Tire Weight - Even A Best Guess

Any idea how much there tire would weigh?

I tired my best to find out but I drew a blank. I took a picture of the sizes on the side.

3 Likes

I trawled a load of technical specs and could place it. Thanks.

1 Like

I’m sure it will vary some due to wear but that should give a general idea.

1 Like

Yeah that’s close enough. Gonna call it 200kg (450lbish) for training purposes. Need a way to make it heavier. I’m thinking bitumen paint in void.

1 Like

I guess that would work! I wonder how many coats it would take to make a difference?

Maybe @hardartery knows how to make one heavier.

I was just going to wait for a warm day and pour 25lt into it…

1 Like

Epoxy resin and sand maybe? You’d need a rubbering agent to make the epoxy less brittle.

1 Like

Not sure what “Bitumen paint” is, but any weight inside makes a difference. The easiesta thing would be an inner tube filled with water, but the weight would shift toward the ground as it came up making it easier as you went. You could maybe put sand in and inflate an inner tube to hold it against the side - but you’re really only going to get sand added to one side really that way. we just went to the local industrial tire place and asked for a heavier one to move up. They always have junk ones that they have to pay to dispose of, so they’re ususally happy to give you one for free. The main thing is whether or not it’s a Radial tire. That steel banding in a Radial adds hundreds of pounds to the same size tire. There will be an “R” before the rim size, like “R27” or “R29”.

1 Like

My first thought was inner tube as well but come up with the same problem of weight shifting.

I was thinking if you could find some steel plate you could just screw equal sized pieces into the thick thread all the around to distribute the weight evenly.

1 Like

Bitumen paint is just a liquid that when you expose it to open air dries to form a semi flexible solid. Kinda like a very stiff rubber.

You would not believe the trouble I had getting these tires. In the UK there are waste laws that mean IF I were an inspector and they sold me / gave me a tire that was deemed “waste” - they could/would be fined or imprisoned. If that’s not crazy enough for you I have genuinely sent dirt off of a construction site to a tip . A land fill site at that. I had to pay for it to be treated as “waste”. I couldn’t send it on to another project we had that needed it. They had to buy it from a supplier.

I have plenty of ideas, but they are all a little complicated. He could probably epoxy or Liquid Nails a hose in rows (Like a big coil) to the insode nd then fill the hose with something. Lead shot, water, depends on how much hose and how much weight. He could screw chain to the tire inside, which would probably require washers with the screws. I can come up with all kinds of work for someone else…

3 Likes

Good thinking! I didn’t even think about chain… niiicccee!

The correct strongman way to add weight to a tire is to have your sub-90kg training partner(s) curl up inside the tire.

Also, the correct way to weigh a tire is to call it at 1000lbs unless it proven otherwise (which you never allow). If the competition tire is too heavy then either the weight was oddly distributed, the wear made it difficult/slippery to grip or they overshot the weight.

1 Like

Do you know how often I use LOL and have not “laughed out loud”? All the time. But not this time. This time I genuinely LOL.

I think paint in to the voided bit will work.

2 Likes