T Nation

Tired of Looking Almost the Same

Over the past few months , Iv had a lot of strength gains . That can be attributed to the fact that Im just a beginner and the gains have come very steadily .

However , Im confused as to why Im actually busting my ass three times a week ?? Im not talking about doing endless bicep curls and side laterals . Every time I try to do them , I feel like Im betraying myself and I should rather be doing some closed grip bench presses .and I love it .

I want to look atleast buff as I understand getting a body shredded to muscles takes years . I focus on compound lifts and try my hardest not to cheat even a bit . But still I have to deal with this doughy chest fat and an over-spilling waist line …

I certainly have no intentions of being strong but not looking that part .

my question is : how does one get ripped( or lose that embarrassing chest fat and love handles) while following the strength way ? are there any tips to make some changes ?? or is it that maybe I`m not doing enough ?

Post diet.

[quote]enoscent wrote:
or is it that maybe I`m not doing enough ?

[/quote]

How would anyone know if you don’t say what you are actually doing? You need to be more specific in your enquiry.

Sounds like you’re ignoring body parts. And have a bad diet. And only lift 3 days a week.

[quote]enoscent wrote:
how does one get ripped( or lose that embarrassing chest fat and love handles) while following the strength way ? are there any tips to make some changes ?? or is it that maybe I`m not doing enough ? [/quote]
If you’re “busting your ass three times a week”, then you must not be posting every workout in your training log here. I just took a look at your log and this is all you have down for the last month or so (if I’m reading it right):

Mon 4/30
Squat 4x5-8, 1x1
Face pull ?x?
Biceps curl ?x?
Straight leg deadlift 3x5

Sat 4/14
Squat 1x10, 7x2-5
Overhead press 3x4
Biceps curl ?x?

Sat 4/7
Squat 2x10, 5x2-5
Biceps curl ?x?

Fri 4/6
Barbell row 5x5
Deadlift 3x2-3
Rack pull 3x8-9
Biceps curl ?x?

Tues 4/3
Squat 4x2-4
Close-grip bench press 4x5-6
Biceps curl ?x?

Sat 3/31
Barbell row ?x?
Deadlift ?x?
Close-grip bench press ?x?
Biceps curl ?x?

Like I said, you might be doing other workouts that you aren’t posting, which is fine, but really… what kind of plan is this? Your training is all over the place with no apparent rhyme or reason and no consistency.

Actually, the only thing you’re pretty consistent with is those biceps curls you were complaining about. And squats, which is at least a start.

Almost two months ago, I suggested you get on Dan John’s Mass Made Simple program. You decided not to, which is certainly your decision. But if you choose not to use some kind of well-designed plan that’s been shown to work over and over again, you forfeit the right to complain about a lack of progress.

Either make the necessary adjustments or keep doing what you’ve been doing and “enjoy” the results.

Last time you started a thread about fixing your training, back in March, we found out you were eating high carbs, high fat, and low protein. Have you changed that yet? What did you eat yesterday?

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]enoscent wrote:
how does one get ripped( or lose that embarrassing chest fat and love handles) while following the strength way ? are there any tips to make some changes ?? or is it that maybe I`m not doing enough ? [/quote]
If you’re “busting your ass three times a week”, then you must not be posting every workout in your training log here. I just took a look at your log and this is all you have down for the last month or so (if I’m reading it right):

Mon 4/30
Squat 4x5-8, 1x1
Face pull ?x?
Biceps curl ?x?

Sat 4/14
Squat 1x10, 7x2-5
Overhead press 3x4
Biceps curl ?x?

Sat 4/7
Squat 2x10, 5x2-5
Biceps curl ?x?

Fri 4/6
Barbell row 5x5
Deadlift 3x2-3
Rack pull 3x8-9
Biceps curl ?x?

Tues 4/3
Squat 4x2-4
Biceps curl ?x?

Sat 3/31
Barbell row ?x?
Deadlift ?x?
Biceps curl ?x?

Like I said, you might be doing other workouts that you aren’t posting, which is fine, but really… what kind of plan is this? Your training is all over the place with no apparent rhyme or reason and no consistency.

Actually, the only thing you’re pretty consistent with is those biceps curls you were complaining about. And squats, which is at least a start.

Almost two months ago, I suggested you get on Dan John’s Mass Made Simple program. You decided not to, which is certainly your decision. But if you choose not to use some kind of well-designed plan that’s been shown to work over and over again, you forfeit the right to complain about a lack of progress.

Either make the necessary adjustments or keep doing what you’ve been doing and “enjoy” the results.

Last time you started a thread about fixing your training, back in March, we found out you were eating high carbs, high fat, and low protein. Have you changed that yet? What did you eat yesterday?[/quote]

Fuknn kids

LOL at only training 5 times in April yet wondering why you look the same.

I’ve fucked up if I only train 5 times a week.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]enoscent wrote:

Mon 4/30
Squat 4x5-8, 1x1
Face pull ?x?
Biceps curl ?x?

Sat 4/14
Squat 1x10, 7x2-5
Overhead press 3x4
Biceps curl ?x?

Sat 4/7
Squat 2x10, 5x2-5
Biceps curl ?x?

Fri 4/6
Barbell row 5x5
Deadlift 3x2-3
Rack pull 3x8-9
Biceps curl ?x?

Tues 4/3
Squat 4x2-4
Biceps curl ?x?

Sat 3/31
Barbell row ?x?
Deadlift ?x?
Biceps curl ?x?

Last time you started a thread about fixing your training, back in March, we found out you were eating high carbs, high fat, and low protein. Have you changed that yet? What did you eat yesterday?[/quote]

wow I appreciate your taking the time to give a detailed reply . I do workout 3 times a week and havent missed any of them . I just didnt update my log.

For squats I follow the principle given in this article :

This is my workout schema:
In assistance variation , i obviously can`t do all at the same time . So out of the given ones , I do maybe 2 every other workout .

a)squats ( warm up, heavy weight-5 , medium weight-24reps (over 2 ,3 sets) )
Overhead press variation ( military press, one hand dumbell standing press )
Assistance variation ( Face pulls (4 x 10) , Bicep curls ( 4 x 10,12 ) ,Tricep variations )

b) Barbell bent over rows ( 5 x 5 )
Chest press variation( closed grip , wide grip{not done lately cause of some slight pain in right delt } , chest press machine{very rarely}

Deadlift{every other week }
Assistance work ( trying pull ups , holding plates for grip work , bicep curls etc)
Rack pulls (atleast 3 heavy sets )

I tried the program "Mass made simple " but the trainers told me not to do the complexes specially with the olympic bar :frowning:
It`s small and the only one I can go to .

By lack of progess I mean mostly the upper body (sans the delts which also look ok ) as I feel my lower body is getting bigger …
seriously , chest fat i see IS embarrassing …

[quote]enoscent wrote:
seriously , chest fat i see IS embarrassing …
[/quote]

You didn’t post your diet. It is equally important, and Im guessing as you havent jumped at the opportunity to write it down and let everyone see it, it’s far from ideal.

One other thing, if you have body fat which you want to lose, why are you only training 3/7 days?

A simple 4 day split would probably be more effective for you.

1)chest/back
2)off
3)legs
4)arms
5)off
6)shoulders
7)off

and if wanting to get rid of bodyfat is causing you more stress than building muscle, maybe hypertrophy/strength training can be sidelined for some fat burning cardio work until you reach you ideal level of bodyfat?

Nonetheless: POST DIET

[quote]enoscent wrote:
I do workout 3 times a week and havent missed any of them . I just didnt update my log.[/quote]
That’s what I was truly, truly hoping.

Can you post exactly what you did do for the last two or three weeks? I’d like a more complete snapshot of exactly what you’re doing in the gym.

[quote]For squats I follow the principle given in this article :
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/more_reps_bigger_legs [/quote]
That’s a nice article and the guy who wrote it usually knows what he’s talking about.

However, I don’t see any elements of that article in your workout plan.

[quote]a)squats ( warm up, heavy weight-5 , medium weight-24reps (over 2 ,3 sets) )
Overhead press variation ( military press, one hand dumbell standing press )
Assistance variation ( Face pulls (4 x 10) , Bicep curls ( 4 x 10,12 ) ,Tricep variations )

b) Barbell bent over rows ( 5 x 5 )
Chest press variation( closed grip , wide grip{not done lately cause of some slight pain in right delt } , chest press machine{very rarely}

Deadlift{every other week }
Assistance work ( trying pull ups , holding plates for grip work , bicep curls etc)
Rack pulls (atleast 3 heavy sets ) [/quote]
Not only is this mish-mash not a complete, well-thought-out program, but the six workouts you did log over the last month/that I posted above don’t even follow this layout.

You could use two dumbbells for the complexes, or just find another program. You need to follow a pre-designed plan.

To repeat myself: “Last time you started a thread about fixing your training, back in March, we found out you were eating high carbs, high fat, and low protein. Have you changed that yet? What did you eat yesterday?”

I should have realised this before. This is cool ! In fact , also your another article on overhead presses is what got me started on them .
I`ll surely follow a well defined program soon.

Due to college ,exams an stuff , its hard to have a well defined plan . I dont remember what I ate cause I just grab anything that has protein in it like whey shake , milk , almonds, dry fruits…

These are the last 3 workouts I did >

Yesterday :
Squats:
132 x 8
198 x 8
198 x 4 x 4
269 x 3 x 2

Overhead press(standing):
after light warmup
84 x 5
105 x 4 x 3
110 x 5

Face pulls:
4 x 10 ( @60)

Stiff leg deadlift
88 x 2 x 10

Before that :
bent over barbell rows :
88 x 8
137 x 5 x 5

deadlift
198 x 4
264 x 3 x 3

Rack pulls:
264 x 9
330 x 5 x 3

Extra workout day ( like I did last week)

Bench press:
88 x 10 x 4

Pullovers:
25 x 10 x 3

Dumbell one hand tricep skull crushers :
28 x 10 x 3

Face pulls
4 x 10 ( @50)

Misc:
BW:
1st nov 2011 when I started : 165
1 jan 2012 : 176
now : 188

is 23lb weight gain in 5 months ( January was almost totally off ) good enough or should it be more ?

I know you are a vegitarian, but what about eggs? They are rich in protein and they are anabolic.

Your program is too basic for the ‘frilly’ lifts you have in there. Face pulls are great for warming up and getting your shoulders right, but not for work sets in a 3-day-a-week routine. You’re also wasting time and effort by switching body parts when you’ve just barely warmed up the last one.

Try a push/pull/legs routine, and pick lifts that allow you to move a lot of weight in a short amount of time while hitting the area from different angles.

Push:
Superset warmup with light arnold presses and cable crossovers (or peck deck)
Military Press
Weighted Dip (target the chest)
Superset: Incline Cable Flye/Lateral Raise

Pull:
Superset warmup with light face pulls and RDL’s
DL
Lat pull (or pullups if you’re strong enough to do them right)
Superset: High Row/Shrugs

Legs:
Superset warmup with light leg curls and front squats (all the way down)
Squat
Barbell Reverse Lunge
Superset Stiff-legged RDL/Calf Raises

Just an example, but this would definitely make better use of your time and effort. Throw some arm and ab work in on ‘extra’ days (you’ll find more ‘extra’ days if you like working arms).

[quote]enoscent wrote:
I`ll surely follow a well defined program soon.[/quote]
The sooner, the better. Seriously.

That’s a crap excuse.

These articles have some ideas for planning your meals ahead of time. It’s not as hard as people think:

This is why you’re fat. Out of even those four examples listed, only one is mostly protein, the other three are giving you a bunch of carbs and/or fat along with whatever protein they might have. As florelius said, eggs would be a great idea if you can.

[quote]These are the last 3 workouts I did

Yesterday :
Squat
Overhead press(standing):
Face pulls:
Stiff leg deadlift

Before that :
bent over barbell rows
deadlift
Rack pulls

Extra workout day ( like I did last week)
Bench press
Pullovers
Dumbell one hand tricep skull crushers :
Face pulls[/quote]
As I’ve said a few times now, this is a mixed up plan with no real direction. It’s better than you not being in the gym at all, but barely.

I understand that you’re trying to focus on the big lifts, but without a completely thought-out plan of attack, you’re going to be spinning your wheels just like 99% of the people in the gym. They show up a few days a week, they lift a little of this and a little of that, and they look the same month after month, year after year.

Four or five pounds a month, every month, and I don’t get the impression that it’s mostly muscle. So no, it should not be more.

I’d also say it’s not “good enough” because you said you were going to fix your diet almost two months ago. If you fixed it back in March, you wouldn’t be in the kind of shape you’re in now. That’s an extra 8 weeks you’ve been adding more fat than muscle, and an extra 8 weeks you’ve not been training correctly.

Talk about lessons learned the hard way? Dude. Come on now.

honestly if i were you man, just do your homework, clean up your diet(thats not to say eat less necesaarily), get on wendlers 5/3/1, and like Wendler says “lift, run, stretch”. you can improve body comp and get stronger especially as a fresh beginner. it doesnt gotta be complicated, lift run stretch

Ben Bruno made a sold “College Edition” program. If i recall correctly, its push pull legs with an optional “fun day”. Which would work well if you’re busy with college. Though being in college myself, you just got to make time. Cut down on Facebook time, have good sleep habits, study hard but also study smart (ie dont waste time). And get on a proper eating schedule. results will come.

Hope that helps in working with your college schedule.

For food prep, a cheap slow cooker/rice cooker is your best friend (credit Chris Shugart from the livespills for INdigo with the idea)