Tired of Ignorance

Is anybody else tired of dealing with people that are COMPLETELY ignorant to bodybuilding and the lifestyle.

There are sooo many things that bug the hell out of me but an occurance today sparked this. Somebody found the ephedrine/caffiene stack that a buddy is taking to prep for a show and people started telling him that he should just drink a mountain dew or tea if he’s “trying to stay awake”

They didn’t even get that he’s trying to burn FAT not taking it to stay AWAKE!

Then they were talking how they never watched what they ate that close when they were younger and never had a problem gaining weight. I was like “HE’S DIETING DOWN TO LOW BF% LEVELS SO HE WILL LOOK GOOD ONSTAGE! HE’S NOT DIETING TO PREVENT HIMSELF FROM GETTING FAT!”

I’m just venting now…anybody else tired of the idiocracy. lol

Gerdy

-there better not be anybody curling in the squat rack tomorrow or I’m goin off! lol jk

I hear ya. Something that just never ends.

there are a million and one threads on this topic, you should have posted in one of them. Yes the ignorance is annoying but so is the same few replies your going to get.

People should be generally knowledgeable about a healthy lifestyle. It’s in their best interest. But so what if they don’t relate to a bodybuilding lifestyle?

Sounds like you woke up a bit cranky, Gerdy. :slight_smile:

The general populace shouldn’t be posting about things they don’t understand in an area they are ignorant of.

This is Testosterone Nation, a site dedicated to bodybuilding (or so I thought). I think seeing intelligent posts by informed contributers is a reasonable expectation.

It is unfortunate that it is so rare.

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
Is anybody else tired of dealing with people that are COMPLETELY ignorant to bodybuilding and the lifestyle.

There are sooo many things that bug the hell out of me but an occurance today sparked this. Somebody found the ephedrine/caffiene stack that a buddy is taking to prep for a show and people started telling him that he should just drink a mountain dew or tea if he’s “trying to stay awake”

Then they were talking how they never watched what they ate that close when they were younger and never had a problem gaining weight. I was like “HE’S DIETING DOWN TO LOW BF% LEVELS SO HE WILL LOOK GOOD ONSTAGE! HE’S NOT DIETING TO PREVENT HIMSELF FROM GETTING FAT!”

Gerdy

-there better not be anybody curling in the squat rack tomorrow or I’m goin off! lol jk[/quote]

When you feel the frustration rise to a level that might make your head explode, stop for one brief second and reflect. Think to yourself ‘I could be a refugee in some squalid camp in the Sudan,’. Quite suddenly you should feel much better about the whole thing.

D

I used to get really pissed off with such people, but over time, I’ve learned to ignore their opinions with a smile.

JTG: ya I have participated in some of the other threads, but I wanted my own, I don’t think that many people care about cluttering the get a life forum. lol :stuck_out_tongue:

Iron Dwarf: I don’t care if people aren’t knowledgable, etc about a bodybuilding lifestyle, but they shouldn’t argue with me about things they are completely clueless about. If somebody tries to educate me on a topic they know nothing about I get frustrated sometimes. lol

Mick: ya I know and I have pretty tough skin, I was just bored last night and was a little frustrated. lol I know what you mean tho, because this seems like a daily occurance.

Sic: You speak the truth! :stuck_out_tongue:

Dedicated: Ya I know it can always be worse. I have a couple friends and 2 cousins currently serving overseas. I am in their’s and all others who served debt. People wouldn’t even get the chance to ignorantly argue with me about bodybuilding if it wasn’t for our soldiers. Bodybuilding wouldn’t even be possible. Thanks man.

Professor V: I want to help people and that’s where my frustration sets in, but unfortunately I’m starting to follow that same path as you with just walking away with a smile.

Thanks guys

Gerdy

Gerdy

-there better not be anybody curling in the squat rack tomorrow or I’m goin off! lol jk[/quote]

Get over it, you must be young. I’m 44 and people don’t even ask or comment on my weightlifting stuff. And when they ever do, which is almost never, I just give them a short and sweet polite explanation.

It actually doesn’t bother me. If anything I LIKE that people think I’m a little odd.

It shows that we are separate from the pack and not a bunch of mindless followers. It tells the world we have will power and dedication that they don’t and that is why they call us meatheads or say we are crazy.

Well it just so happens that if this is crazy, than I enjoy being crazy.

God forbid a non-lifter thinks someone is using caffeine - a known stimulant - to stay awake…what kind of crazy talk is that?

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
It actually doesn’t bother me. If anything I LIKE that people think I’m a little odd.

It shows that we are separate from the pack and not a bunch of mindless followers. It tells the world we have will power and dedication that they don’t and that is why they call us meatheads or say we are crazy.

Well it just so happens that if this is crazy, than I enjoy being crazy.[/quote]

Kind of in the same boat. I like the ignorance, it just means they’re gonna stay flabby and look like crap while we will continue to grow and look good.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
Dirty Gerdy wrote:

Gerdy

-there better not be anybody curling in the squat rack tomorrow or I’m goin off! lol jk

Get over it, you must be young. I’m 44 and people don’t even ask or comment on my weightlifting stuff. And when they ever do, which is almost never, I just give them a short and sweet polite explanation.

[/quote]

I am young, 20 years old. Maybe there is a reason people aren’t asking you stuff about bodybuilding.

I do give the polite explanation. It’s when people argue with me when they have no clue what they are talking about that I get frustrated with people.

Gerdy

[quote]anonym wrote:
God forbid a non-lifter thinks someone is using caffeine - a known stimulant - to stay awake…what kind of crazy talk is that?[/quote]

If they only knew that the 600mg he was taking daily was less than what most people consume with energy drinks and starbucks daily.

The talk of “OMG he’s going to have a heart attack taking this, you should drink Mountain Dew instead” was kind of absurd.

Gerdy

[quote]905Patrick wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:

Kind of in the same boat. I like the ignorance, it just means they’re gonna stay flabby and look like crap while we will continue to grow and look good.
[/quote]

well if you guys put it that way…i can go with that… at least there is a few other poeple who enjoy being a little crazy with this stuff. lol

Gerdy

If I say I’m tired will it go away!!

You might as well learn to live with it(ignore it)or kill yourself because ignorance is about as readily available as air in this day and age.

[quote]Analog_kid wrote:
You might as well learn to live with it(ignore it)or kill yourself because ignorance is about as readily available as air in this day and age.
[/quote]

Really? I didn’t know that.

905Patrick wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:

well if you guys put it that way…i can go with that… at least there is a few other poeple who enjoy being a little crazy with this stuff. lol

Gerdy[/quote]

Gerdy,
As you know, bodybuilding has always been outside the mainstream. That’s probably not ever going to change.

People always feel intimidated when people show fierce dedication in any endeavor. Part of it is ignorance, fear of the unknown, and some of it is jealousy. Most people are average in most every respect, most people don’t fulfill their talents or follow their dreams and goals with tenacity and when they cross paths with someone who does, it reminds them of their own inadequacies, so they rationalize to make themselves feel better instead of actually being inspired to chase their own dreams with passion.

People love to tear down others who are having success, usually through condescending remarks; you even see it here on this site. Being young and “inexperienced” leaves you even more open to such treatment.

You can’t control what the “average” person does, but you can control how you live your life. So the hell with them, you’ll continue to grow and accomplish, and that’s the best revenge.

[EDIT] Fixed extraneous word.