounds…not too skinny but not muscular either just average, but im tired of looking like everyone els and thats what basically got me interested in bodybuilding. i have been reading up on the workouts and how to bulk and i can say i have got the "eat to grow "part down.

i hit the gym seriously today and followed a routine. i try to go as heavy as i can until i cant push out any more reps. i started with chest and shoulders today. i just had a question.

all the other guys i see in the gym can bench so much weight but i can only go as high as one 25 lb plate on each side, am i doing something wrong? i tried very hard to keep to the technique i saw on abcbodybuilding.com.

it doesnt seem to hit my chest much and my arms give out like on the 7th rep. and if it is my arms, then how can i train my triceps to come upto par with my chest? its weird that my bench is so pathethically weak but i can dumbell bench press 40’s in each hand, i kno thats nothing for all of you here but for some1 who never lifted in his life not too bad eh lol?[/quote]

If you can press 40’s for reps, then your chest is fine. How close is your grip for bench press anyways? And don’t worry about other people. It’s not worth it in the long run.

[quote]fatkat wrote:

it doesnt seem to hit my chest much and my arms give out like on the 7th rep. and if it is my arms, then how can i train my triceps to come upto par with my chest? its weird that my bench is so pathethically weak but i can dumbell bench press 40’s in each hand, i kno thats nothing for all of you here but for some1 who never lifted in his life not too bad eh lol?[/quote]

don’t worry about becoming “up to par” start with something like starting strength or typical 3 day split: legs/push/pull PROGRESSION in weights and reps is the key. For optimum growth you’ll need to chain yourself to the squat rack for the next year.

Money movements:
bench press (chest/shoulders/triceps)
military press (shoulders/triceps)
back/front squats (legs)
deadlifts ( back OR legs)
powercleans (I’d consider it back)
weighted chin ups (back)
bent over row (back

secondary movements:
glute hams
tricep ext.
curls
leg press
leg ext/curl
flys
facepulls
lateral/front raises
shrugs

All sorts of different stuff you can try. I’d recomend sticking to your basic 5x5 or rippetoes. But if you want to dive into ao bodybuilding style split right away, might as well learn to make a decent one.

ex:
my legs day (squat day, I’m a powerlifter)

Backsquat to heavy single
boxsquat for 5s and triples
glute ham raises
close stance leg press for fives and triples

my grip is slightly more than shoulder width apart. yeah i think the trouble is my arms, my triceps r really weak.

lol im dreading leg day, i was dissapointed in my bench, squats look even harder lol. but hey everyone has to start at the bottom i guess

Back in high school when I first started lifting one thing that really helped my bench a lot (50 lb 1rm increase in 3 months) was doing push ups. I didn’t really follow any program or anything, just every couple of nights when I was bored I’d do various set/rep schemes and play little competitive games with myself so I’d do more (like I’d set a goal to try and pyramid down and up from 10 to 1 one day then next time would be 12 to 1 and back) or I’d see how many reps I could do in three sets to failure and try and improve that the next time. I don’t think it really matters what you do but just the fact that you do it will greatly increase strength based on neurological efficiency.

I know you’re supposed to forget about the numbers and when you lift you should be competing against yourself and not some bloke in the gym you never met - but I can’t help wondering if I’m putting in the guts when I lift.

I’ve been lifting for about 5 or 6 weeks now and i’m up to 15 LB DB’s for bench-press and military press and 20 LB DB for rows but I hear about people lifting like 180, 230, 300 LBS and can’t help wondering if I got something wrong - how can they do that? How?

[quote]Niranu wrote:
I know you’re supposed to forget about the numbers and when you lift you should be competing against yourself and not some bloke in the gym you never met - but I can’t help wondering if I’m putting in the guts when I lift.

I’ve been lifting for about 5 or 6 weeks now and i’m up to 15 LB DB’s for bench-press and military press and 20 LB DB for rows but I hear about people lifting like 180, 230, 300 LBS and can’t help wondering if I got something wrong - am I being a lazy git or is it really just about what you ‘feel’ like you can cope with?[/quote]

I’d like to echo what has been said about everyone having to start somewhere. First time I started lifting I had the bar fall on me doing bench. Embarrassing.

More to your question though, it’s really about pushing yourself. The only way to know what weights you can handle is to try them - which is why so many people talk about progression and the importance of constantly trying to set PR’s. Next time in the gym, pick up the 25s and give it a shot. Although, six weeks isn’t a very long time (although I’m sure it seems that way sometimes!)

To the OP. Your diet will make the most difference in your strength and muscle gain out of any factor. Make sure to pay as much (or more) attention to that as you do you your lifting. Lots of food at frequent meals will make you a happy lifter.

Also, those of you who only weigh in at 140-150, especially at the beginner stage, are going to put up less weight then a 200lb beginning lifter, simply because you have less muscle mass.

[quote]ninjaboy wrote:
Also, those of you who only weigh in at 140-150, especially at the beginner stage, are going to put up less weight then a 200lb beginning lifter, simply because you have less muscle mass. [/quote]

Oh yea, never thought of that.

Pick a program from this site by one of the top coaches:Dan John, Waterbury, DeFranco, Thib etc…Just pick any that takes your fancy

Do it faithfully for a month and stick to the exact guidelines.

Then try another, and another. Take 3-5 days rest in between each program.

After a few months you’ll see which one your body best responds to. Go back to this and you can now do any tweaking you were itching to do initially.Keep this as your mainstay/A program.

Completly change programs after 6 weeks for a few weeks and then go back to your A program. Keep on cycling like this and you’ll make continous gains.

Get tons of sleep, protein and water.

Props on the sneaky-ass hijack, Niranu :wink:

fatkat, you’ll do fine. You’re a beginning lifter at 140 and you can bench 95. Nothing wrong with that.

Have someone else check your grip. Using just the bar, lower it to your chest. Your forearms should be perpendicular to the floor with the bar at your sternum. On DB press, you’ll naturally tend to keep your forearms vertical to balance the weight.

Keep working at it. Don’t get discouraged. Like I said, you’ll do fine.

Don’t feel bad about the weight you use in the bench, everyone has to start somewhere and your chest isn’t going to look like so-and-so’s because you lift the same weight, your chest will develop according to the intensity YOU train it at. Bench press has a lot to do with coordination, leverage and other factors as well. A good bencher will use lats,triceps,shoulders, and then chest to move the weight through the plane.

If your goal is to isolate the chest here are a few pointers:
1.) as you grip the bar squeeze “in” this will activate the pecs (on a side note if you get into position and grip the bar in then pull out to propper hand spacing this activates the ulnar nerve and henceforth the triceps)
2.) dips are a better chest exercise if they are easy for you try adding weight.
On propper benching techniques under authors look up Dave Tate or Ian King on this site they have both written some great suff in terms of increasing your bench and propper form.

Other than that, best of luck with your goals and congradulations on your decision to improve yourself. This site is about the best resource available both staff and members are great!!

Find a good program, lift hard, try to not eat crap, and you will see good gains. For better gains, read up on nutrition and fix your eating habits. I started out at 5 ft 6, 170 pounds with a 50 pound MAX bench. A year later, I was 15 pounds lighter, benching 100 pounds, and feeling good. A year after that, Im 6 ft (grew very fast) 175 pounds, and I bench 135. Not very good, but it has been a complete transformation from when I started. It was embrassing lifting 50 pounds when I started, but you have to swallow your pride/ego and just do it.

the eating part i beleive i have down, im not eating clean but i get my protein in with every meal, (all fatty red meat). i hear no-explode will help my endurance and help me increase my strength, can anyone vouch for that? today i focused on tricep, biceps and forearms.

for the tris i did tricep kick backs and the skull crushers and tricep extensions, i tried doing a couple of parallel bar dips but i cant seem to get the form right because it only strained my shoulder instead of working my tricep. lol i was so mad about yesterdays bench i went in ther mad and tried to lift 100 on the bench…lol i got 3 off but hey its a start i guess

fatkat if i can give you one word of advice its to only do these exercises: bench press, military press, deadlift, bb row, squat. If i could do it all over again i would make sure i hit my shoulders a lot harder because now i have my shoulders are slacking and i have to work them up to my desire until im happy because to me having big shoulders lets people know that you work out

yeah shoulders traps and forarms are probably the things im most envious of and it seems power lifters have the biggest traps and forarms, so im thinking of training like a power lifter, they look so solid, well the lean ones anyway lol

Train for tomorrow. Let sleep and consistent eating get you the rest of the way. It isn’t a overnight thing. Little by little nurture the desire you already have.

Starting Strength

or

Westside Barebell for skinny bastards…

One thing that i have to tell all my friends when they start lifting with me is to check their ego at the door. Of course a 150 pound 6’3" guy is going to squat a shit load less then a 200pound 5’8" guy at 16%bf. There are 275 pound guys that destroy me.

To up your tricept strength, do weight dips (the first excerise you should pick on the monday / friday lifts off of WSB4SB.

They have added over 2 inches to my arms since I started doing them in december. that and the weighted chin ups.